Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
the last few bikes I've tried to buy were either bought or not what I wanted. but looking through the cycletrader I've seen there are a couple of old gs's in my area for cheap. one is a 79 850, the other is a 83 1100, but needs tlc. are these nice bikes, did they come with 5 or 6 speed trannys, I've been looking for info, but all I find is model info and pictures. I'm thinking maybe a cafe racer, or street fighter instead of a full sportbike will be best for me right now. any info or comments on these bikes will be helpful, aslo what other models are kinda like these, naked street bikes or cafe racers, did other companies make? thanks

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:( no my friend, no bike for now, I've had bikes in the past, but none for now. trust me I got a digital camera waiting as soon as I get it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If I were to pick a used bike, it would be the V-Max. It hasn't changed much since '85 and is still one of the meanest bikes out there. If you want low maintenance, you might want to consider a used Nighthawk. I know it's not the fastest thing out there, but it's good and reliable. I was thinking of getting one, but fell in love with the SV. Good luck and happy riding.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the only reason I'm going for these gs's is they are the only ones in the area for cheap. unfortunately most bikes for sale are in northern florida. oh well. on the plus side the suzuki gs has the most reliable motor ever built, according to the sites I've looked at.

·
Registered
627 Posts
SilentNEKO said:
on the plus side the suzuki gs has the most reliable motor ever built, according to the sites I've looked at.
I've heard the same thing & that may be a good factor to consider in your purchase.

Good luck, Steve

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks, hopefully one of these guys will pick up there phone so I can buy a bike already. what ever I get I'll be buying a matching helmet and mesh jacket right after. but it would be cool to get a bike I don't care about so I could customize it all I want. add body panels take some away, new bars, funky paint......

·
Registered
46 Posts
A couple things to note, if you want a street fighter or cafe racer, most 850, at least all of the ones I've seen are 850Gs which means shaft drive. What is the 1100?

If you are looking at a GS for a street fighter you probably are going to want to get a model with an E in it (E means it is the sportier model.)

Also, they eat stators. The stator is oil cooled, and if the oil level sinks a bit they will fry.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well thanks for the info guys, but all the bikes I was looking at were shaft drives. bikes are hard to come by in south florida and I now know why. when I was talking to a dealer they told me that 2/3's of the bikes they get in get exported to other states or countries. most don't stay in florida.:( well this sucks because if they did I'd have one by now

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would agree with you, if I had a truck, but a bike isn't going to fit in the back of my trans am, plus I would be by myself, and with no ramps :(

·
Registered
391 Posts
I too have heard that the old GS bikes were good ones. In fact, many drag bikes start with GS 1100 motors. I believe I've seen the bikes you are referring to in the Trader. For a few bucks and some TLC, either one would probably work. At least until you can swing the type of bike you truly want.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
those are the ones, the problem is how do I get them here, I think I'm going to stick local. I don't have a truck to use for the haul. check out my other posts about the single cylinder engines, and the one in the honda forum, thats my next choice.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks man, thats amazingly generous of you, if all else fails I'll pm you, a few new bikes just came on the market today, so let me check them out first, what sucks is I really need it by monday, me and the wife are down to one car as of today. but ?I'm looking up, things can only get better, I am getting a bike after all:D ;) :eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used to have an '83 GS750ES. Great bike. Bulletproof engine as previously stated. Bring a multimeter with you when looking at possible buys (to check voltage). I went through one voltage regulator in 15000 miles. Installed a voltage monitor after replacing the VR. That way I would no when it was going in order to save the stator. Check out www.gsresources.com for everything GS.

·
Registered
20 Posts
psycho

Hey Silent NEKO.. check out the EBAY listings in FLA, lower Miss., Lower Ala., etc... find a likely prospect, get hold of the seller, and drive there with a bud. If the bike checks out, ride it home!.. if not, find the local "Hooters," grab dinner and a beer, and move on to the next one! I made the trip to Competition Accessories' showroom twice in pursuit of bikes-- 500+ mi roundtrip-- traded my Beemer for a VFR750 on one trip, decided on the next not to buy... picked up a couple things while I was there, though :) (Didn't wanna come back empty handed, ya know)
If you can find a seller who's close enough to you that you can comfortable ride home, get a phone number and call him-- much easier to discuss the bike and ask any questions when you can actually TALK to a seller! Plus, you can get a pretty good idea of what kinda Joe he is. If the phone conversation goes well--ie: you feel the guy is credible, the bike's description fits your needs, etc.. drive over with a friend and look at it! 9 times out of 10, if you've covered all the bases in the phone conversation, there will be no surprises when you go to look. If the bike is as agreed upon, write your check, and ride it home! Good Hunting, Bro!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the major problem I'm having right now is my work schedule, see I'm now running on 7 days a week between my normal job and side jobs. I get out at 3:30, takes an hour to get home, so by the time I get anywhere decently far its dark, and I don't want to look at a bike at night, for obvious reasons. also I haven't riden a bike in........4 years. so a long journey doesn't sound the safest for me especially since I have no gear as of yet. I'm waiting to buy the bike to see what colors I will need to buy. I'm not sure what I will do, I really need to find a bike by monday, I've got 3 to look at now in my area. I looked at a ninja 600r yesterday for $1400, the guy was in prison for the last 5 years so it only had 6k on it, its now owned by a repair shop because of a lean, but when I pulled up I noticed it was a collision shop. so I thought, why would a bike be taken to a collision shop with such low miles and have a lean of over a grand put on it. I figured it was wrecked, and the shop looked like they did crappy work so I was out of there real quick. just sharing my stories, see I am not stupid, I've worked and repaired cards for a while now so I know what to look for, at least on a car. I don't want to buy junk so I'm goin to keep looking. the next one I'm looking at is a 78 kz650. CAFE RACER BABY!! happy riding:D

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey guys I just found this one, I've never seen a cb that looked like this, all the ones I've seen looked like cruisers, this looks like a naked bike, what do you think, it says make offer:D , FIVE DOLLARS!!! SOLD!! I wish. I'll offer $900 cash, if it runs as good as it states. should I choose this over the 78 kz650?

http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/4/8/27276148.htm

1 - 20 of 29 Posts