1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
I like my bike like I like my girl - Nekkid
1,142 Posts
Im not going to lie, if I had a kid right now, they would have one of those. Pretty smart, they can dial only 4 people, and can recieve all incomming calls.

In return you can always get ahold of your kid now aday's. They can call you when they want to go to the park, or a friends if your not around. Smart idea to me.

-Nick

·
Registered
338 Posts
Ah the electronic leash--now available for kids of all ages...If I had kids they wouldn't have a cell phone since I don't want to subject them to being on an electronic leash during their childhood when I know they are most likely going to be put on one (electronic leash) when they become an adult. I'm also waiting on the official report of whether cell phones are harmful to peoples health, until I find out they are 100% unharmful I wouldn't want to subject my kids to a cancer or other illness causing device.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I like the idea of the cell phone thing. Not right now though because they are in grade school and there isn't a use for them. But, since we can't always be with our kids, I think it's smart.

When my kids want to play with their frineds after school, I give them each a walkie-talkie so that I can push a button and see what they are doing. Since the entire cul du sac is full of kids their ages (4-8), they never stay in the same place for very long.

Even when you go on a cruise, your kid (under 12) gets a pager. I think it's smart for parents to know what is always going on. Plus, when they DO get their cell phones, they'll be used to me calling and bugging them....lol

Jen

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm kinda torn on this subject- what happened to the good old days when your mom would just yell down the street it was time to come home? But things have changed and with change you must adapt. I guess when my kids are old enough, I will have to do this just in order to keep track of them. Although, I agree, what are these cell phones gonna do to them at such an early age?:confused:

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Too much marketing shoved down kids throats these days.
Too much attention whore stuff too.
Boys are shoved into violent video games where you kill and blow up everything in sight,
girls are shoved into a fashion scene with glitter cellphones and bratz dolls with low riders and half tops.
Parents get pushed into the "buy this stuff for your kids or be the scum of the town"
I see cell phones for kids as a blessing and a hinderance.
Communicate with your kids more, be a safer family, but yet live in a more sugar coated world, where kids cannot resolve problems on their own, get disiplined less, need drugs to calm down, and need therapy at early ages.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Irritating is the fact that schools are trying to keep cell phones out, and yet companies do this to make money anyway.
They design the phone to appear to only be used to call mom and dad and emergencies and that's not how it works.
Children need to be learing and playing, not acting like pimps at age seven.
Stuff like this is not targeted for teens, it's targeted for tweens.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Although I do love video games that blow shiat up.:)

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
All it will takes is some smart kid to figure out how to crack open the code for putting in numbers to fill up the 20 spots in the phonebook section of the phone.....and huge bills will start showing up. If the kids can receive calls, you know their li snot nose friends will be calling it and bam....another huge bill. If this is supposed to be the keep track of your kid phone, why aren't they equipped with the GPS locator like some phones now have. You can pinpoint where your kid is, within a meter. I know these have been around for a long time, but I can not say I have ever seen any kids with one.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Whether or not we agree, I'm sure it we CAN agree that it all comes down to PARENTING your child. If you are sucked into Bratz dolls and letting your girl wear belly shirts and skirts that only come below her butt, then that's your problem. There are a lot of things marketed but it's up to the PARENTS to choose what is best for their kids. Just because Suzie's family lets her dress like a hooker doesn't mean I will let my child do it.

To me, having the kids have the walkie talkies (and later, the cell phones) makes it easier for me to get a hold of my child when I want to. If they are inside a house, they won't hear me yelling for them. I've tried! ;) I can't be 4 places at once, but with a walkie talkie/cell phone, I can be. If someone's kid sits at home and plays video games all day, I guess that parent doesn't have anything to worry about. :2cents:

Jen

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
636Jen said:
[

To me, having the kids have the walkie talkies (and later, the cell phones) makes it easier for me to get a hold of my child when I want to. If they are inside a house, they won't hear me yelling for them. I've tried! ;) I can't be 4 places at once, but with a walkie talkie/cell phone, I can be. If someone's kid sits at home and plays video games all day, I guess that parent doesn't have anything to worry about. :2cents:

Jen [/B]
The walkies is a good idea and we do that at my house too. The boy likes going off into the woods and building forts, so the walkie is the way to go. If he needs help or is hurt, or just needs to get his arse home, we can get him with the click of a button.

I think the person with the kid that sits home all day and plays video games, has plenty to worry about!!!! Social skills, obesity, laziness, and the list goes on and on!

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
UglyAngelX said:
The walkies is a good idea and we do that at my house too. The boy likes going off into the woods and building forts, so the walkie is the way to go. If he needs help or is hurt, or just needs to get his arse home, we can get him with the click of a button.

I think the person with the kid that sits home all day and plays video games, has plenty to worry about!!!! Social skills, obesity, laziness, and the list goes on and on!
Exactly. My kids like to DO things so they are never in the same place for very long.

LOL, I agree that the parent with the kid at home who plays video games all day does have something to worry about, as you mentioned...I meant as far as where to find him/her! ;)

Jen

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,323 Posts
my 14 yr old has her own phone and is very responsible about using it... our schools allow cell phones BUT they have to be in the locker and ringer off until after hours.. this way if they are there after school for what ever they have a means of reaching mom or dad or we have a means to reach them... with ringer off we can text them instructions for what ever and don't have to bother the office to reach my child ...

I dont' think any phones shoudl be allowed IN CLASSROOMS!

I know that some have been caught using them to cheat on tests and take pic as well for cheating.. keeping them in lockers is the best solution for this problem..

as to what will they do to the kids ... hmm... just imagine what they said about TV's when they first came out and all of a sudden instead of sitting around a radio kids started sitting around TV's.. I guess I dont' think of cell phones as being any more harmful...

E.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So far my boy stops buy if he moves from one location to another to update us on where he is, or asks if he can go somewhere.
We may buy radios soon.
Our area is soo rual he could drown in a pond, river, fall in a ravine, step in a animal trap, get lost in a tree'd acre..ect.
Little more caution needed than city block or sub.
We live in a sub, but it borders all this hundred acre wood christopher robin and pooh stuff.
I prefer to not be in a panic if we cannot get a hold of him when we need to.
He needs to grow up and be cautious of his own accord.
We need to let go more than he does.

As far as cellphones for tweens...Kids 7 thru 14.....
I think schools have enough problems to deal with as it is...
If he's near home and I can't find him, I can get up off my dead ass and look for him, else I'd be the lazy one..
and a side thought......How long before a 7yo looses or breaks the said cellphone anyway?:confused:

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DreamRyder said:
my 14 yr old has her own phone and is very responsible about using it... our schools allow cell phones BUT they have to be in the locker and ringer off until after hours.. this way if they are there after school for what ever they have a means of reaching mom or dad or we have a means to reach them... with ringer off we can text them instructions for what ever and don't have to bother the office to reach my child ...

I dont' think any phones shoudl be allowed IN CLASSROOMS!

I know that some have been caught using them to cheat on tests and take pic as well for cheating.. keeping them in lockers is the best solution for this problem..

as to what will they do to the kids ... hmm... just imagine what they said about TV's when they first came out and all of a sudden instead of sitting around a radio kids started sitting around TV's.. I guess I dont' think of cell phones as being any more harmful...

E.
fourteen is a reasonable age for cellphone use.:thumb:

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Duner said:
fourteen is a reasonable age for cellphone use.:thumb:
I prefer to not be in a panic if we cannot get a hold of him when we need to.
Then the 2 ways would be a great idea to get. Push a button, ask him how he is, no problems.

My kids won't have cell phones until they are in middle school. (Playing and practicing sports and farther away at camps/trips/parties, etc) As I said before, there is no reason for them to have them right now. When they go outside to play, they are given a walkie talkie so that while I'm making dinner, I don't have to stop what I'm doing and go door to door looking for them! There are litterally (as I count in my head) 30 kids in 14 houses around the cul du sac that have kids from 4-9. The all play at each others houses and there are always parents there to supervise. We are close-knit street, we see each other every day at the bus stop and every two weeks, someone hosts a coffee/breakfast. :) It's not like we don't know each other. ;) It's also a good way for the PARENTS to get a hold of me if there is any problem. :thumb:

I think cell phones in lockers are ok, not in classrooms.

Jen

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,323 Posts
can you believe at orientation when they were going over the rules .. when they came to the cell phone in lockers and if any are caught elsewhere they will be taken away and not returned.. a parent had the nerve to say that was unfare :confused: WTF??

rules are rules darlin.. if your kid chose to break that rule then they deserve to not be allowed to have the same privlidge as those who abide by them....

E.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts