Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it get any better than this.

At 17 ... back in 1987 .. definitely not. It was financed up to the screen, and I had no money for gloves or helmet.

I rode round with a second hand blue and silver helment, jeans and sneakers. The visor was so scratched I could see ferk all.

When I went into the showroom to take it for a test drive the salesman laughed at me. He politely explained that if I brought him a cheque I could do what ever the ferk I wanted with it ...

Sadly I was all a bit 17yo stupid back then, so I did just that.

The steering lock was shite, and compared to the little wee 400 I had just sold, it was a big bike. It was the first time I had even sat on a true sport bike, unless you count the GS1000. Either way, this thing made we feel like my arse was 6 feet of the ground, and my head 3 feet.

I had to do a u-turn leaving the showroom, up a slight rise. Up I went, started to turn it ... then a cold sickly sweat hit me as I stopped in the middle of the road, with the bike going over. I stuck my leg out and strained with all I had to stop it going down.

I saved it ... just. Oh to have been that salesman, ferk he must have laughed.

On the way home a tractor pulled out in front of me ... so I hit the brakes ... I stopped about 100m from the tractor and AGAIN looked like a complete ferk.

Still ..... at the time, I thought I was the bees knees, and in the end surely that is all that matters. Ah, you just have got to love bikes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Haha I bet that sales guy still tells the story.

I've been agreeing with you more than I'm comfortable with lately Ledge but boy you've got it in one, nothing like those old school memories of early biking days - I wanna know how did we all survive???

The first roadie I even had the pleasure of was my bigger bro's RG500 (why not hey??). I'll never forget trying to turn the bars (like my YZ mx-er of the time) to get that bastid around the first corner I came to... how I didn't go straight up the gutter I'll never know :rolleyes: :rolleyes: He would have killed me.

After recovering from that near disaster, I figured I'd give it some on a straight bit - fark me I stained the undies as I felt warp speed for the first time.... :eek: :eek: I mean compared, the thing couldn't pull the top off a rice pudding, but I was hooked!!! :D :D

I'll have to dig out a pic or two.

·
Registered
642 Posts
1985 : The Tender Age of 17

I did a deal with my mother when I was 17 that if she helped me buy my first car then I would not own a motorcycle before I was 30.

I thought that I'd be the proud owner of a Fiesta XR2 at the time, by my mother thought a 1.1L Bravo was more the go.

I guess it was the same for everyone else of our age vintage but we were brought up on The Professionals and The Sweeney .... when car chases involved villains in Old Jags and the cops in Fords and Rovers.

My poor little Fiesta was driven into the ground in 5 minutes flat which left me wondering how to kill the next 13 years before I could get me a decent bike......

And then guess what ... the first one was a Trumper .. Sprint ST ..... but it wasn't long before the Track beckoned....

·
Registered
315 Posts
1965: an even tenderer 16

Me furst bike was one of these though not this one. 350cc, eighteen quid, must have been about 1950 vintage. I had it apart countless times, polished the valves and flywheel rim, fitted a mechanical fuel injector, totally teenage nuts; probably the power went from 16 bhp to 15. Had no fear in those days: one day going round a tight left-hander near home I knew well, I wondered what would happen if I opened the throttle wide mid-turn. One second later I was sliding on my arse of course; lucky nothing came the other way. I had a Lambretta too so I could do Mod or ROcker depending how I felt that day.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
fist bike

my first bike was a 69' Bridgestone 100 TMX has anyone heard of these? I recovered it after it sat in a barn for 20 years, paid 20 dollors for it but figured out it would cost me way to much to get it running. I gave it to my friend who replaced some ignition parts which they had no clue as to wether yamaha parts would work or not! It was run hard for a few years, including being ghost ridden off my buddies motocross jumps and shortly after covered in a ditch by a dozer loader. I think it could be worth some money some day, ill be out there digging it up if so! here is a pic http://www.bridgestonemotorcycle.com/images/BSGP.jpg

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Memory lane (for those who are not too senile to remember)

First bike was bought with my supermarket shelf stacking wages which were supplemented with the sale of unwanted items that somehow managed to end out in the skip when I threw out the rubbish :loser:
Still a skool and feeling rich I got a 1974 XL125 a bit like this one. It was the most polished bike in the world and I believe if Id kept it any longer Id have worn through the casings with Autosol and my Dads shirt. I managed to crash into everything and once went straight through the next doors hedge while pretending to be Sammy Millar on Mums rockery :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Later

After leaving skool in Teesside when unemployment was over 28% I realised that fumbling around an a skip at midnight twice a week wasnt exacctly a long term career so I pioneered the first YOP scheme :squid: While on the dole I went round all the car dealers and offered to work for a month for free and if after that I impressed them they would give me an apprenticeship. Eventually I impressed Mr Appleyard so much he offered me an apprenticeship on the same pay as my dole money :eek: I was making more in the skip but with OT Id clear about 30 quid a week so I could get pissed twice a week and pay an instalment on one of these :cool: Compared to the barely running X7 that I aquired in between the CBX was a rocket ship and I still amazed that I actually survived the experiance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Dropped a KH 250 on black ice and it disappeard through a hedge 50 meters away. Took me 10 mins to find. Then another 20 to moto cross across a ploughed field to the nearest gate as i couldn't get the farkin thing back through the hedge. Got to work lookin like Sammy Miller!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Who the fark is Sammy Miller???

My first ever bike.... @ the ripe old age of 12 (1982)... Thankfully I had 25 acres of open space (with nothing more than a small dam and a few cows) to learn what to do with it.

Within 5 years I'd upgraded to a 125, then 250 and the only one I still miss..a CR-500. The thing would wheelie in top gear on the tar woo hoo:D :D Then I tried the road and haven't looked back :thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh my 1-4.

your first bike demonstrates one of the more unfortunate effects of 'generation gap'.

I'm afraid for most people still alive, that 'bike' of yours does not fit within the general scope of the definition (except for BC and his Enfield's) .. :)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Re: Re: Memory lane (for those who are not too senile to remember)

Blue Catt said:
Might have been watching Peter Pervis commentating on an episode of Kick Start that spurred me onto the rockery:squid:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There are some scary revelations coming out here.... so in this spirit I'll bore you all further ;-)

Tug, we must be brothers seperated at birth. My first bike, XL125S ... and while in the showroom I stood and droooled over the brand new CBX400 and it's oh so shiny exhaust headers. Oh I dearly wanted that think, but too much bike for me it was.

In the center of the showroom was a VF500 on a stand about 4 feet off the ground. I didn't dare go near that thing as even in my wildest wet 15 yo dreams it was too much to wish for.

Still .. the XL was something else. I bought it (my introduction to buying things with no money, fully financed and therefore being shite broke). BUT ... It was freedom plain and simple. You will all have a similar memory when you passed your licence and had your own transport (bike or car). You could go ANYWHERE and it didn't mean peddling your pushie, or begging your mum.

One day during school holidays it dawned on me that I could ride into town ... ferk me, I could get there on my own without catching a bus !! .... awesome.

My moments of glory werre short lived though. I had one of those horrid open face red helmets, with a full face clip on visor. I was 'crusing' one day when I went to overtake the local posers in there Ford Falcon on the main street. I was about to be brought down several notches as they accelated on me while I was half way passed .... bastids.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2 stroke heaven.

I did this arse about face. I had gone through the lovely gsxr750 four stroke and then bikeless ... having completely missed the usual formative years on pokie high maintenance 2 strokes....

So I bought one of these as my reintroduction to bikes after being off them for 5 years. I was about 25 I think.

Ferk me! ... I was a decent size for a 250 .. it was LIGHT .. and boy did it go well ... what a machine ... but there was no such thing as a smooth steady throttle, and it sounded NOTHING like it looked like it should (still used to 4 strokes you see). It turns out the 'ringa ding ding ding .... ding ding ding .. sing sing sing .. rrriiiiinggggg .. ding ding ..' does sound good, if 2 strokes are your thing.

And kicking starting it was just not right .... neither was the traffic !! I scared myself shiteless and it was sold within 3 months...

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Here we go again...

Legend said:
oh my 1-4.

your first bike demonstrates one of the more unfortunate effects of 'generation gap'.

I'm afraid for most people still alive, that 'bike' of yours does not fit within the general scope of the definition (except for BC and his Enfield's) .. :)
End-leg, the last time I had to educate you was when you claimed that fatter tyres give more grip. You have been a good boy since then but that moment has come to complete your training.

1950 was the year that Norton took the first three places in the Senior TT. It was also the year that they took the first three places in the Junior TT.

That of course was after a modest racing history which started with winning the twin-cylinder TT class in 1907, and continued via for example the '24 Senior and sidecar TTs and 7 of the 9 Seniors and Juniors in the 30s, before they switched to military production. On Model 50s by the way.

Back in business, they introduced the Legend-ary Featherbed frame in 1951, on which Geoff Duke won both S and J races that year, having also broken the lap record the previous year.

Duke was beaten a few times by another Norton rider in 1955, John Surtees, of whom you may have heard.

Norton won the 73 TT with a monocoque chassis, and the 92 TT with a rotary engine.

There's more, but you get my drift. :cool:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1-4 point taken ... They had done nothing for a very long time, hence the reason the bike you bought was so cheap ? ... hehehe

And as for 'Sammy Miller' .. here is a pic of him. No wonder none of us know him except for the 'old chap' amoungst us arf arf

Attachments

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
He doesn't look like he can reach the pedals :rolleyes: :rolleyes: and I'd have liked to see him go over a pile of barrels on that!!!

Those Norton's sound great, but then again everything else was crap back then too :thumb: :thumb:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts