Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i've read about this before...

I just got a bike (89 kaw 600R) and sometimes when under hard acceleration it will PoP out of 2nd and find neutral. It only does this sometimes so am I safe to assume that it is not properly in gear all the way or are the Dogs(or bearings or whatever) shot ??

Thanks.

------------------
Allow myself to introduce myself -- Austin Powers

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Well if it does it RELIGOUSLY then yeah the
cogs are shot. If it does it once in a
while, that's normal for Kawis cos they have
that positive nuetral finder in the gear box
which causes the bike to 'find' nuetral more
often then it should. I would try to adjust
the linkage to move the shifter closer to
your foot, see if that helps. Does it do it
more downshifting or upshifting???

Chris

------------------
Anyone got a rear tire I can borrow?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Does it do it
more downshifting or upshifting???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Chris,

It seems to do it only when upshifting, and only when i am really giving it to the bike... It has happened only a couple times, but worried me.

So If I put the shifter closer to my foot..it will reduce the distance the lever has to travel and will get it into the gear fully?

Thanks Chris!

------------------

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Squidwannabe:
So If I put the shifter closer to my foot..it will reduce the distance the lever has to travel and will get it into the gear fully?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

no, you get a more leverage to get to bike into gear better. i lowered the lever about 3/4" on my gsxr. you may not have to go that radical, but i have no feeling in my left foot so i have to get all the pressure i can.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Ok Squid, i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but....

My first sportbike was a brand new (1991) 600R. I rode the bike very hard and in less then 2 years (1993) i began to have the same symptoms as you. it progressed worse and worse untill i had to completely AVOID second gear altogether. Lucky for me i had purchased the extended service plan. I brought the bike down to the dealer and the had to replace the whole gearpack for that gear (i believe it was 2-4 or 2-5 gearpack, somethign like that..it may have been 3-5..it was along time agao and i forget if it was 2nd or 3rd) Anyways, the symptoms were the exact same as yours. If this is the same problem (and i believe it is) you can adjust the shifter all you want and it wont make a bit of difference. Also, the positive neutral finder is not involved here if it is the gearpack. Hopefully i am wrong. If not you are in for some gearbox work.

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Originally posted by chris_y2k_r1:
Well if it does it RELIGOUSLY then yeah the cogs are shot.

If it does it RELIGIOUSLY, does that mean it only does it on Christmas and Easter?

------------------
"After all, we ARE professionals, here."

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greenninja:
Hopefully i am wrong<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes lets hope!
Greeny...

Did it do this once in a while and then eventually get worse? Just for curiosity sake how much di the repairs cost?

------------------

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
My 99 does the same thing. Only under hard acceleration and only occasionally...I guess the moons have to be in a certain alignment or something, since I can't figure out exactly what does it. I will say that it seems to occur more when the bike is not fully warmed up though.

I've got about 12000 miles on mine, and it hasn't gotten any worse...as a matter of fact, I think it has occurred less frequently as time has gone on.

Will

------------------
Will Darton
Sportbikeworld Co-Admin
http://azsportbike.net
99ZX-6e
"Losers always whine about their best, winners go home and f**k the prom queen!" - Sean Connery

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scooter:

If it does it RELIGIOUSLY, does that mean it only does it on Christmas and Easter?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Murphy's Law knows no holidays. :D :D

- Squid bro,

Adjust the linkage see if it helps. You
might not be getting it quite all the way in
gear, escpecially if you are shifting really
quick. My 93 Zx 6 would pop out of gear alot
but I never had any tranny problems. After
I sold it the guy beat the hell out of it
and it started popping out of second gear.
So, it might be normal it might be worn but
you can help the situation by being smart
about it and not abusing the potential
problem.

I wound up splitting the cases on that motor
to satisfy my curiosity (I put a new motor
in for the guy, he bought it, I put it in
for free cuz I'm a nice guy). Anyway when I
checked out the bottom end the mating areas
of the gears (The cogs) where worn out. This
had been done before more me, I didn't beat 2nd
gear on that bike. I rode it fairly kindly
and then this guy beat it to the point of
no recovery. What I am trying to say is,
unless you have to, don't beat on that gear.
Make it a point to shift all the way into
2nd and just generally try to be nice to it.
Put good synthetics in when you change the
oil.

Question - is it in gear for a while and then
pops out, or does it engage and then pop out
immediatley or do you get a missed shift and
never REALLY hit 2nd gear?

I've owned mostly Kawi and Yamaha products.
In my expirience, Yamahas shift like notchy
sh!t and Kawi's pop out of gear. Bike trannies
are a weak link.

------------------
Anyone got a rear tire I can borrow?

[This message has been edited by chris_y2k_r1 (edited July 19, 2000).]

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Posted by chris_y2k_r1
Question - is it in gear for a while and then
pops out, or does it engage and then pop out
immediatley or do you get a missed shift and
never REALLY hit 2nd gear?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris,

For the most part it will engage and then 1 second later it will pop out.. or I miss the shift and it revs(and I look stupid!)

I think I will go easier on the shifting, I might be shifting to quick ? If I shift nice and easy and hammer on the throttle it wont pop out.

Thanks Again.
Adam

------------------

·
Registered
873 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Squidwannabe:
....If I shift nice and easy and hammer on the throttle it wont pop out....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is good news. Basically on my 600R it started out as an occaisonal pop-out and progressed to the point of not staying in the gear for longer than 1 second EVER. No matter how i shifted.

Will, dont try to blame your lack of technique on your bike... :D :D :D

As far as costs. the dealer ate the whole bill, they also ate the whole bill when i spun a main bearing at 120 mph/10k RPM, (dont use Golden Spectro!) Like i said, i was hard on the 600R and it let me know it.

------------------
Fear Green.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts