Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanna know how the 95 fireblade shapes up as a possible second hand purchase.
I've heard that the 95 model was a particularly agressive model.
How do they rate to the more modern bikes.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I wouldn't think any 'Blade would be considered "tame". For 99.99% of the riders out there, the bike will do more than the rider has the skills to exploit.

From a purchase standpoint, make sure you thoroughly check out the bike, or bring along a bloke that will do it for you. Pay particular attention to engine & transimission function, as repairs there can cost you a bundle. Also expect to do some suspension work, as the stock stuff will be tired-out at this point. A good front-end job and a rear upgrade will make worlds of difference in the handling.

Find a good one and you'll be happy.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The blade in question is a pet project of my brother in law, who happens to be a Honda mechanic with sh*tloads of experience.
Its a bike that has been binned, but is definately straight.
Hes currently putting underseat pipes on it, and getting a custom paint job done.
I might see if I can get some work in progress pics off him and post them. I kinda like the idea of a heavily customised bike, its just the resale aspect that makes me a little weary of it all.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
BobbyDazzler said:
I kinda like the idea of a heavily customised bike, its just the resale aspect that makes me a little weary of it all.

Yes, my thoughts exactly, when reading this thread. It would be like buying a lowered car or truck. They are cool looking and cool to look at, but your market for reasale is very limited. Most folks will not touch a lowered anything. As much as I like the lowered thing, I would only buy a lowered '50-'51 Merc, maybe a '54-55 Merc.

Oh, we are talking bikes here, huh? Hey, that bike is a great bike, but stock, not all duded up with pipes under the seat (hope you like hot buns!), etc. Start doing radical cosmetic things, you are gonna have to ask more money for it to recoup your investment, or be sorely depleted in the wallet upon resale to the maybe one and only buyer who is even interested in taking it off your hands.

Sorry to say, but "1995" is considered "old" by many buyers (not me). Has nothing to do with how the bike will do against the new stuff (like the other guy said, it will do more than most street riders can or are willing to attempt anyway).

I would be real enthused about a bone stock '95 Fireblade in mint condition. Now that would be a bike to ride and get some looks. I would stick to un-obvious alterations. Like a chain or tires, or maybe a well educated internal engine modification. Unless you just love and gotta have the proposed alterations and you will keep the bike a long, long time.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well.

I have a 93 blade and it's still a faster bike then all but the most current 600's, according to specs anyway. And it probably still has more torque. The 93 has 105 hp to the rear wheel stock, and weighs in at like 406 lbs. At the time the 900's weighed a few pounds less then the 600's.

Top speed is only (haha only) around 160mph. But it sure seems to get there with no problem. Limited by gearing not by power.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts