Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK talk me out of this. I’m 41 years old, married with a 7 year old daughter. I make a good living. I consider myself a complete newbie. I road dirt bikes as a kid and for years only looked at motorcycles. I few years ago I bought my first streetbike, a Suzuki Katana. It felt too top heavy and tippy so I quickly traded it for a Ducati Monster 600. I didn’t put a lot of miles on it and sold it. I now have an Exile custom which I’m trying to sell, because as much as I love ‘em, riding choppers just ain’t my thing. I’ve long been a fan of FIM & AMA Roadracing. For a couple of year I’ve been reading about track day events and even amateur roadracing and I’d really like to give it a try. Several things are holding me back. 1) Wife and friends saying “too dangerous” “too expensive” and “too old”. 2) Lack of basic skills 3) Lack of confidence i.e. concerns that I really am too old, lack of skills and worries that its just plain irresponsible with a Mortgage and a 7 year old in private school. So am I and all of these other people right and I should just grab a bag of chips and watch the Speed Channel? If not, how do I start? Get a Ninja 250 or 500? Will I get laughed off the track on one of those? I’ve also considered buying a cheap late model salvage bike like a CBR600RR and putting race skins on it. I need or feel like I need something with a low seat height like a Ducati 749 (30.7in.) or the 2006 Suzuki GSXR 600 (31.9in.). VIR is about 3hrs away so I figured I could do some track days and the Cornerspeed school. I don’t know..what do you think.? I’m interested in hearing from the younger guys and the older guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts