Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey cookie, I'm not hijacking your thread!

There is something about old school war movies that I always liked. Simple characters, with emphasis on glory and valor and evil nazis. Ever since the vietnam era they started going in a different direction, which while often time good, doesnt have the same feel to it. (Ironically, I think pearl harbor was going for the same feel. But it still sucked) Anyways, post your favorites, if you got any. I'll start.

Gallipoli
Bridge over the river kwai (sp?)
The Memphis bell
The longest day

·
Registered
746 Posts
That's because no one knew what war was like except the returning soldiers. When 'Nam came around the media went, recorded it, and showed it to average joe sitting on the couch. Now everyone thinks they know what it's like to be in combat. Thus the change in the movies. :rolleyes:

-M-

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its not a pro/anti war argument or the effect of mass entertainment on the publics opinion of wars, yet. I just like movies

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
+2 on Great escape

It's not exactly an old war movie, nor a movie persay, but "Band of Brothers". I've probly seen the entire mini-series 6 times atleast.

Sepias

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, lets take away the "Old movies" and replace with "Old feeling movies"
In which case I have to add saving private ryan.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Other great Autralian war movies are The Lighthorsemen (1987), set during WWI, and Breaker Morant (1980), which is set during the Boer War.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
DAMN.. how did I leave out Star Wars and Lord of the Rings- which we know is factual and perhaps the biggest war humanity had to face - it was a trilogy for pete's sake... :2cents:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Watched "The last drop" last night. It had all the ingridients to be a great movie, but it wasnt. Clever plot, interesting characters, good action and yet it kind of dragged on...

·
Registered
282 Posts
I would have to say Empire of the Sun that was a good one. Its not a war movie but a movie about people involved in a war. Then there is Life is Beautiful. Oh and my favorite the Incredible Mr. Limpet:)

·
Registered
91 Posts
2nd on Big Red One! And Tora Tora Tora! I also like Flying Leathernecks and John Wayne's Flying Tigers pic although I can't remember the name. Of 'course "The Longest Day" has to be mentioned...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts