Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a lot of misconceptions/prejudice on this board towards Ducati owners. In an effort to dispel the rumors I would like to give you some of my observations on all of the Ducatisti I have met so far. (50 or 60 people.) They seem to share a few qualities with each other.

1. They value interesting and beautiful design over the opinions of magazine editors.

2. They have either a lot of mechanical skill or a lot of $$$. The bikes are easy to work on and fairly cheap to maintain, if you know what you are doing. If you don't you can fork over a lot of cash to someone who does.

3. They are more or less in love with their bike. These bikes have a level of devotion and loyalty that you don't see to any other brand of sportbike.

4. Old bikes with high mileage are just as loved as the latest and greatest due to the fact that the owners have had more time in the saddle with them.

5. Almost all of them have been through several other brands of bike before buying a Ducati.

6. The rare people who buy Ducatis as first bikes are the least likely to keep them for the long term. It's almost like you don't gain an appreciation for what they have to offer until you've lived with the alternatives for a while.

It's not that we as Ducatista aren't impressed with the speed and power of supposedly superior Japanese bikes, we are. We just don't really care (or care to own them.)

For me it has been an absolute joy to finally find a bike that suits me. I don't care if other bikes are faster in magazines, my Ducati has phenomenal handling which gives me confidence and makes me a faster rider.

:)

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I'd also like to add that the newly organized "Cult of Apriliaista" will be having its first annual "Virgin Sacrifice and Bar-B-Q Cookout" this weekend. Of course all Italian bike owners or enthusiasts are invited. Proceeds, which are tax-deductable, go to the "I hate rice burners" fund. Thank you- :eek: ;) :p :D

·
Registered
289 Posts
Well...

For the most part...he's right. I've owned 2 Hondas, 2 Kawasakis, 1 Suzuki and no Yamaha's (maybe if they came out with a twin) and nothing so far gives me the excitement that the 748 does. My TL1000R came close but there was always soemthing missing...great suspension and handling.

In a little bit of twist to what "lucifer" is saying....for me, it's not that I'm a Ducati only fan but rather a "TWIN" fan. And for me, I've wanted a Ducati since I was 15 years old so when I had the chance to get one I jumped on it. I'm just about a fan of all Twins: The Ducati, RSV, RC51, TLR/S and the SV. I like'em all but I would take my 748 over any inline4 on any day of the week. That's just me I guess....I'm a fan of TWINS :D

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Re: Well...

HUS said:
I had the chance to get one I jumped on it. I'm just about a fan of all Twins: That's just me I guess....I'm a fan of TWINS :D
Me too. Triplets are even better. ;)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Birdman,
You know the difference between a Ducatisti and a Hog?
The first one can ride a motorcycle:D

Stake,
I'll be there for the sacrifice. I'll bring eye of newt and some pickled beets.

HUS: you make #61 and fit my demographic pretty well. I love twins too and Ducati is still the best twin.

Don't believe it, just count the victories...

·
Registered
296 Posts
lucifer said:
I have noticed a lot of misconceptions/prejudice on this board towards Ducati owners...For me it has been an absolute joy to finally find a bike that suits me. I don't care if other bikes are faster in magazines...:)
I don't mean to flatter myself, but does this have anything to do w/ me raggin' you in the "Smackdown" thread?.....:D

·
Registered
766 Posts
lucifer said:
Birdman,
You know the difference between a Ducatisti and a Hog?
The first one can ride a motorcycle:D

LOL! That reminds me, I was at a buddy's house and he had some other friends there also, one of which was riding a harley. After a few beers I began to feel particularly philisophical and proceeded to explain to him my theory of why Harley riders don't wave to other motorcyclists. The theory is centered around the fact that Harley's are not motorcycles to begin with....(I think I read a similar post on this board a long time ago) Anyway, I don't think he like me very much.:D

·
Registered
766 Posts
748 abuser said:

That's funny, James, we don't either!:D:p
Wow....(as I shed a tear)....I finally made it. This must be my right of passage. First I'd like to thank the academy.......:p

PS - You promised me when you took that picture that you wouldn't put it on the internet. You bastard!!:D I feel so dirty.....:( :eek:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
lucifer said:
It's not that we as Ducatista aren't impressed with the speed and power of supposedly superior Japanese bikes, we are. We just don't really care (or care to own them.)

For me it has been an absolute joy to finally find a bike that suits me. I don't care if other bikes are faster in magazines, my Ducati has phenomenal handling which gives me confidence and makes me a faster rider.
Lucifer. It's as if the Italians have discovered how to install a soul into a machine.

As for the REST OF YOU...... the same could be said about honda riders, yamaha riders, suzuki riders etc. Each have their own qualities that endear them to their owners. The thing with Ducatis is that (so far) they are built by people that don't look to marketing experts for advice on how to build their bikes. They build them the way they feel they should be built. Whether or not millions of people will want to buy one is irrelevant to them. This was proven about 10 years ago when they went out of business.

Yes, that sounds like harley, too. But Ducati made their comeback due to advanced and unique technology, not...fashion.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts