Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I haven't posted for quite a while, and now that I am I feel compelled to tell you all about my summer. Why do I want to tell you about my summer you ask, well, maybe to caution you all, or maybe to just get this off my chest. I had a few drinks tonight so if spelling/grammar is more off than normal blame that.

OK, this is my 5'th year on sportbikes, in the past 4 years I have never known anyone that was even hurt in a motorcycle wreck ( hell I think I only "kinda" knew one guy that wrecked, but he was fine). This summer rolls around and everything changes. First thing this summer I was handing in my final programming assignment at school and my friend (we'll call him Lenn) gets a little over excited in the college parking lot and lowsides ( I think he was trying to scrape peg in a damn parking lot). OK no big deal, got a hole in his knee (6 stitches) and his new that summer superhawk gets a few dings.
Few days later my other friend (Justin) also wrecks his bike in a parking lot (bike fine rider fine. Not more than 3 days after that Len pulls a wheelie in front of a group of Harley riders, he was doing fine till he waved. Damage was more severe than the last wreck, couple days in hospital, and over 4k in damage to Superhawk. Lenn sells the bike to his dad and buy a 929 days after getting out of the hospital. Just a few short weeks later my brother (the dude that got me into bikes) has a nice little lowside, Rider fine, bike needs some good plastic repair.

Couple more weeks later Len riding someone else’s bike is goofing off again and dumps the bike and rams a tree. Just about all ribs on 1 side broken, punctured lung lacerated liver, is his 2ed life flight in 3 months (maybe less). Almost lost len that time.
4 days later a dude I went to high school with has a guy cut him off and rams a light pole, no helmet, he died the second he hit.
Another couple days later my friend DJ comes to the door at 11 PM to show me the damage of a wreck he had that night, lowside little damage to bike, none to rider, he leves to meet his girlfriend at work. The following morning I get a call from DJ's mom asking me if I knew he was in a wreck. I say "yes Ms.***, he came over last night and showed me". "No" she says, at 11:15 he hit a car that ran a red light (t-boned). The driver runs away. They catch her, she was drinking, and had no insurance.
He was ok (ok being alive) but get this, you could put a bigger dent in the car by kicking it, he didn't hit hard. He broke a femur, knee, and elbow. He says the only thing he remembers was a bang, and getting rolled on the ground a bunch with the sound of screeching tires. He hit her, fell over, MAYBE broke his elbow in the fall, but when she pulled away (to run) she ran him over. Tread marks on his leg and everything.
Few weeks after DJ’s crash I’m riding my old VF500F,( the fizzer was sidelined for legal reasons, still is as a matter of fact) and I hit the front break on a drive way, hit oil and crash. I was going like 5 mph so I still call it a drop. Hey, if you’re going to drop a bike, make it someone else.

OK, there you have it, my summer. Why I wrote all that I have no idea. I guess I wanted to share my experiences with people who can’t give me that look of "god, sleep it off".
Be carefull out there people.

Rock on
Ride on

Fizzman

PS. does it make me a freak or "hardcore" that I still think of nothing other than bikes after a summer like that?

PPS. 694 words, damn I've had english papers with less words.

------------------
Mu toys,

84VF500F (RIP)
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RX
Yamaha acoustic
JB player acoustic

·
Registered
873 Posts
Hey Fizzman,

Great post,

I think the beers actually helps your writing skills ;)

Thats too bad you had to experience all that stuff in one summer. And i think "Lenn" ought to not have anymore bikes.

Glad to hear that all your current friends are still with you.. Unfortunate of course about your HS aquaintance.

Heres to a better 2001!!

------------------
Fear Oil.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hey FizzMan...

Sorry about your fall there hun... Glad to see you weren't hurt a great deal...

It is a shame with everyone going down this summer... Seems to be happening everywhere..

Here's my list -o- friends... Kinda morbid but makes ya think....

1) Glenn - racer died July 1st weekend
2) Frank - Glenn's best friend and team mate, died 3 weeks ago, same track...
3) Rob - R6, crashed, no pain (bike written off, race school so accepted)
4) Lyndon - VTR1000, crashed, no pain, race school
5) Mike - GSXR 600, hit by a car 3 weeks ago (slight injuries, bike written off)
6) Jason - hit by a car, 3 weeks ago (5 grand damage)
7) Allan - YZF 1000, hit by a truck while waiting for a woman to cross a cross walk - frame bent, bike written off, sore back
8) Glenn - CBR 600, had fellow motorcyclist run in to him, no pain, scraps on left side
9) Andrew - tank slapper in crappy road, bailed, ground down knee to expose bone, lots of pain, bike fine thanks to frame sliders

Last night no one hit the ground... It's been a strange month with so many of my friends having problems....

Kirsty...

------------------
"No, this isn't my boyfriend's bike..."
My web site www.geocities.com/hondahuney

·
Registered
346 Posts
man~! everybody has been down this summer.. ive only owned my bike and ridden this summer since late april.. and i been down.. and almost everybody i know has been down..
=( shame.. well anyhow.. i hope your all doin okay from the damage..

jos F

------------------
Some day, i'll ride like all the famed riders of today.. for i will be the rider of tommorrow.. :D:D, cuz as of today.. i have only three months of riding everyday experience under my n*tS.. :D:D

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
This has truely beed a shadeeeey season.
I'm not going to list all the wrecks,
deaths, etc that have touched my life this
year but one is too many. There is a fine
line between combating boredum and being out
of control - not to mention those situations
that are OUT of our control.

Sorry to hear about Fizz!! No, you ain't crazy
you're just a typical SBW member. ;)

Take care all!
Chris

------------------
I really should be working...

[This message has been edited by chris_y2k_r1 (edited October 16, 2000).]

·
Registered
20 Posts
I usually don't like to say things like this, but IMHO "Lenn" is a danger to himself and to anyone near him. He's one of the reasons that we have the bad rep that we do in some circles. Sorry - I mean no disrespect towards you and your friends (other than Lenn), but hopefully he'll wise up before he kills himself or someone else.

------------------

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Woohoo748:
"Lenn" is a danger to himself and to anyone near him. He's one of the reasons that we have the bad rep. that we do in some circles.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. I rode with a guy like that ONE TIME. Afterwards, I was very picky about who I rode with. Call me anal-retentive or whatever, but I like to ride with people who will race through the twisties, but also use some sense while doing so. Sure wheelies are fun, but everything needs to be done with some sense, lest we become the squids we so desperately dread.

------------------
~Nick
Hey squid, wanna race? No, not down that straight road...we're gonna hit the twisties. Hey, where ya' goin'?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here's more proof that Darwin was right.... I race MX, and a guy that used to ride with us was getting pretty capable, albeit a little too out of control (didn't know his own limitations). The track had just been prepped, so there were some slick spots. We were among the first ones out on the track, and there was a double that had a real slick spot right before it. Well, I hit the slick spot and almost highsided when I landed off the double, so I told everyone I was riding with about the hazard and to take it easy. Well, no sooner did I get done warning everyone did this guy do the exact same thing I did. We all laughed it off a bit, but agreed that it'd be best to roll the double until it dried up a bit. Well, about 10 minutes later, everyone starts running onto the track because "Darwin" decided he could handle it and guess what? He highsided and broke his back. He'll never be able to ride MX again (he was lucky he didn't get paralyzed). The only thing you can do with some people is to warn the heck out of them, and if they don't heed your warnings, STAY AWAY FROM THEM. It's only a matter of time until they hurt themselves severely or hurt you (OR BOTH). This is a dangerous sport and we don't need people who make it more dangerous because they don't have any regard for their safety or that of others.

------------------

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sorry to hear everyone's having so many get-offs lately. I actually had a pretty safe summer. One of my occasional riding partners had a spill last year (pictured below) but none that I know of this year. Keep it clean, stay within your limits, have fun...and always wear the best protection available! My riding buddy actually slid off the ledge(!) in this low-side and could have been hurt bad if it weren't for the full leathers with armor. He walked away without a scratch. The frame sliders saved his bike from serious damage too. :)

------------------
"You must be fast 'cuz I was haulin' ass when I passed you"

1999 Blue/White YZF-R1: 2 Bros. C4 exhaust, Dynojet jet kit, timing tricker, dyno-tuned by Graves
2000 NBM/Lt Oak int/Blk top C5 Convertible - MN6, Z51, Vortex Rammer, A&A Exhaust, C/R X-pipe, Corsa tips, !CAGS

·
Registered
873 Posts
Ya gotta love the PINK FANNY PACK!

LOL!!

Was that RCJohn??

------------------
Fear Oil.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I know, I made fun of him for wearing that thing! The guy's name is Paolo and he is one hell of a FAST racer. I haven't seen him in a while but I know he had professional sponsorship this year. Probably too busy to hang with us squids. ;) Here's an action photo of him on a friend's Muzzy Raptor. This, incidentally, is the same time and place the crash took place. Don't let posing for the camera get the best of your ego! Chris? You listening??? :D

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Mashuri - what did you say??? Did you call
me a poser?? :D

I hear you bro, Believe you me I have
thought well and hard about what it's going
to be like with the camera on but to tell you
the truth, if something isn't happening I
won't force it, that's whats beautiful about
video - it can be editted. (Just like these
messages - Let's hope I get the video right
the first time ;)) Anyway, I practice
all my squidly stuff everytime I ride and I
figure this will be different only if I let it
be different in my mind.

------------------

[This message has been edited by chris_y2k_r1 (edited October 18, 2000).]

·
Registered
873 Posts
Chris,

Ya know, ive got 16mm FILM equipment if you ever wanna be on actual FILM... too bad PA is a bit far... maybe we could meet up in Texas sometime in the future..

I cast a vote for a texas get together for SBW... Complete with motion picture film to capture the squids.. err.. um.. i mean posers.. i mean wheelie guys like chris.

:D

------------------
Fear Oil.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I definitely think that SBW should have some
sort of "Sportbike Week" in the Spring for
all members who don't mind hauling to an
agreed upon location. It would be very
cool to put faces to the messages. I'm sure
we'd all have endless amounts of fun.

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
By the way Mashuri - ROFLMAO!! I'll make sure
I wear my small helmet to keep my ego under
wraps.

------------------

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I talked to "lenn" today. He asked me if I wanted to buy his old leathers cuz he's selling the 929. He told me that he's done riding for quite a while, he wants to grow up a bit. Well better late than never I guess.
As an added plus, I'm getting a full set of leathers (with gloves and helmet) for 350.
Rock on
Ride on

Fizzman

------------------
Mu toys,

84VF500F (RIP)
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RX
Yamaha acoustic
JB player acoustic

·
Registered
186 Posts
I feel lucky....I went down in the spring time and not the summer.

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts