Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry for the OT post.

Anyway, I've got a few questions for anyone with some serious gym experienced. Hit me up via PM.

thanks in advance,
-chr|s sedition

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Just post them in here man. That's what this forum is for. :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, gym stuff. basically i am trying to wade through the bullshit of programms, approaches, and thories about lifting. I've only had real informal education around the best way to make use time in the gym (i.e. friends and high school gym class). I've read tons of stuff (most of it contradicitng each other in some way) and met with a trainer about 5 times. that was pretty much a waste of time and money. I learned a few new excercises, but in terms of putting me on focused training path it was lacking a lot. My over all goals are to put on muscle mass (i.e. go for the cut look) and lose what little body fat i have (at most 5 pounds away from having a visable 6 pack again...i'm like 5'10 155-160lbs skinny ectopmorph). What i dont want to do is waste time in gym w/o any results, nor do i want to end up in a blind-leading-the-blind position of following advice from friends that have no idea what they are doing. So i guess my question is what has worked for you or others you know? what thories do you know to be bullshit? where did you learn what you know from? etc...

-sedition

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I took two years of weight lifting in high school, and currently use a home free weights sytem.

According to what I was taught, there are two main approaches. The first being aerobic, which would be lifting less weight over more reps and more sets to improve stamina, cardiovascular health, etc. The second is mass building, being lifting more weight for less reps over less sets, the only purpose being to rip the muscle, and force it to rebuild and thus, increase mass and muscle size. (And body weight, of course)

For mass building, you need to find out what your maximum lifting abilities are for each of the workouts you want to do. The max is the absolute maximum amount of weight you can lift, thus not many reps will be possible. A buddy to spot you is pretty much imperative when finding your max. Once you know your max, you lift at a weight that is below it, but as close to it as possible, depending on whether you are alone or being spotted by a pal. A lot of times when I bench / squat (the two most important excersises, for my money), I'll lift very close to my max, for only 5 reps or so, maybe only for two sets. Depending on your energy level for the day, or time since your last workout, the number of sets / reps you can do will vary.

That's the way I do it, as I am not particularly concerned with an overall health regimen. My only goal is muscle, not heart health, or body fat %. After a heavy lift, you'll want to eat some meat of some kind (I prefer beef), in order to get the protein necesarry for muscles to regenerate. If you eat before you lift, lift within 8 hours of eating, because after that time, the body will have processed the protein, and the oppurtunity to maximize the bonus of the meat is lost.

I'm no expert, and I'm certainly not highly educated on the matter, but this works for me.:2cents:

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Ok, here's the best advice I was ever given with regard to bodybuilding...

There are no magic techniques or supplements (excluding illegal shit) that will turn you into Mr. Olympia overnight. The most important contributors to your bodybuilding success are time and attitude. The only way to cheat time is to poison yourself with illegal drugs...not an option! Experiment with different routines, keep accurate workout journals, and eat right. Time is on your side if you respect it.

In my experience as an aspiring natural bodybuilder, it's all about your attitude, focus, and realistic goal setting. This time last year I was at 200lb, 5'10" under 10% body fat. Strong as ever, pressing 110lb dumbells for 10 reps, leg pressing 800lbs for reps, working out 5 days per week. When I started I was at 169lbs @ 6% bodyfat. I set the realistic goal of putting on 30lbs naturally and stayed focused every day. I talked to people I respected in the bodybuilding community, avoided the magazines and hype, and got my ass into the gym everday (when my routine dictated that I was supposed to be there)! I rested when I was supposed to, ate what/when I was supposed to, and learned how to ignore the seemingly endless bad advice the knuckleheads at the gym wanted to dispense.

Read Bill Phillips' book, "Body For Life." He'll teach you how to stay focused and motivated.

Good luck.

ps - if you want specifics on supplements, diet, routines, etc just ask. :thumbs2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Another good book to read is Brawn. It stresses ignoring the hype by and about those people who are either genetically gifted, using heavy drugs or both and going with the basics until you have enough muscle to work with for shaping.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
I've followed along sidewaysducati's path and was pleased with it (before I ran out of personal time). Effectively, if you can throw in running for stamina, going the small rep # route is the way to go for mass building.

As with you, I've read extensively. Three things showed up as important. Protein following a workout, which I take as a shake because its usually just before bed. Sleep is key because that's when the muscle rebuilds itself. Lastly, the types of exercises chosen, at least initially, should work more than one specific area of muscle if time constraints or equipment will be an issue. Unfortunately, I can't remember the term (DOH!) for these kinds of exercises.

I accept that these may not be FACTS per se, but I've seen them in many more than one place and that's sufficient for me to conclude they're worthwhile considerations. As for particular exercises, do as slaintedan recommended and ask that specifically.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
What about reducing body fat%? In other words getting skin to stretch over muscle?

I've been starting with running a mile (<9min), rowing half. Then going to light weights, with many different type of exercises. 3 sets of 10 on each. From what I'm reading here it sounds like I need to go for heavier weights, and more universal exercises.
Also is it really harmfull to get all this done early morning as oppose to late at night? I dont think I could stick to a schedule late in the day.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
mykneegrows said:
Steroids........"D-ball" ask for it by name @ your local dealer - good stuff
:rolleyes:

The guy is asking for serious weight lifting advice, not how to become a fucking juicer. If this is all you have to contribute then don't bother.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Chris Sedition said:
My over all goals are to put on muscle mass (i.e. go for the cut look) and lose what little body fat i have (at most 5 pounds away from having a visable 6 pack again...i'm like 5'10 155-160lbs skinny ectopmorph).
Ok chris, listen to me. I was EXACTLY your height and weight 1 year ago. I was 5'10 and was tipping the scale at 155. I am now 175. Basically i was a walking skeleton. I could lift an abnormal weight for someone my size, but I could not put on an ounce of muscle. So finally i found out what I had to do. Eat. And when I when i say eat, i mean a fu*k load. But if you're going to put on weight to turn into muscle, you can forget about the 6 pack. Sorry man, you can't have to both ways. Here's the diet I followed strictly for 5 months.

Breakfast: 4 eggs scrambled, 4 sausage links, 2 pieces buttered toast, large glass of milk

Lunch: 3 hamburgers, protein shake

Dinner 1: 6-8 chicken strips, glass of milk

Dinner 2: Hungry man meatloaf tv dinner, protein shake

Before bed snack: Meat sandwich, glass of milk

If you're like me that will put the weight on you. I know it sounds like a lot of food, but you get used to it. I really wanted to get bigger, so i set my mind to it like anything else and ate like a freak.

Now, you can't just keep eating and not working out. You have to lift for muscle mass. This could also be considered a body building routine. If you want, I'll send you my old schedule in the form of an excel document. Or you could look up a body building routine on the net.

If you can stick with that for 6 months or so, you will put on muscle. Then you can work on shedding the excess fat to gain your “cut” look, as well as get your 6 pack back. I’m sorry if none of that helps, but hey, I’m in class and the prof is rambling on about something or other.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Vash said:
What about reducing body fat%? In other words getting skin to stretch over muscle?

I've been starting with running a mile (<9min), rowing half. Then going to light weights, with many different type of exercises. 3 sets of 10 on each. From what I'm reading here it sounds like I need to go for heavier weights, and more universal exercises.
Also is it really harmfull to get all this done early morning as oppose to late at night? I dont think I could stick to a schedule late in the day.

Vash, most respected sources say that the optimum time to work out is early in the morning. That is when you are supposed to have the most energy. Also because your body hasn't been put through the stress of a 8-10 hour work day/commute.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I don't know how scientific this is, but I do "one armed weeny tugs" 3x a day and my left arm is H-U-G-E. I can eat whatever I want, too. Doesn't seem to affect it eather way. ;-)

Seriously.....I had a friend who was a natural bodybuilder...He told me the key is NOT eating any fat. It takes a TON of energy to convert it into usable energy. He used to buy turkey breast like it was going out of style. Also make sure you eat LOTS of vegetables and limit your carb intake. Aslo make sure you rest each muscle group 1 whole day, IF....you are going for size, not tone..

Jimmy G

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Vash said:
But if you were going for tone?
It works the same way with tone as far as the rest cycle is concerned. The only difference is more reps and lighter weight.:2cents:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Tippmann said:
Vash, most respected sources say that the optimum time to work out is early in the morning. That is when you are supposed to have the most energy. Also because your body hasn't been put through the stress of a 8-10 hour work day/commute.
Very true:thumb: .

But, if you work out late in the evening you burn off all the fatty foods you have eaten during the day. I tried both and found it better in the morning as I could lift longer without tiring. Lifting in the evening made it very difficult for me to get in bed and go to sleep at night.:2cents:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Vash if you are also going for muscle tone then the simple three up step. Meaning wts you feel comfortable with & say 20 reps, then a break for a minute & with addition wt of say another 5 or 10 lbs & go for 12 or 15 reps then another minure break & up the wts 5 or 10 lbs & aim for 8 or 10 reps.

After a month plus you will have realized you could step up even the start off weights to even up the same gap at the latter reps.

Still so much on body or muscle building that you have to buy a book or two & try to pick out what is best. Look at all the above suggestions being so different.

It is even harder then have others suggest what you should do with a bike you want to use for track racing only.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Smitty said:
Vash if you are also going for muscle tone then the simple three up step. Meaning wts you feel comfortable with & say 20 reps, then a break for a minute & with addition wt of say another 5 or 10 lbs & go for 12 or 15 reps then another minure break & up the wts 5 or 10 lbs & aim for 8 or 10 reps.

After a month plus you will have realized you could step up even the start off weights to even up the same gap at the latter reps.

Still so much on body or muscle building that you have to buy a book or two & try to pick out what is best. Look at all the above suggestions being so different.

It is even harder then have others suggest what you should do with a bike you want to use for track racing only.
Smitty you are a straight PIMP. I hope that when I am your age, I am still hooking up with the ladies and riding bikes and staying in shape like you.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Smitty:
huh? maybe its the difference between canadian and texas slang, but I often find myself wondering what you just said.

·
Registered
17 Posts
spicersh said:
:rolleyes:

The guy is asking for serious weight lifting advice, not how to become a fucking juicer. If this is all you have to contribute then don't bother.

You're such a loser, I was kidding. Mr. Cyber Bad Boy moderator. There u go again running someone else off the board. This message board isn't my life so I guess I'll get over it. - BOO HOO :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts