Sportbike World banner

Officially Carless... What would you do?

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Kyle 
#1 ·
Hey all... it's been a while since i've been around these parts. Anyway I've been riding all winter so long as there hasnt been snow on the ground but 2 nights ago on the way out to dinner my "car" finally kicked the bucket. The oil pump went for the second time in 6 months and its not worth fixing again at $450. The car is an 1988 Buick Regal, 90,600 miles. The rack is shot (mo power steering), shocks/struts are non-moving, tranny is rough but hasnt given me any problems... So basically the car is showing its age through the drivetrain but everything else (paint, body, interior, etc...) is in awesome shape for the age of the car.

So I see 2 options: Give it to the junkyard or piece it out. What do you all think? Oh and yes i am just riding the bike for the time being, which has proven to be a pain in the ass at times but whatever.

So what do you all think?

#2 ·
Wow it's Kyle, long time no see.

I'd have to see what the junk yard would give you for it. If he gives you something close to what you think you could get for pieces, i say go for it. It's less hassle all around.:2cents:

#3 ·
i'd junk it completely and not worry about getting any money for it. but at the same time, a $450 repair bil may be allot less than a new car payment. the oil pump going after only 6 months? wouldn't that constitute a warrantee reapir on theoil pump or did you put another junk one in to begin with?

ah, screw it. junk it. good weathers coming. save your money and buy a better car in the fall or over the summer. if it rains, wear a raincoat.

#4 ·
Kyle said:
So what do you all think?
I think that there are three movies they should NEVER ever play as inflight programming on airplanes.

1. Con Air
2. Air Force One
3. Passenger 57

But that's not important. As far as your car, I'd say do what Tippy said. If you can get more by junking it, do that. Don't underestimate the fun factor of ripping the thing to pieces to part out though. :)

#5 ·
Re: Re: Officially Carless... What would you do?

spicersh said:
But that's not important. As far as your car, I'd say do what Tippy said. If you can get more by junking it, do that. Don't underestimate the fun factor of ripping the thing to pieces to part out though. :)
i don't know about Indiana or PA but in MA allot of times YOU have to pay to get rid of it or it gets hauled for free. unless you part it out yourself, you typically won't get anything from the junk yards. some RARE occasions, you may get $50.

some new auto dealers may give you $2000 for a trade on special sales days.

or paint it up, smach out the windows, weld the doors shut, remove all the trim work incuding mirrors, winshield whipers, and door handles and enter it into a demolition derby and put her to rest the right way. :thumb:

#6 ·
Re: Re: Officially Carless... What would you do?

spicersh said:
I think that there are three movies they should NEVER ever play as inflight programming on airplanes.

1. Con Air
2. Air Force One
3. Passenger 57
i would like to add Executive Decision and Airplane to this list. :thumbs2:

#7 ·
Around Seattle, there are many charities that accept cars. Not sure what they do with them, but it would be better than paying for someone to haul it off.

You might also check local community colleges or tech schools that have an auto program. They need auto-cadavers to learn on. They could fix it up, sell it and get some money for their end of year party.

#8 ·
You guys came up with a few good ideas I never thought of...

Anyway one thing I purposely left out is this... I only need a car until September, at which time I'm moving to the Virgin Islands and a car isn't necessary (sadly neither is a bike). So thats why its either sell or scrap and not fix (unless the mechanic gives the warranty.)

Thanks for the respsonses though... oh and my choice of movie that should never be shown on an airplane is Gigli, for the simple fact that it should NEVER be shown period.

#9 ·
Kyle said:
... I only need a car until September, at which time I'm moving to the Virgin Islands and a car isn't necessary (sadly neither is a bike). So thats why its either sell or scrap and not fix (unless the mechanic gives the warranty.)
fuck it. scrap it. whats 6 months with no car. you got the bike till then.

#12 ·
Thanks for all the intrest but i think things may have worked themselves out... buddy of mine has an old, ugly, but very reliable GMC version of the S-10. It's nothin to look at, but it goes, stops, shifts, turns, and can haul the bike... and for under $400, why not.

Now for the next question: What color spray paint?:cool:

#13 ·
Kyle said:
Thanks for all the intrest but i think things may have worked themselves out... buddy of mine has an old, ugly, but very reliable GMC version of the S-10. It's nothin to look at, but it goes, stops, shifts, turns, and can haul the bike... and for under $400, why not.

Now for the next question: What color spray paint?:cool:
You can't go wrong with a homemade cammo:rolleyes:

#15 ·
Well after a glimpse of hope that the car was fixable its back to being totally dead. Junkyard wont give me anything for it, mechanic wants it off his lot by Saturday, and I can't see just giving it away (even with the tax break im still a dependant and I wouldn't see that money for a while anyway).

Any ideas of what to do? I'm debating putting it in my friends back yard and piecing it out bit by bit until i've sucked all I can out of it than junk it. Any more ideas?

#17 ·
Haha... yea that'd definatly be the most fun route, but its not THAT kind of regal. Front wheel drive all the way, I was thinking more along the lines of demolition derby.

Kyle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.