Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
IANAL

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-1627_8665_9066-23757--,00.html

Right off the bat, you get 6 points for reckless driving. That will be expensive.

Also, Michigan has a little extra expense that they like to toss in. It is an extra penalty that was originally designed as a penalty for drunk drivers, wherein an extra $1000 a year for 3 years was tacked on to the drunk driving offense.

While you did not get ticketed with a Drunk Driving offense, this extra fee has been prorated on a sliding scale. So, whatever you get as a result of this ticket, you could possibly also have an extra $400 to $600 a year tacked on to your bill.

First thing on Wed, call the cop shop who gave you the ticket and ask them what it will cost.
Then, if necessary, seek out a good attorney and get it lowered to something not quite so expensive.

Do not forget, in most cases, your insurance will also rise as a result of this infraction.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Edit:
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/wedmk_16312_7.pdf
page 42. You will be assest an additional $500 a year for reckless driving for a period of 3 years.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
heh....nick yeah i was cruising along at about 130 going down 75 at university and he was sitting there with his laser and got me...i slammed on my brakes and he only clocked me at 93 but gave me 90. yeah i dont know what it is, that was on old bike too, we have only rode like once or twice.

·
Premium Member
4,824 Posts
Get an attorney to get it down to impeding traffic. If you try it yourself you might muck it up and get the points and fine. Just pay the $200 for an atty and the fine, and your insurance will never know.:2cents:

·
Registered
354 Posts
at 130 I would have just kept going... he would never have caught you if u would have kept that pace for a few mins. yes yes i know radios danger and all that

·
Registered
845 Posts
you'll pay more than $200 for an att, but it is well worth it. after you figure in the ticket and court costs, plus insurance points and cost, plus the SOS fine. you'll end up paying at least the same for an att if not more plus get stuck with point on lic and insr.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
SoS is the Secretary of State. I think he is referring to the additional $500 a year for 3 years penalty that was mentioned before.

You might try www.michiganbikers.com
They are motorcycle attorneys 1-800-MI-BIKER

You could also go to the WOS site and ask there. Once or 2 of them have been successful in getting tickets worked on.
www.wideopensportbikes.com

At any of these places (check the net, it is full of attorneys) you can ask them what they can do for you and how much it will cost. If they screw around, hang up and try another one.

Some lawyers can seem to work miracles. There are lawyers out there whose sole practice is taking care of traffic offenses.

While alot of this might sound rather daunting, do not dispair. With the right lawyer, it will not be as bad as you might think.

Again, good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts