Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is about the best OVERALL bike as far as power, weight, and balance for te newbie rider? I'm hearing conflicting things from diferent people, so suggestions from people that don't have anything to gain finacially from the answers would be very helpful.

·
Registered
142 Posts
godoveryou said:
What is about the best OVERALL bike as far as power, weight, and balance for te newbie rider? I'm hearing conflicting things from diferent people, so suggestions from people that don't have anything to gain finacially from the answers would be very helpful.
You'll hear conflicting things because people are different. I'm not really sure but I doubt anyone here is gonna really make a financial gain based upon what kind of bike you get, much less by making suggestions. What kind of riding do you want to do?

Here are some of my suggestions:
sv-650
gs500
older katana
older cbr 600
older yzf600r
ninja 250
ninja 500

You're just gonna have to go look and sit on some to decide what you want. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Theres a saying in real estate.... Every Seller is a story teller.... meaning if they have something to sell you, they are probably going to lie about something.... eve if it's jst an exhuast... yada yada.

The type of riding I will initially be doing is just to get over fear... after that though I'd be interested in a little cruising, some good high speed runs, and most importantly, carrying a pasanger on the back, which would seemingly dictate a bike with more torque. If you think that souns like an odd thing to consider - it is, but I have my reasons... ;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
If I was in your place and had to carry a passenger I would get this:

I'd still think really really hard about getting a beater before I got it though.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I think the SV650's (naked or half faired) are some of the best bikes available, either for beginners, re-entry or for someone who wants a fun bike that doesn't require a lot of work.

My only concern would be that I don't think it's the greatest for carrying two people, though I also don't think a new rider should be carrying passengers. :rolleyes: I actually can't think of a single "beginner" bike that I consider good for passengers so take that for what it's worth.

Check out www.svrider.com if you like the sounds of this bike, you'll get an overload on info from them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I wasn't going to be carrying any passangers imediately... I don' even think its legal to do so in Ohio while you have your temps. I mean, yeah, that would really impress a girl to have 180lbs of me, with 450lbs of bike on top of me, both on top of her, as her face gets smeared into the pavement. Hey... now that I think about it, it might be an improvement for some women:p

Now is the Red bike an SV, an S, or an SVS (if there is any such thing?) The blue bike is ugly IMHO - the exposed exhuast pipe reminds me of 70's and 80's Honda cruisers, and those are some bike I just cringe when I look at. When did they begin producing these bikes (early 90's - justa few months ago??)

Hey, thanks for putting up wih my newbie questions.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The red bike is a Katana 750 by Suzuki.

I just bought a Suzuki GS 500 as my first bike and I love it. Comfortable riding position and decent power for learning. I don't know about a passenger, though. I haven't carried one yet.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
godoveryou said:

Now is the Red bike an SV, an S, or an SVS (if there is any such thing?) The blue bike is ugly IMHO - the exposed exhuast pipe reminds me of 70's and 80's Honda cruisers, and those are some bike I just cringe when I look at. When did they begin producing these bikes (early 90's - justa few months ago??)
Geez.... Katanaphiles all over are pissing themselves with glee!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tristan said:

Geez.... Katanaphiles all over are pissing themselves with glee!
Not sure how to take that but,
Ahhh..... yeah okay, so I'm just learning..... sorry - unfamiliar territory for me. :(

·
Registered
142 Posts
All those bikes ( the ones I showed the pictures of ) are 2002 models. Are you intrested in a sportbike or cruiser? You haven't really mentioned what style you want.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SportBike 100% The only cruisers I would ride would be somthing like a soft tail HD or a Honda Shadow (poor mans harley).

Besides, sport bikes seem...ahhh.... more sporting? :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
new or used:
Suzuki GS500E
Kawasaki EX500
Kawasaki EX250
any dual sport 250 or 350

used:
Suzuki SV650
Suzuki Bandit 400
Yamaha Seca 650

if you're big (really tall or heavy)
Suzuki Katana 600 or 750
Honda CBR 600 F, F2
Kawasaki KLR 650 (dual sport)

Any of these will do the job. do a search on here, and you'll find tons of information. You need something unintimidating and without a lot of plastic to break. good luck.

·
Registered
202 Posts
this ain't no beauty contest

one: who cares what it looks like... it's you learner, and your gonna drop it. looks aren't that important.

two: some will disagree, but the sv (plain or s) is a little qwirky for a beginner. I learned on an ex500, plenty of power for a beginner. I now own an sv650, and I can see where the qwirky throttle, power and torque could get a newbie in trouble qwick. that said, ride one a month and you probably gain enough experience so that the qwirkiness and power won't be as big a problem

·
Registered
482 Posts
Taste has also something to do with purchasing a bike (or purchasing anything for that matter) The thread author has already stated he doesnt like the exposed engines and mufflers.

SVs is a great bike from what I hear. Shit I'd like one myself. Or the the TLs. But I guess it's moot to suggest the SV or any naked bike to him/her.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have an SV650 and I can agree with the quirkiness of the bike. It's a V-Twin, which means it got low-end torque, plus, it's got a pretty short wheel base, so it doesn't take much to get the front wheel off the ground. The picture that was shown was of the SV650-S, which I have to agree is pretty ugly! I have the naked bike which in my opinion looks better. I've heard the ES500 is a great beginner bike, but I'm not sure if I'd go with a CBR 600, an R6 or a GSX-R 600, they might be a little much for the beginner. The good thing about the SV is the amount of aftermarket stuff available. You can pretty much make it into any bike you want and with a little exhaust and fuel work, it can really move. You might even want to consider something like a 750 Nighthawk, they're kind of plain, but they're reliable and hardly ever require maintenance. Whatever you choose, just have fun riding and above all, ride safe. Welcome to the world.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
slowrat said:
Taste has also something to do with purchasing a bike (or purchasing anything for that matter) The thread author has already stated he doesnt like the exposed engines and mufflers.

SVs is a great bike from what I hear. Shit I'd like one myself. Or the the TLs. But I guess it's moot to suggest the SV or any naked bike to him/her.
Very wise man, you would make a killing in retail or advertising!

It's like the Mustang vs. The Camaro (soon to be dead). The Mustng is slower, has a weaker chasis, old strut type front suspension, and overall poor handling, while the Z28 equal runs up to or over a full second faster in the 1/4, LSA front suspension, Torque arm rear, stiffer chasis, and does 163-168MPH depending on trim (vert - ttop - hardtop).... yet the camaro is going to die and the mustang will live to fight another battle because it makes them (the buyers) feel better to drive the new mustang than it does it drive the new camaro. They like how it looks, they think it's FUN to drive (Which is partially due to the fact the sats are about 3 inches higher than they should be), while the camaro is harder to get in and out of, the seats are in a fighter jet position than a car.... yada yada.

I hate naked bikes. Harleys are okay, if trimmed correctly, same with shadows, but any kind of sport or sport-touring bike that I could ever foresee buying would have to look fast, but untill I learn, not actually be fast. I'm still not sure what the names of the body parts are..... keep on heaing about farrings, and other stuff but I'm clueless - for now...... all I know is plastic on the sides is important to me..... no matter how many peices I smash them into as I'm sure I eventually will :D

But I still very much value the input, it's given me a great direction to start looking into.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts