Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have taken the CLASS riding school, what did you think of it? Did you learn a lot? I'm thinking of enrolling but want to make sure it's worth the money. I'm not looking for a racing school, just something to improve my riding abilities.

Thanks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have taken two classes so far, both at Pocono Raceway in Long Pond, Pa. This was, by far, the best money I ever spent on anything motorcycle related. In short, YES, you should sign up for a class, and you will learn an amazing amount. You will also have a blast doing it.

One eye opening thing for me was the difference between track riding and street riding. Also, I saw many examples of the old adage "it's the rider, not the bike." After taking the classes, your riding will definitely inprove, I know mine did. You'll also meet a lot of great people.

Although it may seem like a lot of money to spend, for only a day or two, the dividends will pay on every ride thereafter. Sign up for two back to back days if you can afford to.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My opinion is if you will mainly be riding on the street, a school like Class would be better to take. Class emphasizes smoothness, control, and mastering your bike. Class stresses safety, both on the street and track.

I think a race school would be better if you plan on participating in club racing, etc. I think at some of the race schools, you will be issued your amateur road racing license after going through their school.

Also, at Class, there is really no bike prep required, other than new tires. I believe some of the other schools require safety wiring, replacing coolant w/water, etc.

Either way, getting onto a track with either a riding school or a racing school is a hell of a lot of fun!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the input

Ted, thanks for your opinions. I just signed up for their one day class at Cal Speedway. Lookin' forward to it!:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Class classes

Personally, I hated CLASS. It was my first track experience, and I almost quit riding after it. I took it at Pocono too, about four years ago. There was no real curriculum, no coherent approach, no techniques to be taught and practiced, no structured on track supervision. The track time was just wide open with hotshots screaming around and stuffing beginners, all kinds of lousy stuff. Reg was nice when I emailed him and complained, but I would never go back.

In contrast, taking Keith Code's superbike school resurrected my love of bikes and made me a track junkie. I have been to superbike school more times than I can count and I learn more each time.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Wow, it's strange that we could have such dissimiliar experiences at the same school, at the same track. I took the first one in 98, is that when you took it?

I was in the B group (the slow group), were you in the A group? I found everybody to be courteous on the track, at least in our group. I also asked the instructors for help when I was having trouble, and they were more than willing to give me tips and advice.

I have heard that Keith Code's school is good also, although I haven't taken that one yet. That's great that Code's school worked better for you.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Re: thanks for the input

machinehead said:
Ted, thanks for your opinions. I just signed up for their one day class at Cal Speedway. Lookin' forward to it!:D
Hey Machinehead, I'll see you there. Don't know if I'll be on the Sprint RS or a proper 600cc sport bike, but I'll defintely be there. I'll be the guy riding a few morning sessions then taking photos the rest of the day. Should be fun getting out on a new track before the surface gets torn up.

As for Keith Code's school, I've taken that one too, and my overwhleming complaint about it is that the lines Code teaches are dangerous. Hanging out on the edge of the track then swooping in to the apex is a sure-fire way to cause a wreck when a faster guy is passing you on the inside. Besides, those big swoopy lines are not the fast way around a track. Don't take my word for it, watch the fast guys on Speedvision and see how close they stay to the inside of the corners. Remember watching Ben Bostrom stuff guys at the top of the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca last summer?

Code does have some excellent drills, and I learned some good stuff in his school. But Reg Pridmore teaches you the safe way around a corner. Jason's school is excellent if you want to go faster (been there too). And don't pass up the chance to hop on the back with Reg or Jason. They'll teach you a lot in just two laps.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Hey Photobug, you gonna be there both days or just one. I need some more screensavers like from the last time.

I can't wait for Cal Speedway, this is gonna be great. And only ten minutes from my home so there are lots of people nearby to pick me up at the Hospital.:D :D :D

CLASS was a great experience with no serious stuffing as experienced by the previous post'r. I was in the A group and was given plenty of space when passed and I did the same going in the other direction as this was seriously stressed by Reg and ALL the instructors. As far as not much curriculum, what level rider are you? Reg says not to come if you are a true beginner. I ask because the B group when I rode was pretty slow and anything but aggressive. There was teaching at every break and I found it valuable. If you want someone to lead you around the track or follow and give you pointers you just have to ask. I took advantage of this several times in one day. For the money you can't beat it.

I had nothing but positive comments for Reg and all his staff when finished. As for K. Code, I could do without the dianetics[sp] pitch I received in '92. He was very restrictive too at that time, although I hear he's loosened up recently as far as allowing shifting and braking.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I plan to be there both days. I'm not driving that far for one day ;)

I hope to be there taking photos at the AMA races the weekend prior to Reg's schools, and will stay over for the CLASS days. Gotta get me a smaller bike before then though. I miss my F3. :(

SBW members are invited to introduce themselves in the morning, and I'll keep an eye out for y'all while I'm shooting photos. And yup, I only charge 20 bucks for a CD with full-size JPEGs of you on the track. Helps pay my travel exepnses.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Anyone know where a track map of Cal Speedway infield can be found. Last I checked I didn't see one on the CLASS site or Cal Speedway???? I hear 22-23 turns in a pretty short distance? Anyone have some info?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Never mind, just rechecked and they either added it because of the AMA date anouncement or I just missed it last time. It's kind of hard to find. Anyway, 21 turns, 2.36 miles, some of the high speed banking is used. Ought to be great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Re: thanks for the input

photobug said:

Hey Machinehead, I'll see you there. Don't know if I'll be on the Sprint RS or a proper 600cc sport bike, but I'll defintely be there. I'll be the guy riding a few morning sessions then taking photos the rest of the day. Should be fun getting out on a new track before the surface gets torn up.
Hey Photobug, I'll be the one riding a purple/black/yellow F2. I think that's cool, selling JPEGs of people on the track. I'll try and look you up since I'm kinda curious as to what I look like on the track, since this will be my first time.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
The track maps are on the MAPS section of there website. Threw me for a second, seriously, sounded like directions type info not what we're looking for. Me say duh:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anyone know if reg is running the straight infield track (says it's for testing, schools, etc.) or the Competition motorcycle (the one that looks a whole lot fun'r) course including the banking???????????????

1 - 19 of 19 Posts