Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally taking the plunge and getting on the track. I'm signed up for Pridmore's STAR school in Topeka, KS on June 3rd. Nervous but excited... :eek: ;)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just put a new set of 207ZRs on. Hopefully they'll be nicely scuffed but not too worn by the time June 3rd rolls around. I'm guessing they'll be all the tire I need (vs. GP compound).

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Excellent..relax, and have fun..I have a friend that will prolly be there, his name is Nick..he rides a red & black 98 600 Gixxer..if ya see him..tell em Hammer said Hi..:D

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Less than a week! Got some low-tack tape yesterday for the headlight/gauges. Now everyone pray to the rain gods to stay away from Topeka next Monday!!! :D

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
a slight drizzle isn't a bad thing. just keep it in your head that you can ride in the rain.... :) but warm and sunny is MUCH more fun. relax and enjoy what your bike can really do.

word of warning--whatever you've been saving up for, forget about it. you're hittin' the track!!!

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
tigerblade said:
Less than a week! Got some low-tack tape yesterday for the headlight/gauges. Now everyone pray to the rain gods to stay away from Topeka next Monday!!! :D
Hey...duct tape works fine..:D Oh, and remember......RELAX..:rolleyes: :D sorry...

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
STAR was awesome.

Jason Pridmore was actually there (kinda surprised me). He was very cool and never seemed condescending when trying to teach us newbies. The rest of the instructors were also great.

The track? Well, it's the only one I've been on, but even Jason said that it was in need of a repave. Pretty bumpy, lots of tar strips, some concrete patches. Only one guy went down (that I know of) and it was while coming onto the front straight, which is also the dragstrip. My rear end stepped out a little a few times, so I could see where too much throttle too early might be a problem (he was on a Hayabusa).

Richie Alexander pulled me aside during our first "free" session and told me what I need to work on. Mostly my body positioning needs work, and I was sticking too much to a tight corner exit rather than letting the bike run out wider. They wanted us to set up in the middle of the track before turn-in and run a tight line but I think I should have moved out a little. He said that I was getting a little too much lean angle. I could have moved up to the Advanced Group (I was in the Street Group) but I didn't feel comfortable moving up yet.

I really wish I could have returned for the second day (today) but finances and work just wouldn't allow it. Maybe next year...

:D

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Sounds like you had a great time, and got some pointers from some very good riders, in Jason, and Richie..:thumb: :D I'd like to take one Stars class's..:D Ahh..having a somewhat less than good suface kinda takes some of the fun factor out..I know it does for me..but it's a good learning experience..:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts