Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOW IM NOT TALKING ABOUT RACING BUT HAS ANYONE EVER NOT BEEN IN A MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT, AND IF SO HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN RIDIN'? :crying: :confused: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
ever NOT been in an accident????

Lol! Sure is quiet ??? :rolleyes: :D

Twice for me :(

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
p.s. this is a good thread for Daily Rider. Im gonna move it there...

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
I've been in about 20 or so accidents (both on the street and track) and have been riding for about 30 years. But I also know people who have ridden for 50+ years with no accidents. (My Father) I don't think you can really get a set of "odds" on if you will be in an accident or not as it depeneds on too many different factors.

·
Registered
60 Posts
"Motorcycle safety" is an oxymoron. These things ain't safe and you will find gravity is very dependable. I've been riding since 1968 in all types of riding from ice racing to Gold Wing stuff. Fall down go boom quite a few times. Always got up to do it again. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I think I made it 3 months before my first crash back in 92. It was a pretty good one too. Parked it under the Armco. Lesson in look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go.

It all depends on how hard you want to ride too. I wanted to ride hard and learn the limits (still do). I go down periodically. If you want to ride for safe transportation you can go 80 years without an accident.

·
Registered
254 Posts
That's true Apex....the harder you ride, the more your odds go up for wadding.

I don't even know anymore how many times I've crashed...varying severity. From lowside...get back on and ride, to highside...get in meatwagon and go visit the nurses. I even hit a car once (on the street, of course). I had one bike (RD350) that I must have crashed 15 times.

·
Registered
68 Posts
aw sh!t. now after this post im probablygonna end up tossing my bike away with in a week. I have yet to lay my bike down. I been riding for 17 years all without one wreck.... Numerouse close calls, but bike never went down.

Mike

·
Registered
463 Posts
Apex hit it on the nose. If your street time is purely transportation, and you are reasonably alert, you could have the same odds as a cage driver. You just usually get hurt worse, proportionally, when it does happen, cuz you got no big car around you taking the punshment.

HOWEVER, the more pleasure via performance you try to squeeze out of your machine, the closer to the edge of the envelope you get, and the worse your odds get. I only made it 4.5 months :crying: but it had zero to do with transportation. ;)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Have to agree with Joss and Apex. My highside last Oct. was due to backroad blitzing and passing my limits. Another area worth mentioning is alcohol. Your chances of a get off go WAAAAY UP when intoxicated. (Trust Me)! I haven't drank in about 15 years but there was a time when a median just jumped right out in front of me. End over end was the result. No fun:crying: Riding drunk has got to be one of the most dangerous thing you can do on a bike.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've never been in an accident in 20 years of riding...tho I've come close a few times. I bought my first street bike when I was a junior in high school...never NOT owned a bike since then. I do all types or riding: commuting, sport-touring, scratching, insane speed runs, etc. I've owned 9 bikes, 7 of them were/are sportbikes or naked sportbikes.

Believe it or not there ARE riders that go their entire riding career without crashing...and I hope I make it. (knocks on wood for additional luck)

·
Registered
463 Posts
UFO: "(knocks on wood for additional luck)"

Now you gotta go over to the "Superstitious Routines" thread and confess. :p

·
Registered
312 Posts
Oh yeah, I should mention that I aspire to become a track whore in the next year or two now that I have the time and means to do it. And I fully expect to pitch it down the tarmack then. Track crashes don't count IMO. :p

·
Registered
577 Posts
I crashed in 1987 and totaled the bike I was riding, wasn't seriously injured. Crashed again on the Bandit in 1999. Bike got scuffed up a little. I wasn't hurt, well not physically anyway.:eek:

·
Registered
255 Posts
I went down going around a corner on my first bike but I still don't know why. I blame it on an old rear tire that wasn't warmed up properly but who knows:confused: The road looked clean but I guess there could have been some oil that I didn't see. This is now my 4'th year and third bike and I have put on quite a few miles so far and I really don't want to wreck my new bike.
Sh!t happens sometimes..... it's a calculated risk ...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Totaled 2 of 2 so far.........

Got rearended by a blue hair doing a routine right hand turn, $8000 damage to a (Then) $4500 Katana. Did about $10,000 damage to me:mad: . Waited about a year for the screws in my ankle to stop hurting and got the Zx6, layed it down about 3 weeks ago because of a damn pepsi bottle and found a curb soon after the head shake from the pepsi bottle, only doing maybe 15mph and insurance is going to total it, $3,400 damage. Mostly cosmetic except for forks and rim. At least I didn't get any broken bones from this one! But DAAYYUUM does that road rash hurt!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts