Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever ridden this place in central Arkansas? It comes highly recommended from a Harley-riding friend and I'm gonna do it next weekend. Hwy 7 is an official Arkansas scenic highway or something, so I'm hopeful of some good twisties and little traffic. If I like it I may take an extra day (I'm packing a tent) and do the Talimena Scenic Byway which goes from Mena, AR to Talihina, OK. The brochure description says that is "curve after curve of scenic . . ." Who cares about the scenic, I want the curves! They're hard to come by down here in West Monroe, LA.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
It is a great area to ride. My in-laws ride their Goldwing there alot. I haven't been there in a while but I don't think things have changed that much in the last 3 years. Great scenery and good curves. Have fun.

BTW, don't go snooping around Mena too much. If you run up on some illegal activities turn your head and run or Clinton's boys might kill you. :D:D

You damn Democrats don't start your crap... I'm just kidding... Clinton don't hang out there anymore. ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
If it's not still raining this weekend I might be there myself. I'm in Little Rock. The curves are very nice. Be careful of the hidden cross streets though. I haven't seen too much traffic on it except during the summer months.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm back. Pretty nice ride but too much traffic on Sat. afternoon north of Hot Springs. Kinda frustrating 'cause the cages can't keep their speed up on the curves. It was amusing seeing a couple of them (who saw me in their mirror and knew what I was about) try to speed through the curves and run onto the shoulder or cross the lane at speeds boring to me. Also, it was too cold Sat. so I got a late start and took many thawing breaks so I didn't cover as much ground as I would have liked. Sunday morning on the way home was great as there was no traffic and it was warmer. I had no problems with cross-street pullouts, thank goodness. I did have to hard brake for deer once though. I'll try to go back as soon as I can predict a warm weekend. It was worth the ride up from LA, 'cause much of Hwy 7 is fun even south of the National Forest. For those that haven't been there, there are many, many curves posted at 40 to 50 mph (which for newbie me means 60 to 75 mph). The roads are in good condition. Let me know if you wanna hook up - I'm sure I could learn a lot from more experienced riders and I'd be happy to buy you a beer for the lesson!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hwy 7 is nice as are lots of roads around there.My folks retired 5 years ago to Hot Springs Village which is north of Hot Springs right on hwy 7.I'm going to pick up a ZRX1200 to keep down there so I have a bike to ride when I visit.The whole area is a sportsmans paradise with golf,fishing,hunting,boating....and lots of good tarmac for gittin it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Highway 7 is a nice run. The better parts are south of Ola, but when you get North of Russellville, it's nothing but high speed sweepers up to Jasper. Between Jasper and Harrison, it's a full out mountain run. The ride is a bit long, but it's worth it. Once you get to Harrison you can go to Mt. Home and ride hwy 341, another road I've heard about.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Pete,

You better be reading this stuff. This is the roads to ride in the area. ;)

LEDSLED,

My parents have a houseboat on Lake Ouchita and my in-laws live near Hot Springs Village. Maybe we know your parents. Are there names Mr. and Mrs. LEDSLED? :D Just kidding. That is a nice area to retire in. It has gotten too big yet. :cool:

To the others, Pete and I are considering a Spring time run in Arkansas since it is halfway between Houston, TX and Knoxville, TN. We might just need some leadership from some folks that ride there more frequently. I grew up near there but did not have a bike back then and have only ridden bikes in the area a couple of times. Mom gets too damn nervous when I'm out riding. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
On your way to Knoxville? Going to the gap? If so, lemme go with you! It's been a whole 4 months since I was there last, and I'm needing a fix.

and I'm all for showing you around.

--C

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I live just west of Knoxville. I try to go to Deal's Gap at least once per month in the warmer months. I was there Christmas day(in my truck ;) ). Just let me know when you are in the area. :cool: It takes me about 8-9 hours to drive to my parents home in Arkansas, which is why I don't ride the Hot Springs area roads much. Seems the family wants me to spend time with them instead of riding. What's up with that. :rolleyes::confused: Of course, they will be informed that the spring trip is for riding. :eek:

At least the in-laws have a Goldwing so they like to ride and not just visit. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm jealous.. I'd spend more time with the dragon than with the family; I'm sure I'd enjoy the former a bit more.

I'm thinking of going next May with the EFnet #motorcycles group like I did last year. If I don't get a job soon, aint no trips happening for me, whether I'm hanging out with IRC people or not.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Excellent. I grew up about an hour south of you in a little town named Traskwood. It's sort of between Benton and Malvern. :cool:

BTW, I probably would have killed myself had I owned a sportbike when I was a senior in high school. :eek::p Of course I'm sure the high school chicks really dig it. :D

Maybe we can hook up and ride sometime when I'm out that way. I guess I have to buy the beer. :D:p Just kidding. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I may have gotten close to killing myself once or twice, but I've survived thus far. I've not ridden it to school yet this year. I don't trust anyone there.. and I've had too many books hauled back and forth, I fear my backpack shifting and throwing my line off.

I go down to Bryant all the time here recently, so I almost know the area you're talking about.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
existance said:
I may have gotten close to killing myself once or twice, but I've survived thus far. I've not ridden it to school yet this year. I don't trust anyone there.. and I've had too many books hauled back and forth, I fear my backpack shifting and throwing my line off.

I go down to Bryant all the time here recently, so I almost know the area you're talking about.
I lived in Bryant for a year. You're down there chasing women aren't you. :D They have more than their share. I assume you are looking at college somewhere correct... since you said you actually carry books home? ;) My wife and I went to UCA in Conway. There is some pretty good riding in that area too. Didn't have a bike back in those days though. :)

Have you ridden any roads in the Stuttgart area? They used to film alot of performance car commercials in the area back a few years.

Be sure you let me know when you are going to be out this direction again. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
You have no idea how right you are, I was dating a girl out there until not too long ago.. that whole thing just sort of dissolved.

I'm going to a party out there tomorrow too.

My cousin goes to UCA, and I'm going to Hendrix next fall.

I'll be sure to let you know.. you're near the gap and I may need a place to stay that doesn't involve a certain loaded campground just inside of NC.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
existance said:
You have no idea how right you are, I was dating a girl out there until not too long ago.. that whole thing just sort of dissolved.

I'm going to a party out there tomorrow too.

My cousin goes to UCA, and I'm going to Hendrix next fall.

I'll be sure to let you know.. you're near the gap and I may need a place to stay that doesn't involve a certain loaded campground just inside of NC.
Hendrix... are you a nerd? :D:D

BTW, I usually stay at that campground. :D I am getting ready to start on a cabin that is about 12 miles from the Crossroads(in NC). Hopefully I will have it done by spring. It will solve the camping thing. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cool deal on the cabin, that'll be nice.

Yes, I am a nerd.. I'm going to Hendrix for their acceptance rate into medschool. I can't very well have the huge collections of motorcycles I want without some sort of good income, can I? :)

Of course, it's not all for the money.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just got back from Hot Springs Village for Christmas....my God what a nightmare....ice storm knocked out power...phones..had to build a fire in the fireplace for 3 days....Usually fishing and playing golf at Christmas.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts