Sportbike World banner

off duty police officer on bike killed

1K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  cookeetree 
#1 ·
Last night, on I96, 3 off duty police officers were riding their own bikes when an 18 wheeler crashed into them, killing one officer.

The truck driver stopped, got out of his truck and checked the truck, then got back into the truck and "sped" off.

The police got him later.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/9402619/detail.html

So the moral is watch yourself and try not to ride near large trucks.

#3 ·
Bike accidents

Jeez, it seems that Detroit is a killing ground for motorcyclists. Sure have been hearing a lot of accident stories from there lately. Maybe the stories are overrepresented because there are a lot of Michigan riders on this board.

#5 ·
fasterbusa said:
Last night, on I96, 3 off duty police officers were riding their own bikes when an 18 wheeler crashed into them, killing one officer.

The truck driver stopped, got out of his truck and checked the truck, then got back into the truck and "sped" off.

The police got him later.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/9402619/detail.html

So the moral is watch yourself and try not to ride near large trucks.
Afternoon NEWS reports said that the motorcycle HIT HIM. The driver didn't realize it (heck he's in a semi) and when he got to his destination someone told him about it, at which time he immediately drove back. Sounds pretty likely to me, after all, like that one cop-based forum said, who buys these bikes to drive the speed limit? :rolleyes:

#7 ·
Re: Re: off duty police officer on bike killed

MrOrangePants said:
Afternoon NEWS reports said that the motorcycle HIT HIM. The driver didn't realize it (heck he's in a semi) and when he got to his destination someone told him about it, at which time he immediately drove back. Sounds pretty likely to me, after all, like that one cop-based forum said, who buys these bikes to drive the speed limit? :rolleyes:
Indeed, yesterday, the news made it sound like the truck driver hit the biker and sped off. They've changed their tune today. Last I heard, the bike hit the back of the truck, but the driver never felt a thing. When he got to his destination, he looked and saw some damage to the trailer and turned himself in. Unless the truck driver wrecklessly cut off the group of bikers, I don't think he did anything wrong.

Also, from the pics on the news last night, it definately looked like the bike had hit something, not the other way around.

-Joe

#9 ·
Aha!
Well, that's the problem we mentioned in that other thread. You often cannot base any judgement from what is printed in the news because the information is often sketchy at the time of the initial event.

I guess I am glad that the trucker did not run into them. Still, it is not a good thing to run into a 80,000 pound semi on a dinky bike.

Perhaps they will get the story right by tonight's news.

However, it is still a bad idea to ride near semi's. A cast off retread will kill a biker.

#10 ·
glad to hear the story is getting corrected. I saw this on the news last night and was kind of wondering how a semi truck runs into 3 motorcycles... esp on 96 where I doubt a trucker could do more than 80 without rolling his rig.

Anyway, rip fallen rider.

#11 ·
fasterbusa said:
However, it is still a bad idea to ride near semi's. A cast off retread will kill a biker.
Had that scare once. I was on the loop in the wee hours of the morning. The road was deserted and I was about 30' behind the truck when he started shredding rubber. Luckily for me, its a 3 lane road (each way) and there was no one else one there, so I had three lanes to weave my way out of trouble. Pretty exciting non the less, especially since it was several large pieces flying in different direction requiring multiple dodges to get around.

Sorry for the offtopic. watch out for trucks.

#12 ·
fasterbusa said:
Aha!
Well, that's the problem we mentioned in that other thread. You often cannot base any judgement from what is printed in the news because the information is often sketchy at the time of the initial event.

I guess I am glad that the trucker did not run into them. Still, it is not a good thing to run into a 80,000 pound semi on a dinky bike.

Perhaps they will get the story right by tonight's news.

Well put.:)

#13 ·
The reason that I mentioned not riding near large trucks was because of an incident that happened on 696, down in the lower sections.
I was in the car in the far left lane. A semi was in the far right lane. Only 1 car was near him, in the second to the left lane.

His rig blew a retread. The tire came off the wheel like a donut. It shot across 4 lanes of traffic and smacked into the low divider wall where it left a great big rubber "O" imprint on the wall.

Cars were panic braking all over the place. Had I been on a bike, I probably would have been hit by the breaking cars. The truck just kept on going.

But a bike would never have survived had that rubber donut hit him.

So I do my best not to ride next to trucks.

#14 ·
They just said on the news he had just got the Kawasaki 3months ago. Sounds like he was part of a pretty close knit family but he didn't tell anyone he had a bike for fear they'd worry about him.

He was in the back of a pack of 4 riders. The other riders didn't know what happened to him.
21 years as a Detroit policeman.
He was due to be married later this summer. :(

RIP

mb.

#21 · (Edited)
I wasn't sure. I was just wondering cause anytime there's a motorcycle accident around here they always mention wether the riders were wearing helmets or not. Even when they get hit by lightning. Motorcycle crashes seem to be in the news alot lately.

I didn't want to come across the wrong way. I was just currious.

Again, RIP fallen rider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.