Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Im looking to buy a '99 cbr F4. I think its the best looking bike for the money.
I've had a dirtbike for a couple years, and I'm 20 now.

Ok so, my biker friend is telling me the operating costs (bike payments, insurance, gas, maintenence, repair bills) on an F4 will be too high for me. I have a part time job (30hrs/week) at Mr.Lube. So I'm not rich right now. How much would i be looking to spend per month on a higher mileage '99 cbr? lets say $300/monthly payment, + repairs etc =______.
I will also be parking my car during the summer, to focus my money on the bike.

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
With enough dedication, you can afford it.
Here is what you are looking at
$1 for every 10-15 miles traveled (gas)
$250-$400 tires every 5k miles (depends on wether you get them from a dealership or buy the online)
$30 or so for oil every 3k
Repair cost should be pretty low, depending on how you ride it. Engine shouldnt give you any problems, but you will need new sprockets ($150) and chain ($120) after about 12k miles

·
Registered
264 Posts
Don't forget about Gear. Tags and tax. 300 per month is pretty high for a payment. You would be looking more at 150-200.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
psudy said:
300 per month is pretty high for a payment. You would be looking more at 150-200.
Depends on how soon he wants to stop making payments.

Budget about $1k for good gear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh so you guys are talking normal stuff like oil, tires, chains. Ok thats totally affordable. I was thinking repairs. Are honda bikes as reliable as the cars?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Yes.
Well sorta. I would guess your bikes engine should be good for 100k miles. That may not be much to a car, but try logging that many miles on a bike

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
At 10k miles per year for 10 years = 100,000 miles. (My wife's a math teacher). 10k per year is prolly at the higher end of the spectrum. I average 5,000-7,000mi. per year. I buy 2 rear tires for every front and at this rate, Thats about 3 tires a year. I ride 3 different bikes and that spreads it out some, but it still costs about $1000/year for tires and changes.

There is no doubt that motorcycling ain't cheap! especially sport bikes. More performance= more $'S

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
You will find that mac020 is being pretty honest for a m/c is a "fun" thing & not a basic means of transportation. Sure I clock far, far more milage on my bikes then I do my truck even in the limited seven months of riding but that is because I like riding yet dislike driving. Obviously my m/cs are going to cost more to ride then my '91 Mazda truck that just clocked 70 thou last month.

Besides you probably know, from your yrs of riding dirt bikes, is that if you need something simple like a clutch or throttle cable, let alone something not carried in small boxes, like the nose piece & one side panel of the fairing plus signal light & mirror (some riders do have a rare accident once in a while---not to mention a slight fender-bender with a cage driver) they will have to order it in & you will be left waiting a week plus. Same with other goods & believe me cage tyres have an amazing long life compared to thos on most m/cs & especially sportbikes with the soft tyres. Tack on the fact that a shaft drive will last so much longer then sprockets & chains. So pretty obviouse I feel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow i didnt know tires are so consumable. But they are pretty cheap for bikes arent they? My car tires are about $300 each for the rears, and $270 each for fronts.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
You must be kidding about cost of decent tyres for sportbikes. I feel you are in the past yrs when your dirt bikes were inexpensive puttering around dirt bikes good for several years with cheap tyres & not real comp dirt irons where one would often wear out the rear in one race. Times have changed I fear for you are in to another jolt.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Bike tyres only last 3-5K miles, so next tire change comes up fast. Some guys get longer mileage from touring tyres, but I never tried it myself. Plus, if you're not used to changing your own tire, there's anywhere from $60-140 for labor at dealers. Cars get what, 30-50K mileage before replacements.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Smitty said:
You must be kidding about cost of decent tyres for sportbikes. I feel you are in the past yrs when your dirt bikes were inexpensive puttering around dirt bikes good for several years with cheap tyres & not real comp dirt irons where one would often wear out the rear in one race. Times have changed I fear for you are in to another jolt.
:huh:
I was comparing them to the cost of my car tires, between $270 and $300 each. A bike tire is what, $160-180 each? I would only log about 5k miles on a bike per season. And I am well aware the car tires will last 20k miles + and bike tires wont last half that.

So am i to understand that tires are the main expense maintenence-wise? (I would probly not get ultra-high performance low mileage tires anyways, considering my newbie status on a sport bike.)

·
Registered
427 Posts
bimmerdude said:
:huh:
I was comparing them to the cost of my car tires, between $270 and $300 each. A bike tire is what, $160-180 each?
Daym, dude! What kind of car do you drive that takes such expensive/low mileage tires? I guess I'm just used to 60K-80K All Season GoodYears at $80 per tire maximum for my cage (Camry). I think that is why most people find bike tires more expensive than cage rubbers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
veektor said:
Daym, dude! What kind of car do you drive that takes such expensive/low mileage tires? I guess I'm just used to 60K-80K All Season GoodYears at $80 per tire maximum for my cage (Camry). I think that is why most people find bike tires more expensive than cage rubbers.
Haha its not so much the car, its no ferrari. My wheels are alittle on the big side...18x8.5/18x9.5 with 225/40/18fr 255/35/18rr pzero neros. I try and get good tires for my car. One of the best performance modifications. Car is a '92 BMW 325is.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Since we are both living in B.C. Canada I can tell you that the tyres are much closer to your costly car tyres though with a much shortrer life. Sorry I did not pick up on the fact you were a fellow Cdn. Till I noted you quoting in metric & only then did I look over to the left to see you are from Vancouver. B.C.

Back in '04 a front for my '97 Yamaha YZF600r cost me $170.99 plus tax & that is not the cost of installing. Mind you in '05 a 180 rear for my Honda 929 cost me $224.95 plus tax & again not installing. Both were Bridgstone BT-014 & not the top of the Bridgestone line while in other makes the tyres are higher.

The front I mentioned would be what the Honda F4 would take & good hunch that same would be on the F4 since I dropped the Honda 929 bike from stock 190 rear to 180.

I ride three sportbikes within the one week so that mentally(?) helps on milage & wear rather then just with one bike STILL when it comes to tyres for all three then costs really do total up. Still I would say I am averaging around 3 or 4 tyres every yr for all three bikes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
thanks for the good info. Sounds like, if i want to be able to afford this bike, I will have to get some lower price, higher mileage tires. Luckily those go hand-in-hand :D
Hey smitty (since you are living in my area), im going to check out a '99 cbr 600 soon, and its priced at $4900 (CDN) with 26,000 kms (15,000 miles). Should I be weary of a lemon at that price? comparable bikes (99 r6, 99zx6) are going for $6000+.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
At this time of year often people want to sell a bike or get rid of it as they have an '06 in mind or possibly just decided to give up riding. It is low bike prices in the late Autumn to around Spring time. So you never can tell if it has not been previously damaged & unfortunately with the alloy frames the steering head is often damaged or bent & is so hard to see unless the bike is taken to a m/c shop of where they will check the bike over for a small price..

By the way the idea of low priced & high milage tyres is pretty well out unless you go for an almost touring tyre such as the Bridgestone BT-020 which I see a lot of the Yamaha FZ6 bikes are fitted with. The idea is for a new rider or new bike & breaking in the engine they are not pressed as hard as the bike you have in mind & already broken in. A few yrs back the Yamaha YZF-600r was fitted with Bridgestone BT-47 or something like that & not a good tyre. Though you could look for competitive makes of the BT-020 might be low price & higher milage tyres.

Still allow me to suggest that you enquire about a beginners course as I know they have one in Vancouver & some chaps with prior riding experience have taken it & most thankfull as they learned so much. To those in the States we suggest the MSF Course & they are all thankfull. Remember the bikes you are looking at are NOT for casual riding. They are replicas of the road racers so they tend to not be rider-friendly & with such peaky engines they will send a rider to his ear upon the slightest error in riding. Your days of a bit of dirt riding & your knowledge of what the m/c world is like now DOES say you have been away from street riding let along hot trotting sportbikes. I know you will claim your car driving experience is plenty enough. Unfortunately it is not & reason I sort of press on this matter for I do not want to see a fellow rider to be injured let alone a fellow Cdn.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Smitty said:
Still allow me to suggest that you enquire about a beginners course as I know they have one in Vancouver & some chaps with prior riding experience have taken it & most thankfull as they learned so much. To those in the States we suggest the MSF Course & they are all thankfull. Remember the bikes you are looking at are NOT for casual riding. They are replicas of the road racers so they tend to not be rider-friendly & with such peaky engines they will send a rider to his ear upon the slightest error in riding. Your days of a bit of dirt riding & your knowledge of what the m/c world is like now DOES say you have been away from street riding let along hot trotting sportbikes. I know you will claim your car driving experience is plenty enough. Unfortunately it is not & reason I sort of press on this matter for I do not want to see a fellow rider to be injured let alone a fellow Cdn.
I may or may not take the course in the spring. I am aware that my dirtbike exp and car exp do not make me a qualified sportbike rider. I plan to take it slow, and get plenty of practice off the main roads. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Unfortunately so many come up with the same answers & it does not work for the sportbikes are not for puttering along like cruisers or Harleys. They were designed to be up in the higher revs. Your gamble for itis your life. Also since you seemingly want to pinch pennies if you drop the bike at 55 or 6o KPH then the plastics & a few parts become half the cost of a new bike. The time in the hospital or healing at home can be so differnt.

Lastly are you going to purchase proper protective gear & wear it? Have you not noted that most sportbike riders fork out good money for proper crashelmet, jacket, trousers, gloves & boot. Not the slang for a car/truck is a "cage" becaue the driver is well protected while m/cist is not only exposed to the temperatures & eliments, but also a m/c & rider crash while a cage is balanced & well protected.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts