Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

I started an introductions thread in the newbie section to give a little background on myself. If you havent seen it yet, i'll recap just a little.

I had a 2001 CBR600F4i while i was in college. I loved everything about it. I owned it for a little over a year and put over 7000 miles on it. No drops or tickets either :)

Anyways, things have settled 'down' in the corporate world somewhat for me, and I think the time is getting right for me to pick up a bike. The loan officer at the bank already gave me a green light on however much money I needed.

My current requirements are:

2003 and newer
600cc's (i dont want a liter bike)
lower mileage
non-suzuki (no offense but I think they're ugly!)

That basically leaves us with the Ninja ZX-6R, 600RR, and the R6. Visually they are all 3 appealing. My first love is the red/black wing scheme from honda. If I found an RR, i would certainly pick this scheme. All 3 bikes offer their own pros-cons and I am looking to get a feel from the crowd here on what they are, and what I need to be looking for, or what to shy away from.

Thanks for any input you may have :)

Andy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,474 Posts
All of the bikes you mentioned are great bikes. Can't go wrong with any of them. Go for the one you think looks best or the one you can get the best deal on. That is all that really matters.

Course, if money wasn't a huge issue I would get one of the new Triumph 675 Daytonas. ;) They are the best looking bike in that class in my opinion and not far off in the hp department. Light weight, great handling and with an aftermarket exhaust would sound insane. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RCjohn said:
All of the bikes you mentioned are great bikes. Can't go wrong with any of them. Go for the one you think looks best or the one you can get the best deal on. That is all that really matters.

Course, if money wasn't a huge issue I would get one of the new Triumph 675 Daytonas. ;) They are the best looking bike in that class in my opinion and not far off in the hp department. Light weight, great handling and with an aftermarket exhaust would sound insane. :)
Money isnt an issue really, but I dont want to get stupid. I'm in the middle of buying a house, so I would prefer to stay in the 6k range

I should add that to a requirement
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
I'd recommend the '05 R6 in either the Raven (black) color or the cool red/black combo. I have the an '05 R6 and I love it, I think you'll love the jump from you're '01 to this.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,442 Posts
I love Yamaha's, but the R6 has never been my favorite. I'd been thinking of an R6 as my next bike, but the closer I get to getting anouther ride, the more I like the ZX6R. It is a damn nice bike. And like you, I don't like zuki's either:twofinger Paint is cheap, so unless your buying new (and at 6k price limit I don't think you are) I wouldn't think to much about color. I also agree with RC, I would take the 675 at the drop of a hat... if I had the cash to do so. Finding a 675 for 6k or less would be very hard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
Cycle World ranks the 600 class as follows;

5. CBR RR - $8999 MSRP
4. GSX R - $8799 MSRP
3. ZX636 - $8699 MSRP
2. YZF R6 - $9199 MSRP
1. Daytona 675 - $8999 MSRP

Sit on 'em and figure out which one fits you best. However, you're close mindedness when it comes to Suzuki's has closed the door on the best mid size Sport bike in production today; The Gixxer 750.

Whatever floats your boat man, good luck.

:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
98Gixxer750 said:

However, you're close mindedness when it comes to Suzuki's has closed the door on the best mid size Sport bike in production today; The Gixxer 750.

:D
Yes, I apologize, but I just cant see myself joyriding on something I think is ugly, not to mention I dont prefer anything over a 600.
 

·
Strength and Honor
Joined
·
6,144 Posts
SepiasSoul said:
I love Yamaha's, but the R6 has never been my favorite. I'd been thinking of an R6 as my next bike, but the closer I get to getting anouther ride, the more I like the ZX6R. It is a damn nice bike. And like you, I don't like zuki's either:twofinger Paint is cheap, so unless your buying new (and at 6k price limit I don't think you are) I wouldn't think to much about color. I also agree with RC, I would take the 675 at the drop of a hat... if I had the cash to do so. Finding a 675 for 6k or less would be very hard.
I'll throw out that a few people seem to believe that the 636 line is coming to an end with the '07 models. The 6RR will remain and there's a 750cc on the horizon, per the grape vine. I suppose time will really tell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,442 Posts
I would love a zx750... that would be sweet. I like the idea of a mid power bike like 750's. Its not a 600 or a litre, but sorta right in the middle so you can be a contender within any of the classes should you so choose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,820 Posts
kanwisch said:
I'll throw out that a few people seem to believe that the 636 line is coming to an end with the '07 models. The 6RR will remain and there's a 750cc on the horizon, per the grape vine. I suppose time will really tell.
I think it's unlikely. This rumour sounds similar to when people thought GSXR750 is going to be scrapped after the 1000 arrives. But Suzuki found that there is niche in the market for it, and so far they've come up with two more generations of 750 since then.

Even if the the 6RR matched the peak hp of big bore 6R, street riders would pick the latter for the extra low end torque, and they've had plenty of sales with the 6R. Although it has decreased the sale for 6RR, Kawasaki only needs to produce enough to race in Supersport class, and offer few with tuned chassis to roadracers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Well since my friends have pretty much got the whole crew you listed in terms of bikes there, and we've all swapped rides, I would have to say the R6 is my favorite. I'm prejudiced however, obviously.


I ride an '01 R6, my bud has an '05 that I love, and I've ridden my buds CBR and the 'zuki.



My bud with the ZX wont let me touch it, wont let anyone touch it actually, thats cool, its his call, so I cant say on that one.


I personally think you're right tho, I would rather look at a dudes balls after he got on his wife on her period than look at a suzuki.


If i wanted decals and random colors everywhere, i'd have a lamo jacket and a zuki.... but i dont... so i dont.


Nuff said.



Get the R6.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,820 Posts
SepiasSoul said:
I would love a zx750... that would be sweet. I like the idea of a mid power bike like 750's. Its not a 600 or a litre, but sorta right in the middle so you can be a contender within any of the classes should you so choose.
There's already one, the standard bike. What you're probably thinking of is a new release of ZX-7R. Unlikely, as I don't think Kawasaki cares to compete GSXR750 again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have pretty much narrowed it down to:

03-05 Red/Black or All Back 600RR

or

05-06 Raven R6

I realize the 06 R6 is out of my target price range, but I have alwasy been the type to spend a little extra if I find a 'good' deal. I really wish I had a friend with an 05/06 R6 that would let me take a ride. My seat would get quite warm on the F4i that I used to own, but I didnt have too many comfort issues. I have never ridden an R6 so it would be interesting to note the differences
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
I also think the R6 is pretty smooth on the comfort issue. I have put 12,000 miles on mine since Feb and I've never had a comfort issue, and I do a 300 mile ride at least once a week, never ever felt uncomfortable, except for my right knee, but thats just because its been fully reconstructed from a high school sporting accident i had years ago, total PCL/ACL/MCL replacement with grafts, and I never finished my rehab.


The ironic thing was i didnt ride back then, and when the doc saw the injury, he was amazed it wasnt a motorcycle accident injury, said he'd never seen a knee look that bad that wasnt one before.
 

·
Strength and Honor
Joined
·
6,144 Posts
If you haven't sat on all the bikes in consideration you're very seriously ignoring one of (if not THE) most important difference among them: comfort. As with helmet's, everyone's got a different taste.

:2cents:
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top