Sportbike World banner

octane rating of your gas?

2K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  FZR400Tony 
#1 ·
What kind of gas do you all put in your personal jets? I've been using 93.5.

#4 ·
I am running straight NOS and it is the shit yo!!!

No, really I run either 87 or 89, I was told by my mechanic that all it really needs is 87.

#11 ·
Re: 93 octane?

badchad said:

Here in AZ, the best available is 91 for about $1.60 a gallon (Aug 14 '02)... how much does 93 run per gallon out in FL?
At the Shell station where I get most of my gas it is currently $1.61 per gallon. The county I live in recently passed an extra gas tax, so it is a bit cheaper in some of the surrounding counties.

#12 · (Edited)
93 octane plus octane boost.:twofinger

93 octane is about the same 1.65 depending on where you choose to go. I like to go to Mobil or Exxon....not them crappy gas stations. I heard that somewhere in florida a gas station was putting water in there systems. Owner must have a vehicle that runs with H2O. Dumb idiots probably was one of them discounted gas stations.

:finger:

#14 ·
Dale Whelan said:
High octane burns slower, it's like retarding your timing, my street bikes run 87, my race bike will die if I don't run 110 octane
never ever heard that before, that it'll mess up your timing i mean, you sure about that? with 93.5 as far as i can tell bike runs just fine, never noticed a decrease in intelligence of the timing, as i would think it would affect the power and i would notice

#15 ·
ferracci69 said:
93 octane plus octane boost.:twofinger

93 octane is about the same 1.65 depending on where you choose to go. I like to go to Mobil or Exxon....not them crappy gas stations. I heard that somewhere in florida a gas station was putting water in there systems. Owner must have a vehicle that runs with H2O. Dumb idiots probably was one of them discounted gas stations.

:finger:
One of the salesmen where I work got a tank of water in his Mustang from a Texaco station awhile back. It was about 400 bucks to get things straightened out. The company finally paid for it, but they fought it for awhile.

#16 ·
Octane doesn't change your timing, it has the same effect as changing you timing. The fact is 1/2 the people can't feel a 10% difference in performance and we are talking in the 2% range( that # is a guess, but it is not a wild guess. I have a Dyno at work and have spent lots of time testing things, fuel is just one of those things.

#17 ·
yo i ran my baby out of gas other night had to push her 2 miles!

i run 93 and put 4.823 gallons in her 4.8 gallon tank

my car only needs 87 cuz the stickers increase the power enough right?? ;)

#18 ·
The GOOD stuff baby!~!~!~!

I use 94 octane fuel. cost is 84.9 cents per litre here in B.C. canada. it costs a whole 12-14 bucks to fill up the 20 litre tank.
conversions= 4 litres per U.S. gallon.
tank is 5 gal on my bike. so there! :D :twofinger :D yes i know fuel costs more here but it sure beats walkin.

#19 ·
yo my bike is smaller - and faster

you know the only person to stop while i pushed my babe to the gas station was a guy on a blue r6

cagers and hardly ableson riders passed without care

#20 ·
yo?

yer bike may be smaller unior, and in the RIGHT hands it may be faster (especially if it has fuel). i have passed 6r's and r6's and even a 750 gsxr on the outside lane of many corners. in any engine size, (grouped in cc classes)it isnt how much hp u have its how much skill the rider has. without skill power is NOTHING!

it may be a sport tourer but its an azzkikr!

#21 ·
yes you are very right - i know guys who would never ride anything bigger than a 600 because of weight and handling etc.

but you know you want an aluminum frame dont ya! ;)

i should shut up now it was a mere 3 months ago that i was riding a honda nighthawk 250cc :barf:

#22 ·
I ran 87 octane in my 250R
run 87 or (89 ocassionally) in my 6R
and run 87 in my turbocharged car.

All of them ask for 90 or better. Never had a problem except when I filled my car with 91 octane it ran like shit. Ran the tank out filled it back up with 87 and it was purring like a kitten again.

:KatanaSpeed:

won't be passing my 6R :)
gas 70 cent per liter (where I live) and it was 44 cent per liter in Camrose Alberta :confused:

#23 ·
There's no more potential energy in higher octane fuel as opposed to low octane. For the majority of engines, you want see any difference. High octane does have the ability to be compressed more without preingniting (pre detonation) or "pinging". Unless your motors pinging, just run 87.

#24 ·
Dale Whelan said:
High octane burns slower, it's like retarding your timing, my street bikes run 87, my race bike will die if I don't run 110 octane

It's around 100 out here everyday, so when Im forced to ride in the heat of the day I start to detonate. I have 13 to 1 compression and Im running 93 super unleaded. Can I use AvGas or race fuel? I heard that the lead in it will gum up my valves and shit.

#25 ·
I can't speak for AvGas, but VP race fuel works great and will actually clean-up carbon fouling, if there is any. If you're in consistant high temp weather, you might want to slightly retard your timing to minimize detonation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.