Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A video of Jorge Lorenzo's crash in practice for the China GP. No subtitles needed.

Ouch

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd watch it again, but it takes 5 minutes to load. I'm uhh... buying... the Alpha SR-71.
The SR-71 is extremely fast, but has the lift coefficient of a piano, so keep the throttles spooled.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Should do mach 3.2 at 60,000-80,000 feet

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Speed first, then trade for altitude......grasshopper

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can take her up to 10,000 and pitch straight down and not break 600 Knots. There is no trade for trade. That is just simply a poorly made model. :)
Dumbass...density altitude has a lot of effect. Level off @20,000 feet and build up speed (don't pitch down). If you can't build enough speed to climb to ~40,000 feet then you do have a bad flight model.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm, that's weird. Speed/altitude have a certain relationship, and given a certain temp/dewpoint you can only attain a certain airspeed at a given altitude in any given aircraft. But given that it is powered by two engines that have power comparable to the space shuttle, I find it interesting that you can't get above 600 @ FL 200

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Back to the crash, does anyone have a good idea of what actually happened? Most highsides are caused by too much throttle on corner exit, but thats not the case here, he hasn't made it that far.
As near as I can tell, he wheelies just a touch coming out of the first corner, causing him to transfer weight very harshly on to the front when he starts entering the second. With the weight up front, the bike pivots around the front tire and throws him off. Am I close?

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I first saw it when watching the BBC airing of the race. I searched for a vid that showed just the crash, and this is the first one I came up with. Not sure exactly what happened, but it looks like he did come down on the front a little hard, and the rear got a little out of place.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Wow, that was the high side from hell! Jorge pulled a real Hermann Maier there!

When I saw it the first time, I was really surprised by the high side. I think you got it Vash, he really loaded up the suspension on the transition from the previous corner into the next one. The bike didn't really have much time to settle down and I agree that the front end was too heavily loaded.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I was really suprised to see that gap of air under the front tire. If I was going thru a tight switchback like that, I wouldnt even get on the gas in between the turns, and just try to do them both at one consistent speed. Which is why I am not a pro racer I guess. These guys try to make the most of every corner exit, even if they only have 12 feet to go before having to brake again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts