Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am asking for the opinion of experienced riders for their opinion of getting a 1990, or a little newer, FZR 600 as a first bike. I have very little experience on a bike and have signed up for abait, but that is a little more than two months away. My friend, that has been to California Superbike School, is going to teach me the basics. If I purchase a FZR 600 i plan on going to California Superbike School session 1 ( operating on a limited budget). I know that 600's are alot for a newbie but older 600's have less power than modern 600's. What I am wondering is if this would be a reasonable starter bike and for any advice on riding.

Thanx,
cyber_rider

·
Registered
418 Posts
FZR's are great! I learned how to ride on a 92'. When it came down to a bike of my own I debated between the FZR and the F2. Ended up with the F2 for a couple reasons but FZR's are good first bikes, plus slightly easier on the wallet.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
fzr's aren't ideal. but for a sportbike, it's not the worst choice. reliable, good looking. has enough oddities to teach you about caring for a bike. 91-2 are the best years. single headlight looks GREAT on them. the double headlights are weird.

gs500, ex500, etc. are better choices. but if a real sportbike is your choice, it's a good one.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Double headlights are weird??? I think all the new bikes had a collision with a MIB (Men in Black) sized insect and lost! I think the old endurance style double round headlights are be-utiful! Not that I wouldn't trade my bike with anyone who would offer me a new bike (I would) but I do think the new bikes look strange.

Now to the newbie. I think any older 600cc sportbike is a perfect starter. I don't really agree with some of the people who has riden as long as I have. If you are on a budget, I say get the 600 because just about everyone I know that got a smaller bike (especially a twin) wanted to trade up after one season and you may not be able to afford it. The Yamaha is as good as any other. I personally think the CBR600 may be a little more bulletproof but the FZR is an excellent bike. Just remember it can spit you off pretty quick, so control the right wrist, OK?

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
91-2 fzr600's can be had in great shape for about $2500 and bargains are out there if you look.

wayne. the reason i think the duals look weird on the 600 (and 400) is because they are too big and too close together on the narrow fzr600.

i do think the old gsx-r's (before 91), fzr750/1000 (pre-90?), 93-4 cbr900rr, old zx7's, and of course the beautiful speed triple all look a lot better than the "aero" noses on new bikes. but the 600, they just don't look right to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1990 fzr

Hey everyone. I just got offered a 1990 Fzr for $900 that just needs a chain and exaust. But he doesn't know what size it is. How can I tell if it is a 400, 600, or 1000? All I know at this piont is that it is a 1990 Yamaha FZR Genisis

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Hey everyone. I just got offered a 1990 Fzr for $900 that just needs a chain and exaust. But he doesn't know what size it is. How can I tell if it is a 400, 600, or 1000? All I know at this piont is that it is a 1990 Yamaha FZR Genisis
From a search on this site, it looks like there's a marking on the engine for this. See the reference to size near the oil filter in this thread: http://www.fzronline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6476

If its not there on yours, that's so specific a model question I'd just post it up over there (or on your favorite FZR forum).

·
Registered
162 Posts
You can tell by the seat of your pants . . .

Hey everyone.

I just got offered a 1990 FZ R for $900 that just needs a chain and exhaust.
But he doesn't know what size it is.
How can I tell if it is a 400, 600, or 1000?
All I know at this point is that it is a 1990 Yamaha FZR Genisis.
There should be some vehicle identification numbers on it ~ that will tell you what size the motor is . . .

If you can't find those numbers somewhere on the frame !

Then you could check tire sizes ?

Red, *<:){)-

1 - 10 of 10 Posts