Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received this email from my friend, and I think it was written directly by him. I think he makes a pretty darn good point of the myopia, or single focus on "defined celebrities" in the US.

when something like this happens, and it is second-third-fourth... page news! I usually don't send out e-mail like this, but I'm really upset that our news seems to be more and more filtered to what the US media 'thinks' we need to know. For the first couple days of this disaster, it was in fact not a huge story (at least up here), but it was clearly a catastrophe of epic proportions. The media quickly (a couple days after) realized that this was in fact important, and thus the 24hr coverage now, but when I see stories like this (just by stumbling on the news because of my own personal interests), I cant help but get upset by who/how our news is filtered to us. If this was someone like Madonna, or Donald Trump, we would not hear the end of it!!

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/SPORT/01/04/tsunami.relief/

This guy gave $10,000,000 cash to the tsunami relief and it is barely covered by any US press. We see when Sandra Bullock gives one-tenth that, or if Bono is going to do a free concert to raise a couple houndred thousand $'s, but this guy cuts a check for $10M and no one west of the Atlantic seems to think it is newsworthy. The only article I see from a US journalist also goes on to say how the NBA and NFL are collecting money at games for the tsunami relief (NOT THE Players OF COURSE, BUT THEY ARE COLLECTING FROM THE FANS!!!) Nice. So the next time anyone thinks that these guys are just no-brains who drive cars in circles and dont think they are really athletes, think at least about this. He just donated more than The President of the United States was willing to give a few days ago, more than any other single individual in the world, and more than the so called 'athletes' we hear about everyday (combined). I hope this can be a wake up call to the wealthy in this country to step up, shut up and help.
Hooray for Michael Schumacher. He has always been a fantastic ambassador to the world for Formula One racing. I just wish the rest of the world would wake up and pay attention to these guys, if not for their self-importance then as encouragement for other wealthy individuals to do the same.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Thread moved to Off Topic forum. :)

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I still hate all types of car racing. But that is a pretty nice chunk of change he sent over. Good job dude:thumbs2:

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
The Waltons could get together and cut one of their several billions to the region. Call it employee gratitude day. Many of their dollars are directly off the backs of folks in that region.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
This is not a time when one wants all to stand up a bow to you for what you have done or how much you have donated.

The others are front page stuff anyway & let us hope more of the front page stars will kick in more money donations.

I was seening a bit of the CBC-TV of how kids have got togeather & rounded up money this way & that way. Good possibility others have done far better & not been on TV or even recognized.

At the same program one 8 yr old in a school class stood up & said how he was donating $20.00 & hoped others would follow.

The next minute is another kid of the same age & looked like a different school saying he would be giving $40.00 of his monthly allowance. Slight difference I think. In my thinking I do not feel the kid about to hand out $40.00 was handing out ALL of his allowance so had to wonder what did this rich 8 yr old get each month?

Then went back to when I was 8 yrs of age & my allowance was 25 cents a week so monthly it totalled $1.00. That being back in '38 during the depression.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Does anyone else get the feeling that there is some kind of sick competition about who can donate the most money in all of this?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
spicersh said:
Does anyone else get the feeling that there is some kind of sick competition about who can donate the most money in all of this?
Was thinking the exact same thing as you, but didn't want to say anything.

I think that Bono is going to wait for mostly everyone to stop donating, and when they do, he's going to donate 10 times what they did and make a huge media frenzy about it. I despise that man with a passion.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Slip-On said:
Was thinking the exact same thing as you, but didn't want to say anything.

I think that Bono is going to wait for mostly everyone to stop donating, and when they do, he's going to donate 10 times what they did and make a huge media frenzy about it. I despise that man with a passion.
I never knew much about Bono and am not sure I have ever even heard his music so it's safe to say I'm not a fan. On the other hand, what I do know of him came from a few interviews on shows like Charlie Rose and Paul O'Neill's story of his trip with Bono to Southern Africa. It was a challenge made, of sorts, by Bono and accepted by O'Neill, to visit and see the conditions first hand. Before it was over O'Neill had a whole new respect for Bono's knowledge and understanding of the problems, needs, and solutions of the region. He apparently has lived the deal, his efforts are very real and unselfish, and he invests real time and effort into what he does. O'Neill admitted he thought he knew what was going on there and that Bono was just another mouthy rock star until Bono dragged him around the countryside and gave him a set of brains about the realities and how little it would really take to make a MAJOR difference in those folks lives. One of the main ones was as simple as safe drinking water. O'Neill, as Sec. of Treasury, overstepped his authority by agreeing that for the small amounts needed, it was a no-brainer and that he would get right on it when he got back to Washington. Well.... that was probably involved in his demise with the apple of my eye, fruit of my loom,;) GW Bush and Company. GOD, I hate that man. He strains my Christian belief in forgiveness and tolerance, something I may have to beg for as a result of those emotions.;)

It is a shame when hardships like that are used for grandstanding but I'm not always sure who gets the blame, them or the media. In different instances it can be both. Also, it IS a chance to get some attention for causes that aren't as spectacular but just as devastating to millions of people in the world. What about the folks of the region who are living in abject poverty while working every day, making products that we buy, especially clothing, and unable to properly feed or get medical attention for their own kids? What about the folks in THIS country, suffering the same problems because their jobs were sent over there, to exploit them? A good opportunity for this country to do some soul searching on many levels. Exhibit some of those Christian values we are so willing to cry out from the mountaintop, for all to see. :thumb: :2cents:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Dad said:
I never knew much about Bono and am not sure I have ever even heard his music so it's safe to say I'm not a fan. On the other hand, what I do know of him came from a few interviews on shows like Charlie Rose and Paul O'Neill's story of his trip with Bono to Southern Africa. It was a challenge made, of sorts, by Bono and accepted by O'Neill, to visit and see the conditions first hand. Before it was over O'Neill had a whole new respect for Bono's knowledge and understanding of the problems, needs, and solutions of the region. He apparently has lived the deal, his efforts are very real and unselfish, and he invests real time and effort into what he does. O'Neill admitted he thought he knew what was going on there and that Bono was just another mouthy rock star until Bono dragged him around the countryside and gave him a set of brains about the realities and how little it would really take to make a MAJOR difference in those folks lives. One of the main ones was as simple as safe drinking water. O'Neill, as Sec. of Treasury, overstepped his authority by agreeing that for the small amounts needed, it was a no-brainer and that he would get right on it when he got back to Washington. Well.... that was probably involved in his demise with the apple of my eye, fruit of my loom,;) GW Bush and Company. GOD, I hate that man. He strains my Christian belief in forgiveness and tolerance, something I may have to beg for as a result of those emotions.;)

It is a shame when hardships like that are used for grandstanding but I'm not always sure who gets the blame, them or the media. In different instances it can be both. Also, it IS a chance to get some attention for causes that aren't as spectacular but just as devastating to millions of people in the world. What about the folks of the region who are living in abject poverty while working every day, making products that we buy, especially clothing, and unable to properly feed or get medical attention for their own kids? What about the folks in THIS country, suffering the same problems because their jobs were sent over there, to exploit them? A good opportunity for this country to do some soul searching on many levels. Exhibit some of those Christian values we are so willing to cry out from the mountaintop, for all to see. :thumb: :2cents:
Never really knew anything about those interviews Dad. Good information.:thumb:

I have to disagree with you when it comes to religion. Just MHO, religion needs to be kept out of the government. It's a shame when someone uses their religion to appear more favorable. :2cents:

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Slip-On said:
Never really knew anything about those interviews Dad. Good information.:thumb:

I have to disagree with you when it comes to religion. Just MHO, religion needs to be kept out of the government. It's a shame when someone uses their religion to appear more favorable. :2cents:
The forgotten commandment:

"Keep thy God to thine own damned self."

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Slip-On said:
Amen.;)

(Not sure where the disagreement lies.):)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Dad said:
Amen.;)

(Not sure where the disagreement lies.):)
Come to think of it..... me either. :dunno: C'mere 'n' hug me you som'bitch! :D

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
spicersh said:
The forgotten commandment:

"Keep thy God to thine own damned self."
Dont you think that using the word "damned" is abit ironic in that statement?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Vash said:
Hey Alanis, I saw Scott come out of the woods with two pieces of bark and I read specifically one of the commandments that said "Keep thy God to thine own damned self.". He said that when he went into the woods that a higher being told him to write it down... It HAS to be true.

:laughing:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

EDIT: I felt like being a smartass...forgive me.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Vash said:
DING DING DING!! We have a winnah!! :thumb:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts