Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What's happen'en?

I don't live down there yet. I just wanted to ask some questions about Orlando and Tampa. I live up in Arizona at this moment, but I'm thinking of moving to Florida within the next year or so. Want to be closer to my family which live in Puerto Rico. What can you tell me about them 2 cities?

·
Registered
75 Posts
What is it you want to know? I think the better city to me
would be Orlando, but hey, Tampa is pretty cool to. I don't
know what your occupation is, but the job market is good in
both cities. I think Orlando has more to do for the younger
crowd, but Tampa has Ybor City for the parties real close.
As for the beaches I'm not much on the Gulf of Mexico in the
Tampa area. Orlando is only a jump from the Atlantic which
has the good waves and Daytona is not to far to the north.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.

I want to know the average price on houses there, 3 or 4 bedroom/2 batroom homes, 1200 feet or more. Also how are the schools there, I have a 9 year old. I'm in the hotel buisness, but I work anything and I'll be getting my motorcycle mechanic degree here soon. My dog is a pitbull, there not banded in Orlando or Tampa are they? Thank you again for the help Skeeter-YZF.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Your going to pay more for housing in both Tampa and Orlando
than what I paid. I'm in a somewhat called "rual" county as
compared to the larger cities. I live in Highlands County. I own
a 3BR/2Ba with 2car garage. I have just over 2000 square feet
total house with over 1400 sq ft under air. I paid 82k for what
I have. I had it built in '98 and it's a damn nice home. Now, the
cost will be much higher for homes in Tampa and Orlando. I'd
say if I had the same house built in the other two cities it
probably would have cost me 10 to 20k more if it was in a nice
area. Both cities have some awesome areas to live in. I've seen
some of those real nice gated neighborhoods, but you pay for it
of course.

The schools in Florida are not the best the way I see it. Jeb is
working on that. At, least he says he is. I'd give them the grade
of a C. It should improve in the coming years. Education is a very
hot topic here in Florida. Plus we just voted in Admendment #3
which was for smaller size classrooms.

If you are going to stay in the hotel buisness I would pick Orlando
over Tampa. With all the tourist in the Orlando area they all need
somewhere to spend the night. I think Orlando has the MMI
Motorcycle Machanic Inst there also. Hey, jobs are everywhere in
both cities.

As for your pitbull: In the State of Florida you can own a dog
with no problems; however, you must keep it fenced in with signs
or on a leash. They are not supposed to roam free in the yard.
If they did bite someone and your at fault the courts will have no
mercy on you. Dude, all this is just my 0.02 worth of info for you.
You just have to spend a little time here to see how it works and
if it's the right area to live in. I came down here from the Louisville
Kentucky area and I love it here. And, the best thing of all is you
can ride eveyday of the year in Florida. Good Luck. :cool:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info Skeeter-YZF. Every little bit helps. I really can't wait till I move. I've been here in Az for over 12 years now and I despretly need a change. Just have to tie up some loose ends before I make the move. When I make it down there, we must hook up and go out for a long ride. Thanks again bro.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I've lived in Orlando since 91. You can get a carry permit here! I did. There is no state income tax. You cant be evicted from your home if you dont have a second mortgage. You can pick oranges anywhere. Port Canaveral is just a short drive away so you can take Carribean cruises anytime. Fishing, jet-skiing in Ponce Inlet, fresh seafood, millions of restaurants and shows, lots of jobs, year round riding ( no curves or hills, sorry ). And some truly beautiful places to live if you can afford it. You can get a decent house for 100-150K, really nice ones in the 150-250K range, or if you have the means you can go as high end as you want. Lots of Puerto Ricans here so you should feel right at home. Vamos aqui! Its great.

·
Registered
391 Posts
There are some curves, you just need to know where to go. I live near Lakeland and we have a few. The central part of the state is full of lakes and groves. Some of the roads around them are a blast. Granted nothing like the Gap or anything, but enough to be fun!

·
Registered
7 Posts
orlando

Hey man I live about 20 min. from orlando in a place called Clermont. There are plenty of curves here and Iam about 15 min. away from Disney, 30 min. away from Sea World, And 35 min. from Universal Studios. All of these places have tons of hotels. This place is booming. You con get a 3/2 house starting at 120k and go up as high as you want. The area I live in has built all brand new school. They have kindergarden through college within 3 miles of my house. well best of luck to you

·
Registered
152 Posts
nick_nolastname said:
You cant be evicted from your home if you dont have a second mortgage.
Not true, any mortgage that is defaulted on, first or second or third, can foreclose the mortgage and sell the house to satisfy the judgment. What you are thinking of is the Homestead protection from other judgment creditors. Mortgages are different they are part and parcel of the property and can result in sale of the property.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey man I live about 20 min. from orlando in a place called Clermont. There are plenty of curves here and Iam about 15 min. away from Disney, 30 min. away from Sea World, And 35 min. from Universal Studios. All of these places have tons of hotels. This place is booming. You con get a 3/2 house starting at 120k and go up as high as you want. The area I live in has built all brand new school. They have kindergarden through college within 3 miles of my house. well best of luck to you
This is the place to move right now IMO. Very good homes/neighborhoods for the money.

BTW, this is my first post here. Great board. Getting ready to purchase my first bike in about a month.:)

If you have any specific ?'s about Orlando, let me know. I live right in Touristville.lol 5 minutes from Universal Studios.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome to sBw and thanks for the info. I'm gonna have to go visit and check it out. My brother will be moving over there soon. He will going to school up there. He told me it is out of this world over there.

·
Registered
169 Posts
the thing about schools in florida being bad was not my experience

i grew up in PA and moved my sophomore year in high school to Port Charlotte (southwest fl) The school i went to had some good teachers and i think the teachers were as good or better than the ones i had in PA. Both of my schools were public. I ended up getting a 1300 on my SAT's and i attribute it to an outstanding english and math teacher i had.

Im sure the quality of the school has to do w/ wear you live though so look into that pretty carefully.

I dont know what is going to happen to FLorida Bright Futures Scholarship, but currently i am attending the University of Florida (go gators) and just about everyone who goes to school in FL can recieve 75%-100% tuition scholarship as long as your not a total goon in high school (i got 100% w/ 3.9 gpa 1300 SAT and some community service...but 75% you only need like a 3.0 and 1000 sat score)...of course w/ the Jebs budget deficit they cancelled paying tuition for the summer and who knows how much longer this great scholarship program will last

I'll have my degree in Finance next May. College is inexpensive in florida ESPECIALLY for florida residents (there are 10 or 11 public universities that the Bright Futures Scholarship can go towards...UNF, UCF, UF, FSU, USF, FGCU (i attended for my first 2 yrs...then transferred to UF)...a few others....University of miami isn't public...so instead of paying 30k a yr to go there i decided to go to UF for free.

Siesta Key is awesome (sarasota) it is a white sand beach (literally...the sand is cold when u walk on it at 12 noon when there are no clouds in the sky and it is 90+ degrees)

Hope you like humidity, bugs, and daily showers in the summer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Definitely depends on location for how good public education is... and even in the "bad" schools there are good teachers.

I don't think the Bright Futures Scholarship is going to last much longer. Wish I wouldn't have f'ed around in H.S. so much. I missed that scholarship by .1 on my GPA:mad:

Big difference... I pay about $1200/semester, whereas I would only be paying around $200 per with that scholarship. 4 more classes to go and I'm finished at UCF.

Siesta Key is damn nice... especially the beaches. Orlando gets too damn muggy, so every weekend I ride out to the beach for some good ocean breezes.:cool:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts