Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright So I'm riding home from work today... and she's not idling. :crying: My bike normally idles around 1 1/2 - 2 RPMs when the chokes not on. What do ya'll think? =( If I get the chance tomorrow I'll probably take her in but if it's something simple I'd like to not waste my time ya know?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I had the same problem with my ninja at first. It turned out that one of the spark plugs wasn't firing. Then to add to it there was a vaccum leak around the carbs. I would take a look at the rubber boots around the carbs to see if there's an obvious leak.

·
Registered
295 Posts
MeiJin said:
Alright So I'm riding home from work today... and she's not idling. :crying: My bike normally idles around 1 1/2 - 2 RPMs when the chokes not on. What do ya'll think? =( If I get the chance tomorrow I'll probably take her in but if it's something simple I'd like to not waste my time ya know?
wow 1.5 -2 rpms

snickers

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
mike_drz said:
I had the same problem with my ninja at first. It turned out that one of the spark plugs wasn't firing. Then to add to it there was a vaccum leak around the carbs. I would take a look at the rubber boots around the carbs to see if there's an obvious leak.
Vacuum leaks used to be the culprits for my first ride, so the boots are a great starting point. Anything special or unusual happen recently?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Is it just me or does 1 1/2-2 seem rather high? I'm idling at 1.25 and I'm about to lower it.

I agree, check you plugs. When my plugs were fowling, due to a bad fuel/air mix, the idle was way off.

Sepias

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was riding home and at every stop light the bike would stall (And yes I made sure the clutch was pulled in!!!!) I was on my way out and noticed that she's leaking what I want to say is gas. The boys are coming over tomorrow to look at it... and if anything I'll just trailer :mad: it to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Sounds like the vaccume lines since its leaking gas. Pull off your tank and take a look. If its your lines its a simple fix, but if you can get "the boys" to do it for free then let em:D

Sepias

·
Registered
135 Posts
yea could also be a clog in the fuel system, so it's not getting a constant feed of gas, before you spend your spend a small fortune for the dealer i'd get one of your friends who's mechanicially inclined to take a look at it. These bikes are pretty easy to work on. Most of the time it's a pretty easy fix that'd only cost small change in parts, like leaky gas hoses or a fuel filter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts