• One hand when it's safe to do so

Votes: 54 85.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you're out riding, do you keep both hands on the grips at all times or do you take the left off and rest it on your knee/thigh whenever possible?

When I first started riding, I always kept both hands on at all times. But as I've become more confident in my riding skills, I find that I take the left hand off more and more. I have a riding buddy that sometimes rests his left forearm on the tank, but I think that's a bit extreme.

So, what do you do?

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
i use 2 hands 99% of the time. you are on two wheels. any giration in the road that you cannot see poses a hazard. IMO there is really no time when its "safe to do so". things happen too fast. you need to be ready ALL THE TIME.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Both hands & have been doing this for around 58 yrs of riding. Like monkey said you are on two wheels & never know what is going to try & send the front wheel into a dizzy & you on your ear next.

Have seen some jack-asses riding with only one hand & I do have to wonder at the lack of brain matter.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I'll ride 1 hand quite a lot. It's a nice rest for the hand, as well as the back. I also have no problem with standing up on the pegs to stretch my legs out.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I will tell the truth though. Suddenly I had to scoot from Edmonton down to Calgary Alberta Cdn, back in '49, to see about some "used" m/cs we might pick up at a good price, only my Vincent was in the stages of having a change of forks & really nothing was ready bar an old 350 Royal Enfield, when main owner told me to take his 500 Royal Enfield.

So down there made the deal, made sure the correct bikes were on a truck, time to grab something to eat & head home. Only back was killing me & realized it was the ruddy Flanders bars on the bike & all my weight was on my butt.

In those days one could set the throttle & keep it there with a snugging of a knurled hand adjustment on the drum of the twist grip.

I was doing all sorts of things in riding with one hand to lord knows what ONLY the back was worse. Then I tried it by riding side saddle & leaned forward with elbows/arms on my legs. Try it just lean forward in your chair, put your hands/arms there & the pressure is taken off your back. Now as for the two feet simply cross them with one on the footrest (footpeg to you chaps).

Yes I could take the bike into & out of all bends in this position & clocking probably around 80-85KPH--50-55mph. I know it is stupid, but I was only 19 yrs of age ---- young, crazy, & a good competitor in dirt comp.

It is dark & the yellow glow from the famous Lucas system was normal. Obviously I must have fallen to sleep for there was this terrible blast form a set of air horns that woke me up, I quickly got around to normal riding position as the Greyyound Bus went by.

I was a bit shaken for I still had half of a sandwich in my hand with a bite taken out of it, only it was going dry due to the wind.

Off the bike to calm myself down, tried to ride again & got the shakes so off into the ditch to really relax. Then back to riding home only from then on I rode in the sensible manner.

When I think about it I must have covered around 50+ miles partially asleep in said position.

So in honesty I have not ridden with both hands on the bars all my 57+ yrs & YES often I was a prize twit.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Smitty said:
I will tell the truth though. Suddenly I had to scoot from Edmonton down to Calgary Alberta Cdn, back in '49,
Hey smitty, you ever think of citing an occurence that happend in at least the 90's:twofinger

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I'll tuck my left hand under the wind screen When I'm going really fast, it seems more aerodynamic.
Sometimes I'll ride with no hands but only when it feels right.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
If asked, I'd have to say ALWAYS two hands. In reality, we all take a break sometimes. What to NEVER do, is ride one handed in traffic, near intersections, passing parked cars, or following any vehicle even at a fairly safe following distance. The reaction time isn't nearly as fast as you might think. Anywhere something could surprise you, it eventually will if you do it long enough.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Well Tippmann since the 90s I have ONLY been on the roads, & being 60yrs of age by the '90s that would take the childish things out of me. I can go back in time to '45 & tell a lot.

Look at yourself 50 yrs from now & how would you be as a rider & comment on what? LOL

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dad said:
...What to NEVER do, is ride one handed in traffic...
Hence "when safe to do so". :D Seriously, though, I ride with two hands probably 95% of the time, but on a long straight stretch with little or no traffic, I'll relax my left hand on my thigh for a few minutes. (Really I just like rubbing my leather pants. :twofinger ) Sometimes, especially on a long ride, I'll take my right hand off for a few seconds and flex my fingers a few times. Of course, I make sure there is no traffice behind me.

Enjoying the feed back.

Later.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
hapmstr said:
Hence "when safe to do so". :D ......... Sometimes, especially on a long ride, I'll take my right hand off for a few seconds and flex my fingers a few times. Of course, I make sure there is no traffice behind me.

Enjoying the feed back.

Later.
I have had a throttle lock on all of my bikes for decades now. I obviously don't use it for anything other than chokeless warm-ups as that is its sole purpose.;) I would never ride down the interstate with both hands off the handlebars, stretched above my head with my fingers closed and cupped to catch the wind, swinging them up and down like I was signalling a parking 747, affording some resistance that helps to stretch the muscles and relieve fatigue, because that would be unsafe. Nor would I, in the absence of the throttle lock, do as you described which is to remove the right hand from the throttle while making sure nothing is behind me so my rapid decelleration caused by engine braking creates a dangerous situation.
(I would pull the clutch in with my left hand so I didn't slow as rapidly, giving me more time to stretch... but this is too small to read so I can't be accused of condoning it.) ;)

Really though, one handed in traffic is a no-no. I see guys do it fairly often but the reaction time will be too great to avoid hitting something one day. If you do it long enough, it WILL happen. Save it ONLY for the wide open spaces.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Dad said:
(I would pull the clutch in with my left hand so I didn't slow as rapidly, giving me more time to stretch... but this is too small to read so I can't be accused of condoning it.) ;)
I've done this too.....(thought I'd help you out with your size issues :) )

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
spicersh said:
I've done this too.....(thought I'd help you out with your size issues :) )
In the words of the late, great, Walt Disney. "It's a Small World After All".

I'm doing just fine in that world, thank-you very much. :p :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well I see that this poll has been viewed nearly 300 times, but only 24 people have voted...Wonder why?...I vote in just about every poll I run across around here. Maybe I just have nothing better to do? Or maybe I should just keep adding lame comments to keep it at the top of the list. :twofinger It's my first poll and maybe the topic is lame...but I was hoping for more results...oh well...

·
Registered
418 Posts
I used to ride with one hand until this one time a log appeared out from under the car in front of me. With one hand only i was way slow to react and ended up hitting it. Almost knocked me off the bike but ended up just scaring the daylights out of me.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I ride with one hand a lot when I am just cruising. I set my GPR steering damper all the way to setting #6 (the stiffest setting) when I do ride with one hand to prevent any lost of control. And the damper works pretty good for that reason, I have hit a hole in the freeway at 75 mph before. The damper kept the steering straight.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ride some of the country empty roads one handed, ocassionally in traffic if I'm staying way back.

There are a few spots I'll go without hands, but then my EX500 is light enough to turn with my theighs, the problem being that the bike slows down very fast when I do that.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
If any of you are familiar with the Vespa, NSU Prima, Lambretta & other scooters back in the early 50s the darn things had the steering wheel snap to the left or right immediately one released it.

I was living in Banff National Park of Alberta Cdn in '53 & pointed out the flaw of said scooters compared to a proper m/c. Still the owners could not believe there was that much of a difference.

So put on a demonstration. One of the local higher points was upper Hot Spring with lovely twisting bends in the road to the flatter spot of Banff itself & in fact the T was with the localy Banff hospital.

I started off in gear on a 200cc Francis-Barnet, immediately went back into neutral, with engine killed & after those few feet I came all the way down standing on the footrests, myself fully upright with hands behind the back till the very last few seconds when I had to to apply the brakes & stop the bike.

To control my pace my left foot would tap the rear brake pedal & so things could not get out of control.

From that day on no one bought a scooter & that is when they started to buy REAL motorcycles.

Mind you when I saw the first Jpn scooter, being a Yamaha of 80cc, I rode it to feel how it was in handeling & they had corrected the mistake of the European ones for I could let go of the handlebars & even make it over railway lines on the paved road before the engine died out ----- which tells you a bit about the Jpn products VS European of some 20 or 25 yrs.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts