Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I have had a rather hard time dealing with Yamaha-Canada support concerning an issue with my 2005 Yamaha R1 that has been on going for close to three years. I have been patient with Yamaha-Canada too long and have done everything I can to solve this issue without going completely public.

If any comments or questions, please feel free to post on the site or here in the forum.

Thank you everyone !!

Please visit my website for more info:

www.YamahaR1.ca

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Just as a casual observer, I think you should be a little more tactful in your approach to this. Right now it looks like you're trying to call attention to the problem in an effort to "bully" Yamaha into giving in. Probably not the best approach. Also, calling out the CSR by name doesn't seem necessary. He may (or may not) have his hands tied more than you think.

Have you written a formal letter to Yamaha-Canada requesting that they fix the problem, or at least give you some indication that they are looking into it? Sometimes messages do not get relayed and voice mails get erased. Send a certified letter directly to whoever you're trying to get in touch with. Hell, throw in a stamped self-addressed envelope so they don't have any reason not to respond. Be courteous but firm in your request.

It definitely sucks that you've had this problem, and I agree that Yamaha should be doing something about this for you. I'm guessing Canada doesn't have a "lemon law?"

Anyways, that's just my :2cents:

Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just as a casual observer, I think you should be a little more tactful in your approach to this. Right now it looks like you're trying to call attention to the problem in an effort to "bully" Yamaha into giving in. Probably not the best approach. Also, calling out the CSR by name doesn't seem necessary. He may (or may not) have his hands tied more than you think.

Have you written a formal letter to Yamaha-Canada requesting that they fix the problem, or at least give you some indication that they are looking into it? Sometimes messages do not get relayed and voice mails get erased. Send a certified letter directly to whoever you're trying to get in touch with. Hell, throw in a stamped self-addressed envelope so they don't have any reason not to respond. Be courteous but firm in your request.

It definitely sucks that you've had this problem, and I agree that Yamaha should be doing something about this for you. I'm guessing Canada doesn't have a "lemon law?"

Anyways, that's just my :2cents:

Good luck.
Well.... this is why it has gone on as long as it has. I have tried to talk to them so many times to have this resolved. I have been very patient with this issue and has gotten me know-where. It this site is not what I should be doing as well as posting to the BBB etc. ..... what would be the best course of action.

As for the Rep's name.... I have since removed it from the site as I missed it. I had his name throughout the site.... as from the Yamaha-Canada rep himself in an email, he said that I was allowed to hand out his name and info , but I have chosen to not post his name as like you said, does not look good. If asked for it, I will gladly give them his contact info.

I have written a formal letter to Yamaha-Canada, and it was passed off to the same person. As for the lemon law, ya, none here in Canada.... sucks that we don't.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Trust me, I don't blame you at all for being frustrated. I know I would be if I was in your shoes. You paid a lot of money for something and that something should work properly. I wish I had a solution for you. I seem to remember not too long ago someone who was on a cross-country trip and was keeping a blog on it. I'm thinking it was a Yamaha as well, but I might be wrong. Anyways, he encountered problems and he got a hold of someone in the upper levels and they took care of it. I'll look for that thread when I get a chance. Might have something useful for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trust me, I don't blame you at all for being frustrated. I know I would be if I was in your shoes. You paid a lot of money for something and that something should work properly. I wish I had a solution for you. I seem to remember not too long ago someone who was on a cross-country trip and was keeping a blog on it. I'm thinking it was a Yamaha as well, but I might be wrong. Anyways, he encountered problems and he got a hold of someone in the upper levels and they took care of it. I'll look for that thread when I get a chance. Might have something useful for you.
THANKS "snakesht", appreciate it

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Found it. here is a link to the thread, and from there is a link to his blog. It was a 2005 R1. I don't recall exactly what the issue was, but IIRC, they took care of it for him. Check it out and let me know if it gets you anywhere.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
That sucks. I hope you find the issue. Definitely electrical. 3 years is too long to wait. They should have traded you for a new one the first few days you had the bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found it. here is a link to the thread, and from there is a link to his blog. It was a 2005 R1. I don't recall exactly what the issue was, but IIRC, they took care of it for him. Check it out and let me know if it gets you anywhere.
Thanks, checking it out now.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
That sucks. I hope you find the issue. Definitely electrical. 3 years is too long to wait. They should have traded you for a new one the first few days you had the bike.
From a manufacturer standpoint, they would go bankrupt in a month if they traded every time there was a "seemingly" minor issue. But after the second time swapping out everything, you'd think they'd get the hint.

Have you thought of just selling the bike and buying another?
"Hey, isn't this the bike from that website?" Awesome strategy Duess :loser: :twofinger

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
maybe you should bring it to the states. We may have better mechanics here. :moon:

Have you thought of just selling the bike and buying another?

I have thought about it... issue is that I can not sell the bike for what it's worth. It has a known issue that the cause can not be found. I can not sell the bike without telling the person or dealer which I would think would take the value down. But.... may come to that point.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
carterx, this may sound obvious, but have you gotten a schematic for the bike's electrical system and found all components that are involved and seen what hasn't been checked/replaced? I'm sure the techs have put a lot of thought into it, but I can't help but think there's something that's been overlooked. I know there are some vehicles that are doomed from the start, but given the relative simplicity of bikes compared to modern cars I think that it is much less likely to have a "lemon" bike.

Maybe it's the CSIS mind probes in your head interfering with the bike :dunno:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
carterx, this may sound obvious, but have you gotten a schematic for the bike's electrical system and found all components that are involved and seen what hasn't been checked/replaced? I'm sure the techs have put a lot of thought into it, but I can't help but think there's something that's been overlooked. I know there are some vehicles that are doomed from the start, but given the relative simplicity of bikes compared to modern cars I think that it is much less likely to have a "lemon" bike.

Maybe it's the CSIS mind probes in your head interfering with the bike :dunno:
I have looked it over myself from what I can see, other than the odd wires off the harness, can't see anything else, but I'm sure a Tech would see more.

Also, to go with your comment about probes interfering, it was also suggested that I may just be one of those persons that have an electrical personality, and may have a current running through me that could mess up electronics...... I did think about this, then I remembered, wait, I'm a computer Technician, I work with computer board, memory, etc. without an issue :)

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Well, you can rule yourself out due to the fact that it's happened at the dealership without you around. I don't remember seeing this, but have you installed a Power Commander or anything else that ties into the ECU, or anything that emits a signal?

And as far as "looking the bike over," the reason I suggested a schematic/diagram is so you can check for the sensors that aren't easy to see. Anything that has the ability to send/interfere with the signals to the ECU should be replaced IMO.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, you can rule yourself out due to the fact that it's happened at the dealership without you around. I don't remember seeing this, but have you installed a Power Commander or anything else that ties into the ECU, or anything that emits a signal?

And as far as "looking the bike over," the reason I suggested a schematic/diagram is so you can check for the sensors that aren't easy to see. Anything that has the ability to send/interfere with the signals to the ECU should be replaced IMO.
Have not added anything else to the bike such as ECU or other devices. Will have a look again once home and see what else could be there in the diagram.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
I'm hoping Vash, mkeeny or one of the others who have a lot more knowledge than I do will stop in and help brainstorm some ideas. In the meantime, were you able to find anything useful from that blog?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm hoping Vash, mkeeny or one of the others who have a lot more knowledge than I do will stop in and help brainstorm some ideas. In the meantime, were you able to find anything useful from that blog?
I skimmed it over and did not see anything concerning an issue like mine, but once home, I will sit down and read it through.

I know I'm checking all the forums, but I'm still running around here at work, so will sit and read that when I wont be distracted and have to do other things :)

And "snakesht" thanks for all the feedback, every bit helps. Your comments are help is GREATLY appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
I skimmed it over and did not see anything concerning an issue like mine, but once home, I will sit down and read it through.
I just skimmed through it real quick. Apparently his problem happened after laying the bike down in the sand at Daytona Beach. After he washed the sand off the bike, it wouldn't start. The service place he took it to said it was an alarm issue, and he got a hold of Yamaha North America and they had the dealer refund his money. Here is a direct link to the page.

And "snakesht" thanks for all the feedback, every bit helps. Your comments are help is GREATLY appreciated.
No problem man, I'm just thinking how I'd feel in your shoes. Let's hope you get some results soon.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Gotta admit looks like they tried everything. The only other things they can do is replace everything again all at the same time, replace the bike, or fly some japanese techs in to fix the bike. If they do get some techs to fix your bike they'll fix it and tell you what was wrong and even tell you if your oil is too sticky.

·
Registered
659 Posts
If it were me not having the benefit of a lemon law, I would call a lawyer. Sometimes just a letter will make people see the light.

In parallel with that though, I like the schematic idea. In the cases I've seen with industrial equipment, a phantom problem like this is usually something nobody considered and it gets discovered through taking enough time to investigate everything, even things that couldn't possibly cause it. It could be something as simple as a ground wire not being grounded properly, and since everything has been replaced, it will likely be a connector, wire, or sensor that shouldn't have any effect.

If you take this approach, you should keep track of everything you do and only try one thing at a time. You want to know that the problem is fixed, not just that it hasn't happened again. It's going to be difficult and time-consuming to find an intermittent problem that also clears itself. You should keep track of your time and bill Yamaha back for the hours you spend if you find the problem. This may also require the assistance of a lawyer.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts