Sportbike World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an '02 VFR800, rides great so far, even if I do have to keep it below 6k rpm for a few more days. :)

I have seen the pictures online at Honda and have been reading the manual, it mentions about removing the handles mounted on the back. The pic below shows how mine was delivered to me. The Honda site shows the back seat covered, should I have got that, or do I have to buy it as an extra?

Click here for a much bigger picture.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. I'm interested to know how it rides once you're beyond the break-in period. Can you feel the 7,000 rpm kick in of the VTEC?

Anyway, the picture you saw had a rear seat cowling, which would not have been included with the new bike purchase unless you haggled for it when you bought the bike. You can get one at the the dealer or shop for an aftermarket one. You can also check out e-bay and VFR sites (like www.hondavfr.com) for used ones. They make the bike look very sharp. If you plan on doing a lot of two-up riding I wouldn't bother with one. And yes, you would have to remove the grab bars to put the cowling on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hmmm

Funny, my 02VFR came with the cowling. Also, the cowling will fit with the grab bars in place, it just looks a heck of a lot cleaner w/o them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
All 02 VFR's come with the cowling and two beauty panels to place in the holes left by the handles. Go back to your dealer and get them. They are part of what you purchased. We've bought three (2 friends and I) from our local dealer and we got them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Seat Cowl

I agree with vfroger your bike should have come with the seat cowl and the little red panels to put in place when you remove the handles. Also I like the look of the rear passenger foot pegs removed. It only take 10 min there are two allen head screws holding on each side.
Try this link for a picture of rear pegs removed
http://www.sport-touring.net/bikes/ufo_vfr/vfr_01.jpg

It is from anothe site I belong to
http://www.sport-touring.net/

it is a great site for sport touring info and stories.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I'll ask them where the bits are then. Thought it was funny as when I had my last bike ('99 Daytona) it came with the cowling.

Anyone know what the speedo accuracy is like?
I was on I-15, the road to Vegas today, near Barstow, mine read 85mph, but it seemed like everyone was passing me. :) I'll have to get a friend to check my speed with his car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup I did, they're ok I guess. I found out lacycles is $500 cheaper though after the fact, but they're miles away.

·
Registered
23 Posts
re:speedo accuracy

Hey, if you check your speedo accuracy post the results would you? My buddy got a '02 VFR a little after I got my CBR and we noticed that while we we both thought we were going the same speed according to the speedoes, we would be off by a few mph in practice. Not more then 2 or 3 but noticable.
-Jason

1 - 9 of 9 Posts