Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me say that, while I appreciate some of the care and detail Harley owners put into their bikes, making a bike slower and heavier on purpose does not appeal to me.

O.K. Now, with that out of the way, here is my concern. I'm noticing that Ducati, like Harley seems to be attracting alot of "wannabe's" in the form of merchandising of toys, clothing, and attempts to patent the sound of their exhaust.(Cycle World, Nov.)

I have lots of Ducati toys, personally, and I spend alot of time these days dreaming, and learning about all things Ducati. I will not, however wear a Ducati T-shirt with a full color 996 on it unless I actually own the bike. That's just the kind of guy I am.

I wonder if Ducati's current marketing is seen as "effective merchandising" by those of you who are fortunate enough to actually own a Ducati? Or is it possibly making an exclusive motorcycle manufacturer into a mainstream mockery of its former self?

Me? I'd buy a 916/996 if it was made by Hyundai! It is the most beautiful mode of transportation short of some of the race cars from the '60s. (Ford GT-40, Ferrari GTO, AC Cobra, Lamborghini Mura, etc.)

What do YOU think?

------------------
I WILL have a Ducati!

·
Registered
440 Posts
When my wife bought her Monster 750 I gave her the only piece of Ducati clothing I owned - a Fast by Ferraci tee shirt one of their employees sent me for answering a simple printer question when I worked for Apple Computer's tech support.

Now she has a model Monster for her cubicle. That's it as far as Ducati paraphernalia. I don't want no stinkin' tee shirts unless they're free.

------------------
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson

·
Registered
167 Posts
I admire Ducatis but don't own one. Maybe some day. I've followed the company's fortunes since its bailout by Texas Pacific Group and its recent experience as a publicly traded company on the stock market. I would look at it this way. Ducati is significantly strengthening itself as a company by selling jackets, t-shirts, accessories, etc., and creating an image that goes beyond just manufacturing bikes.

Would I personally buy a 996 t-shirt if I didn't own the bike? No.

Would I spend money on a cool Ducati jacket before spending money on a cool Ducati motorcycle? No, my priority would be the bike, not the style statement.

If I were a die-hard Ducati-lover would I be glad the company was selling all those jackets and t-shirts, even to posers who have never been on a bike, to help ensure that they'll keep on cranking out quality bikes? You bet I would. Small price to pay, really.

JMHO.

------------------

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Its good others wear them. Flattering to me that others desire what I have, a duc, even if they want the upper models. It is also free advertising for ducati which is good for the company but I don't do that with any brand of anything if possible. Just don't believe paying to be free advertising for a company. Sounds stupid but... Like bug said I don't need it unless it is free.
But I would/do pay for bike shirts that just have overall motorcycle related statements.

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!

·
Registered
86 Posts
"Advertising" via a tshort bothers some people. I have good friends that simply refuse to wear anything that has ANY logo. Doesn't bother me. Actually, ALL my tshirts have some company logo on them, even if it's Gap or Old Navy (even though I don't care for thier clothes).

Anyway, as for Ducati stuff goes, I have a few Ducati tshirts, but only wear them on rides or track days under my leathers. The backs have the logo of my bikeshop and I am happy to advertise for them cause they are good people (and they cut me some breaks on things). I have never worn one in "public" (like to work, or shopping, or a movie). I personally don't care to, but I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm rambling again....

Point is (is there a point?) that you asked if anyone buys this stuff. I do. I actually wanted to get a Ducati riding jacket and Ducati leathers. Unfortunately, lead time was on the order of months and I didn't want to wait, so I got the same (or similar) jacket and leathers from Dainese. I also have a model of my 900SS on my desk at home. I wanted to take it to work, but my wife won't let me :)

------------------
- Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts