Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let me know what you think!

(It may take a while to download because it's 50MB but it should be worth the wait.)

It's the top one with my name (Jake Reynolds) next to it.

Click Here

Jake

·
Registered
753 Posts
Pretty cool, dude on the R1 almost bit it a few times though. Steering damper's are your friend:eek:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I know I've had a few scary "incidents" on the R1. I need to get a damper but I've actually gotten quite good at getting myself out of tankslappers.

·
Registered
753 Posts
jake.reynolds said:
Yeah, I know I've had a few scary "incidents" on the R1. I need to get a damper but I've actually gotten quite good at getting myself out of tankslappers.
So how do you get out of them

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I think that the most important part is knowing that a headshake is going to happen before it happens.

The only headshake of me in the video is the one in the dark where the camera is filming from behind me. The other guy is on an R6 and ironically he is in the same spot that mine happened in (just a couple of weeks later when I happened to be filming it.)

Anyway, if you watch me in the video, you can see me shove my weight all the way forward right before the wheel touches the ground. This was because I felt the wind blow me and I knew that no good was going to come of that wheely. I was already off balance because I'd been wheelying over a mile. All I do is let completely off of the throttle and fight it. Don't let the bars come out of your hands or your done. Unfortunately, my right leg came off of the peg in this one and I put a dent in my tank.

I also like to keep tension on the bars when I'm doing any "high stress" riding. It's kind of like a human steering damper. Whenever I'm taking a corner that changes in elevation, or I'm on the gas over something bumpy, I'm pushing outward on the bars. This helps a little bit until one can afford a damper.

·
Registered
304 Posts
jake.reynolds said:
Well I think that the most important part is knowing that a headshake is going to happen before it happens.

I also like to keep tension on the bars when I'm doing any "high stress" riding. It's kind of like a human steering damper. Whenever I'm taking a corner that changes in elevation, or I'm on the gas over something bumpy, I'm pushing outward on the bars. This helps a little bit until one can afford a damper.
Sounds good to me, Jake. Thanks for taking the time to give us that riding tip! Awesome video!:) I hope to be able to stunt like that one day!:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds good to me, Jake. Thanks for taking the time to give us that riding tip! Awesome video! I hope to be able to stunt like that one day!
You're welcome. I'm glad you liked it. If I'm still alive and my bike's intact, I'll have more next summer!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Paul748S said:

Sounds good to me, Jake. Thanks for taking the time to give us that riding tip! Awesome video!:) I hope to be able to stunt like that one day!:)

Why don't you tell him how to do it paul before he kills himself:)
I know you know how

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
jake.reynolds said:
All I do is let completely off of the throttle and fight it.

I also like to keep tension on the bars when I'm doing any "high stress" riding.
I tried fighting it once. Yeah uuh, it didn't work. I ended up pulling muscles in both my upper arms, totalling my bike and spending a little over a night in the hospital.

I was told (after I wrecked) that you are supposed to not fight it, but open the throttle and "power out of it" with little steering input involved. Have you heard differently? Have you tried this method, and if so, have you found your way to be more effective?

·
Registered
304 Posts
CBR Brutha said:
I tried fighting it once. Yeah uuh, it didn't work. I ended up pulling muscles in both my upper arms, totalling my bike and spending a little over a night in the hospital.

I was told (after I wrecked) that you are supposed to not fight it, but open the throttle and "power out of it" with little steering input involved. Have you heard differently? Have you tried this method, and if so, have you found your way to be more effective?
Whoa!:eek: Geez, Nick, why so hostile? Jake posted to share a video he made with all of us. I thought it was pretty cool. Why are you trying to roast him? Lighten-up.:)

So, Nick, what bike are you riding these days anyway?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Paul748S said:
Nick, why so hostile? Jake posted to share a video he made with all of us. I thought it was pretty cool.
I didn't mean to come across as hostile at all. I thought it was a quality video. I was asking about the tank-slapper techniques because I really wanted to know, not to be a smart-a$$.

I'm not riding any bike these days. Thanks for the reminder Paul. I knew I could count on you! :finger:

·
Registered
304 Posts
CBR Brutha said:
I was asking about the tank-slapper techniques because I really wanted to know, not to be a smart-a$$.
Don't start back-pedaling now, Nick. You know that you were calling him into the ring. How many times have you survived a tankslapper? By the sounds of your previous post, your last one kicked your ass. So are you a subject matter expert, or are you simply providing us with your opinion?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't see how one could "power" out of a tank slapper with the bars ocillating seven or eight times a second. The last headshake I had was in the video you guys watched. It shook so bad that the brake fluid sucked out of the lines and into the resevoir leaving me with no front brakes. There's no way I could have kept the throttle open with the bars going back and forth... not to mention that I was at the very top of second gear when I set the front wheel down. That doesn' t leave much room for powering out of anything.

Anyway, that's my f*#king video and in that video is footage of me getting out of a 110mph tankslapper using the methods I foolishly wasted my time describing to you all earlier. If anyone else has video of that kind of nature using a different technique then I'd like to see it. Otherwise keep quiet.

I have no idea why everyone on this site is so damned smug about.... well... absolutely nothing. There's a freaking thread in the daily riders forum solely dedicated to a picture of some guy eating while riding his touring bike. The morons that were posting were saying things like the guy shouldn't be allowed to ride.. etc. I've never seen a more foolish group of 30 year old men. It's really funny.

Piss off :twofinger

·
Registered
304 Posts
jake.reynolds said:
Anyway, that's my f*#king video and in that video is footage of me getting out of a 110mph tankslapper using the methods I foolishly wasted my time describing to you all earlier. If anyone else has video of that kind of nature using a different technique then I'd like to see it. Otherwise keep quiet.
Fact! Thanks again, Jake. Very cool.:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts