Sportbike World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a list of things on why i need a motorcycle so i can help convince my parents...Statistics on safe drivers would help, brighter bikes etc...

I have this so far...

Cheaper than a car
Insurance is cheaper
Much much better on gas mileage
Safer if the driver acts safe and pays attention.

Can you guys help me think of anymore??? Thanx!!!!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
SiiLT said:
I need a list of things on why i need a motorcycle so i can help convince my parents...Statistics on safe drivers would help, brighter bikes etc...

I have this so far...

Cheaper than a car
Insurance is cheaper
Much much better on gas mileage

Can you guys help me think of anymore??? Thanx!!!!
well let me alay a few myths for you...

Not cheaper than a car...maintenance and parts are more expensive than cars...you can plan to go through a set of $200 tires in about 7000 miles....

Insurance:
Um if your still living with your parents, I'm guessing your around 18...full coverage on a relatively new bike is gonna run you about $2400 per year...liability...around 8 or 900 (just guessing on that one)

Definately not safer than a car...sorry..its pretty much proof that a new rider on a sportbike is actually much more dangerous than the same aged person in a car

Your not going to be able to justify it...either they are going to trust you enough to just let you, or you're gonna have to wait till you can do it on your own...

Course your going to get the other opinions, but I lived this one with my parents, so I thought I'd share

·
Registered
108 Posts
The goal shouldn't be to justify the bike, it should be to prove you are respondsible enough to have one. If you are known to do stupid things, I wouldn't count on them agreeing with your decision to get one.

I was fortunate enough to have 2 parents that used to ride so I started on dirtbikes when I was young. By the time I was 16, I was already capable on 2 wheels so my parents didn't have to worry about me learning to ride while dogging cages. My father was an easy sell to get a bike. He knew if I got one, that would be his excuse to start riding again. That is also the reason I ended up with a much larger starter bike than I had originally wanted. It scared the shit out of me at first, but now I'm glad I have it.

I honestly thought my mother would be opposed to it because she has worked in hospitals for years and gets to see first hand what happens in motorcycle accidents. She let me get it though, without any kind of fight because she trusts that I won't do anything stupid on it and I haven't let her down yet. (It also helps that I don't tell her about some of the things I do when I ride).

Your parents most likely know that the bike is inherently more dangerous than a car, so figure out how to sell yourself to your parents!

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Well, Will is telling the truth, but not all is lost. Here is what you need to try. Draw up a contract with your parents. In this contract you need to let them know what you expect from them and what they should expect from you.

1. You must take an MSF course
2. You must wear all protective gear at all times (Full face helmet, Full fingered gloves, Motorcycle jacket, Long pants, Over the ankle boots)
3. You must purchase a bike that is a good beginner bike.
4. You must not get any tickets.
5. You must have your parents help you choose the bike.
6 You must maintain the bike in very good working order.
7. No passengers.

What you should expect from your parents.

1. No doom and gloom talk
2. No over reactions if you drop the bike or have a minor accident.

·
Registered
108 Posts
SiiLT said:
Statistics on safe drivers would help, brighter bikes etc...

And before you start convincing your parents otherwise, a bright bike is not safer than a car. Regardless of how bright the bike is, its still much smaller and harder to see than a car. It can still sit in blind spots and being bright doesn't mean anything if you are looking at it head on.

And a bike is by no means safer than a car if the driver acts safe and pays attention. Most of the time, the problem is not with the rider, but the person in the cage. You can be the safest driver on Earth, but that won't stop the dumb asshole from running into you. When you drop a bike, you go down hard. There is no airbags, seatbelts, or crumple zones. Its just your body in motion, and a ton of stationary objects just waiting to slow you down. I guess you could say that I would rather be in a fender-bender with a car then a close call with a bike...

Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
259 Posts
My parents (I'm 26, so I don't have to justify anything) don't know, and will only know the day I show up with the bike. It might just give them a heart attack, so I'll wait. To help you: That contract sounds great.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'm afraid I agree that the "motorcycles are smart and safe" argument is doomed. They're not. I think you have to take the "I'm smart enough to handle this responsibly" tact. Maybe you can do a lot of research (this site is a good place to start) and come up with a good first bike, the costs of: that bike, good gear, insurance, and a riding course. If you hit them with a lot of facts and figures, maybe they will relent. (Of course this would never have worked with my Mother, but it's worth a shot!) Good luck. :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
The above all sound like good points, but let us know how you make out becaue I still haven't told mine! :p Just hasn't been a good day for that yet.:D ;) :D

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Ok, need help convincing the parents

naefearjustbeer said:

how do you get so many miles out of a set of tyres??
they're tires not tyres :D...j/k

I was being conservative...I only actually got about 5500 out of my last set....before that I actually got almost 10000 out of a set of tires...though the metal was showing through :D

·
Registered
753 Posts
Re: Re: Ok, need help convincing the parents

RedNinja said:

Insurance:
Um if your still living with your parents, I'm guessing your around 18...full coverage on a relatively new bike is gonna run you about $2400 per year...liability...around 8 or 900 (just guessing on that one)

Don't know where you are from but when I was 20 and going to get a new bike, Insurance wouldn't cover me for anything over a 600cc, and that was 480 down and 240 a month. I'll never forget it. My record was clean also, no tickets or accidents.
Shannon

·
Registered
482 Posts
you have to lay down a good history of being a responsible person instead of justifyng a bike over a car... you wont win...

good luck and let us know what happened...

:)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I tried all those tacts with my parents, to no avail. The only one I could really sell them on was the "I can get great parking at school" tact, and that isn't enough to justify a bike. My parents and grandparents helped me through college, and our contract was as follows: "You can buy a bike when we are no longer supporting you." Given that I respect my parents and needed the help to afford school, I respected that. Your parents are only trying to keep you safe and of course,they want to be grandparents. I see two choices: 1) Grin and bear it like I did, and hang out with as many motorcycle people as possible in the mean time 2) Prove to your parents you are responsible enough to ride, and pray that they relent.

Good Luck. I know exactly how you feel! :D

·
Registered
1,408 Posts

shannon muse said:
RedNinja said:

Insurance:

Don't know where you are from but when I was 20 and going to get a new bike, Insurance wouldn't cover me for anything over a 600cc, and that was 480 down and 240 a month. I'll never forget it. My record was clean also, no tickets or accidents.
Shannon
True...I was just guessing...and remembering what my insurance company said when I called them when I was 20...which was sure we'll cover you for 6 months, charge you $200 a month, and then we'll drop all of your policies after that 6 month period...so I waited until I was 25 to get a bike

·
Registered
698 Posts

naefearjustbeer said:

how do you get so many miles out of a set of tyres??
I have a set of BT010's on my Busa that's so far lasted 6,500. It still has about 500 - 1,000 left in the middle, I think. I thought it would wear out quickly on my last tour but it didn't. The tire is very resistant to flat spotting.

I don't doubt you can get one of these to last OVER 7,000 miles on a ZX6R.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Ok, need help convincing the parents

RedNinja said:

they're tires not tyres :D...j/k

I was being conservative...I only actually got about 5500 out of my last set....before that I actually got almost 10000 out of a set of tires...though the metal was showing through :D
I only get about 1500-2000 miles per rear tyre on my bandit the front normally lasts out 2 rear tyres. I always run them down to limit but never until metal is showing, too dangerous for my liking.
I always use bridgestones and go for a sports mileage compound
when i used a sports compound tyre i only got 1000 miles out of the rear.

ps I know that my speeling is shite but in this country we use tyres :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When i said that they are safer if the driver acts safe and is responsible what i meant is:

if I act responsibly the chances of me getting into an accident will be greatly reduced.

I didn't meen they were safer than cars. I know that already :)

Also, my parents know i will be a safe driver. There is NO need for convincing that. I drive a camaro z28 and haven't even gotten a speeding ticket. I also have ridden dirt bikes. What they are worried about is not that I will get into trouble, they are worried that someone ELSE will hit me. Thanks for all the help(lol, i think your helping. I better not let my parents see this thread!!! haha)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Ok, need help convincing the parents

Rogue_Biker said:

I have a set of BT010's on my Busa that's so far lasted 6,500. It still has about 500 - 1,000 left in the middle, I think. I thought it would wear out quickly on my last tour but it didn't. The tire is very resistant to flat spotting.

I don't doubt you can get one of these to last OVER 7,000 miles on a ZX6R.
Maybe the roads over here are made of sandpaper!!! or you have no straight roads over with you so that you are always riding on different parts of the tyre, therefor wearing it out more evenly all the way aroud the profile.

To Get back on topic (BOT) My dad has always had bikes since he was able to walk. so it was a natural progression that i got a bike Yeh i got the be carefull lectures and all the rest but as long as i was able to afford the running costs myself it was ok to get a bike.
when i did have my first come off my parents were there for me and i kinda new it would happen. Most bikers have some sort of accident in thier lives and I was lucky that i didnt come off to badly and that i am still able to ride. In my opinion it is not a case of "if you crash" but "when and how bad it will be".
I always ride like there might be a car parked round the next corner or there might be mud on the road etc. never ride beyond your limits and act like every car is out to wipe you out. And you will have a good chance of surviving on 2 wheels.
remeber that if you didnt do anything dangerous you would never get out of bed in the morning and lead a very boring life.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Convincing

SiiLT, this is dead easy. At around midnight appear at the end of your parents bed holding a shotgun and with a little drool coming from your mouth. Mutter over & over, "Must get bike, must get bike".
That'll convince them !:D

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.