• No

Votes: 57 33.1%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
How about both....

I use synthetic in the race bike, but not in the other two.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I recently switched over to Mobil 1 auto oil. I'm using the 15-50wt.
oil. There is no Energy Conserving additives in it. I have a buddy of mine who has been using it in his 1998 Triumph Speed Triple for the last 6000 miles with no problems.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Re: How about both....

Cam McFarland said:
I use synthetic in the race bike, but not in the other two.
Cam....may I ask why? just curious. AMSOil synthetic here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, AMSOIL 20w50 in my VFR. I've had the Honda Semi-Synthetic tested at a lab and the results weren't so good. Hoping for better with the AMSOIL.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There is a very good oil thread going on in the vfrdiscussion.com web site. I don't want to repeat it all so it would be best to just read it all for yourself. I have my results there and the guy who did the lab work also has other results posted. He'll analyze your oil for free and send you the results if you just send 4 ozs to him.

Go to the forum and select the following menu options:
1. Motorcycle Maintenance
2. Maintenance Questions

The topic is: Oil Analysis mobil 1 20w-50

I'd post the link the address doesn't show up properly.

When I do my next oil change I'll post my results back on that forum again so check back if you're interested.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have yet to go in for my first oil change, but because synthetic shuts the valves up I was told not to use synthetic. I was told that it, well I believe he told me that it can bind to the engine and if you have to rebuild it, you might as well go and buy a new one. Somebody tell me if that is true or not.

·
Registered
352 Posts
what about the saying of once you go fully synthetic you cant go back cause youll ruin your oil seals er something, i dont know if its true. i ran spectro sythentic blend for a bit in my gix and now use valvoline conventional 10w-40 MC oil. i always used to run golden sprectro in my 550 but latly the same with valvoline. i always run mobil synthetic in my turbocharged car and never anything else.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
I can only approach the switching "theory" based on my auto experience. We had a car that was full-synthetic for quite a while and developed a leak. On advice from a grease-monkey friend I switched back to dino oil and the weeping stopped altogether. So if there was some issue with the gaskets, I'd have seen a worse leak I'd expect and that was not the case.

Traded the car about 5k miles later though, so it wasn't a long-life test. But the short experience was enough for me to ignore the theory.

Oh, wait, my Kawi was full synthetic and I've switched it to Rotella 15-40. No issues whatsoever yet and I've at least doubled the mileage on it. Think its at 10k now.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts