Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried using Mobil 1 in their bike? If so what weight did you use and how did the oil perform.

I have been using Bel-Ray SemiSynth and I'm sick of having oil diappear. No oil leaks it just disappears.

Thank you in advance :D

------------------
You get the best thrills on two wheels!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Yippeee! more oil chat.
I've tried it and many other oils, they all generally make my bike go "vroom, vroom". Now I buy "brand X" oil for $.99/qt.- the oil still disappears, but less of my money goes with it.

------------------
'98 Superhawk

·
Registered
133 Posts
i used mobil one car oil in my previous bikes. never had a problem. valve adjustments weren't needed very often. clutch wear was normal. i never used the mobil synth bike oils, but i'll prolly try them at some point in time. i want to try motul next.

------------------
--2000 VTR1000F Super Hawk

·
Registered
468 Posts
I used Honda GN4 in my '95 CBR900RR, and now in my 929 as well. None of my oil ever "disappears", at least not any significant amount. I change it every 3000 miles, and have never had to add any in between changes. Yes, I check it before every ride.

------------------
Rossco.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have used Motul Full synthetic on my previous bike and i am currently using Bel-Ray EXS Full Synthetic and i am very happy with it so far on my current ride.

I would AVOID Golden Spectro, as i blew a gear pack and spun a main on my previous bike while using it. (two separate incidents, all the while keeping clean oil, and regular changes, etc)

As far as oil disappearing? My oil stays the same level until i change it or syphon it out (it was too high). But i do remember (honest) that several SBW members were noting that the R1 and R6 are oil eaters.

Its a Yamoilha thing... i wouldnt understand.

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just finished the break-in period on my ZR750F2, so I am still using regular dino-juice. On my old EX500 (great bike, isn't it!) I also used regular oil. Just changed it every 2500 miles with a new filter. Haven't had any disappear on me yet.

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input! I think I'm goig to try the Mobil 1 synth oil. Walmart seems to have a good price on it anyway.

My 500 and my CB250 never lost oil either just the R6. Must be those crazy revs. If my hips could move that fast I would be way popular. :D :p

------------------
You get the best thrills on two wheels!

·
Registered
987 Posts
About the Golden Spectro, Green. I put 86k on my 85 900 Ninja, and ~105k on my 90 ZX11 using Golden Spectro, and neither of those engines ever had any oil type problems. In fact, I took the oil pan off the 900 before I sold it, and the inside of that engine was clean enough to eat off of, not a speck of anything anywhere. The 12's innards are happily spinning in it right now. Not only does G. S. promote easier, smoother shifting, but if you use it regularly you'll never get sick, you won't get any older, and you'll never die!!

------------------

·
Registered
873 Posts
Leon, lucky you... but if it happens to you someday you will change your tune... just dont say i didnt warn you. Engine and tranny failure on a motorcycle with less the 15K miles, well maintained, non abused and clean, can only be attributed to the oil it is running. Thats my take on it. I was just lucky it was 100% covered both times by an extended factory warranty. Oh well, who knows, i just dont want it to happen again, so G.S. wont be involved with any bike of mine.

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I run regular old car oil, change it every
2k ~ 3k. No problems. I've run all the
other oils, and yeah the synthetics do shift
a little smoother but other than that I have
found no major diff.

Chris

------------------
"If you spent more time worrying about you I wouldn't have to."

·
Registered
292 Posts
Chris read my other post about synths in the "How To" thread. It makes a difference if you run high temperatures. Since you spend most your time on one wheel, however, it probably doesn't make any difference since NO oil is circulating anyway. :D

I use the Mobil 1 for bikes. I want the most resistance to breakdown I can get. Especially when I go to the track. Willow Springs can get very hot and I believe mineral oils would simply fry when subjected to those extreme conditions.

------------------
"You must be fast 'cuz I was haulin' ass when I passed you"

1999 Blue/White YZF-R1: 2 Bros. C4 exhaust, Dynojet jet kit, timing tricker, dyno-tuned by Graves
2000 NBM/Lt Oak int/Blk top C5 Convertible - MN6, Z51, Vortex Rammer, A&A Exhaust, C/R X-pipe, Corsa tips, !CAGS

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm on my second change of Mobil 1 10w-30. I heard this was the stuff to use. So far it's nice. Shifts really smooth. Some R1 owners told me to use it. I change it every 2000 miles. I don't know why such a light oil....

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

[This message has been edited by iowazx6r (edited September 14, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by iowazx6r (edited September 14, 2000).]

·
Registered
292 Posts
I would be wary about using such a light oil for the transmission. It's probably fine in the motor but too thin for the gears. I only use the Mobil 1 10w-40 4-cycle motorcycle oil. The additives are specifically designed for the motorcycles. A lot of the car oils are made to help fuel economy. This can be detrimental to properly lubricating a bike.

------------------
"You must be fast 'cuz I was haulin' ass when I passed you"

1999 Blue/White YZF-R1: 2 Bros. C4 exhaust, Dynojet jet kit, timing tricker, dyno-tuned by Graves
2000 NBM/Lt Oak int/Blk top C5 Convertible - MN6, Z51, Vortex Rammer, A&A Exhaust, C/R X-pipe, Corsa tips, !CAGS

·
Registered
425 Posts
I now use and have used Motul full synthetic with no problems.It just does not disappear.Very satisfied.

------------------

1 - 14 of 14 Posts