Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this is not my favorite place to ride but it is the closest by far. The problem is, it attracts all kinds! That includes LOTSA squid. There is at least one accident every weekend and alot of times its fatal. There was a bad one today, but I didnt stop because there was already 20 people there. It looked like a bad one. :(

On the bright side: There is a small restaurant at the summit overlooking Lake Elsinore which is breathtaking at about 3000ft. of clear sight. Everyone gathers including Sportbikes, cruisers, Harleys, you name it! There is also a really cool system of warning about cops too! When you pass another sportbike (Not Harleys cuz they're anti social pricks for the most part) Anyway, when you pass another sportbike you both either give a thumbs up- a slow down -COP!- and a wave. The system saved me Two tickets just today!

Its very twisty and fun but too many cages and squid to really enjoy it, I will ride up during the week sometimes to practice my twisty riding, but I do enjoy other people too, so its a trade off.

------------------
Kyle J.-
99 Yellow 900RR
email:[email protected]

[This message has been edited by riverrunner_2000 (edited March 15, 2000).]

G

·
Awesome pictures Kyle! Wish we had that kind of scenery (landscape AND bikes) in my neck o' da woods.

------------------
Pete
1994 VFR 750
Houston, TX

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave, I just deleted the pics, It wasnt a very popular post :( thanks for looking though! :)

------------------
Kyle J.-
99 Yellow 900RR

·
Old Guy
87 Posts
Kyle,
How do I find Ortega Hwy on a map? I may be there around July 1 and want to ride it. Where is the Rock Store?

------------------
-Only safe riders become old riders-99 GSXR750

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Ortega Hwy." is Hwy. 74 from the city of Elsinore to I5 in Laguna. If your headed South on the 5 fwy. you would exit at Ortega Hwy. and head East or Left. I believe the exit is in the city of Laguna.

------------------
Kyle J.-
99 Yellow 900RR

[This message has been edited by riverrunner_2000 (edited March 22, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by riverrunner_2000 (edited March 23, 2000).]

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keith,

The "Rock Store" is on Mullholland highway.
It is one of the great motorcycle roads. It runs from Topanga Canyon blvd. in the San Fernando Valley to the Pacific Coast Highway near the Ventura County line. There are several great roads to ride all around this mountainous area.

Another great road is the Angeles Crest Highway. I think it is highway 2 off of the 210 near Pasadena. It heads from LA into the mountain ski areas. It then drops all the way into the desert. So you get twisties in the mountains, and the high speed straights in the desert.

------------------
Kyle J.-
99 Yellow 900RR

[This message has been edited by riverrunner_2000 (edited March 22, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Kyle,
I have ridden to the Rock Store several times. I like that ride, though it is a little long for me(8am-5pm). But it is a good change.
I ride on Route 33 90% of the time. It's closer and I know the road well and most of the riders.
Hey, next time you go to the Rock Store let me know and I will see if some of my friends would like to go and we can meet up.

By the way I'm new here. Today is my first day.
I have question, do I have to put my pass word in every time I want to post a mess. Thanks for the help.

Dan F4 Red/Black

------------------

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dan F4:
By the way I'm new here. Today is my first day. I have question, do I have to put my pass word in every time I want to post a mess. Thanks for the help.

Dan F4 Red/Black
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dan,

Welcome to Sportbike World. I hope you enjoy your stay and visit often!

In your preference settings you can set to keep your password in a "cookie" for up to a year. That way each time you visit the site (on the same computer) the forum will let you know what forums have new topics/messages and it will also remember your username and password.

But this will not work if......

#1 You have cookies turned off in your browser.

#2 Your computer is behind a company firewall.

Any other questions about the site feel free to ask in the chat forum. :)

------------------
Robert Basil
Sportbikeworld Admin
90 ZX7, 94 ZX9R, 97 ZX7R, 98 ZX9R.
It ain't easy being green, but it sure is fun!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dan, Welcome to the greatest forum on the net! I just might take you up on that offer sometime this summer, its rare that I get up that way though.

------------------
Kyle J.-
99 Yellow 900RR

·
Old Guy
87 Posts
Thanks, Kyle! I am planning my route this weekend. I'll be leaving next sat for 23 days of riding.

------------------
-Yeeee-haaaaa!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Rock Store?

I recently moved from Oregon. (Tons of awesome roads up there) What is this famous rock store? I rode Malibu cyn, mullholand cyn, and topanga cyn the other day. I never saw a "Rock Store." I only rode them once, though. Any other roads in the San Fernando Valley I should know about?
Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice

Excellent site Tim! A great variety of twisties that I will have to explore someday. Yesterday I took a 500 mile roundtrip ride to check out one in particular: highway 58. Here is a link of the road:

http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Highway58.htm

Although it was a little chilly out that day (50º) The cold didn't ruin my fun. One of the best roads I have been on. Just me and my VFR and approximately 80 miles of twists, a few hairpins, ups/downs, and high-speed straights. I counted a total of six cars and zero LEOs. Simply amazing! Way better than Ortega and a nice change from Angeles Crest. looking forward to going back when it gets warmer.

Tim, I read some of your journeys- you are a nut! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Highway 58 and stuff...

Glad you found the CALIFORNIA MOTORCYCLE ROADS site helpful and that it may have turned you on to something new. It's been getting a lot of attention on all the message boards lately. Makes all the work worthwhile. I trust my description of the Highway 58 ride fit with your experience on the road. My description is somewhat short although the pics turned out great. Twisties are a dime a dozen around here and I actually like the straight west of Simmler the best! Deserted straights are, well, shall we say, they fit well with the design capabilites of my ZX-11. Interesting that out of all the rides- you give it higher marks than Angeles Crest or Ortega. I trust the site comes in handy when you start to explore that 500 mile radius- you don't always have to ride the same road over and over again. I've done many, many 500-mile solo days and been grinning from ear to ear when I got back. Mind if I cut and paste your comments into the pashnit.com guestbook? ~Tim

Sometimes I feel like a nut. Sometimes I don't.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Regarding signals

JohnnyD said:
Whats the signal for a COP nearby, Honda???

If theres a cop: pat your hand like your patting a dog on top of his head. As in slow down or take it easy

No cop: thumbs up! Hit It!

I like it :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts