Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I'm afraid it's true.

I received notice yesterday afternoon that after 30+ years of responsible riding, a very dear friend and fellow sportbiker has passed away.

Dressed in full gear as always, doing 70 in a 70, on a 4 lane highway, a car pulled out in front him. He hit the back brakes to stop, the back tire slid, which put him directly into the side of a passing van in the other lane. The bike, after bouncing off the van, went upright, the other direction, and highsided, sending him over the handlebars, his bike landing on him directly afterward.

Injuries incurred: 1 broken arm, 1 broken wrist, 2 broken vertebrae, brain damage (swelling), and 2 collapsed lungs. Finally after 2 weeks of postponed surgeries due to neurolgical, cardiac and pulmonary problems, and continual life support, he died of heart failure early yesterday morning.

I can't tell you how sad this makes me. I had to share this, because even though he lived in an area where bikes are out year-round, it's just now spring for most of the rest of us. After the winter, cagers aren't used to bikes being around yet (like they ever will be), and aren't paying attention. Please, people, be careful out there.

His favorite speech to me was to "ride like every cager is out to kill you". It's so true. However, I don't think he saw this one coming.:(

May his family heal quickly, and he rest in peace.

·
Registered
866 Posts
first let me say I'm very sorry about your friend, and please send all of our wishes to the family. as far as the cagers go they are developing new technologies to help us out, mercedes, bmw, and I think audi are starting to put systems in there cars for the cruise control to sense where the other cars around you are, mostly in front to slow or speed you up, with in a few years they will be able to sense when they are coming to close to an other vehicle during a lane change and ring a buzzer, or even correct the steering to aviod hitting.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
So be life, but that is how life comes & goes. His outlook on riding was correct, but one cought him --- it is ALWAYS a gamble out there. Hard to accept.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The longest track

Where he is now, he can ride all day without fatigue or danger...

Life is as immortal as He who gives it....much love to his family..........

·
Registered
254 Posts
I always hate to hear about this sort of thing....it happens way too often. We have lost another brother. There already aren't enough of us...we don't need to lose any more.

Godspeed brother, and may you rest in peace. My condolences and best wished to the family and friends.

And the rest of you...BE CAREFUL! We don't want to lose any of our little "extended family" here.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm so sorry Cindi. My condolences to you and his family. It's been said before, but I agree... It's such a shame to loose a brother, and our family is already too small... Best wishes to you and his family.
Laura

·
Registered
176 Posts
My deepest sympathy

Its difficult to hear about a fellow rider go out like that, regardless if you know him/her or not.
R.I.P.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts