Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im another noob on here and i have some questions. im 17 and i want to get a sportbike, something like a used r6 or cbr, deff a 600. ive been riding dirt bikes for awhile so i know how to use a clutch and everything. i was wondering if the fact that i have ridden dirt bikes is going to help me be able to ride a 600 at all, or if everyone still thinks ill fall? is the power still to much? any input thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
645 Posts
the best thing to do is KNOW your going to drop the bike... get in this frame of mind and you'll stay humble and alert... and when you do drop it... and the odds are you will it won't be such a big hit to your pride... also if you go into buy'n the bike with that atitude you'll get something you don't mind droping (read used) and that your not gonna get into too much trouble with... as for a 600... I tend to recommend the suzy Sv650 or it's bro the sv650s they're naked bikes... the latter has a half fairing... throw on a lower fairing on the s and you have a SWEET looking bike IMO... but the nice thing about the SV is that it's a V Twin that means you'll have the torque sooner in the powerband where you need it more... anywhoo... here's a pic of an sv650s...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
Schnauzer said:
im another noob on here and i have some questions. im 17 and i want to get a sportbike, something like a used r6 or cbr, deff a 600. ive been riding dirt bikes for awhile so i know how to use a clutch and everything. i was wondering if the fact that i have ridden dirt bikes is going to help me be able to ride a 600 at all, or if everyone still thinks ill fall? is the power still to much? any input thanks.
I don't know how much riding dirtbikes will help you, but I got an older 600 as my first bike with no prior experience (besides MSF class). I'm sure you'll fall, in the few months I've been riding I've gone down twice. Once at the first stop sign I encountered, and the second time coming out of the first turn in an S turn too hot and laid the bike down on grass at 30mph. With a new, more powerful bike though, the danger is much greater and the consequences more severe.

And as for the people who say that you should get a used bike so you won't be as pissed when you go down..well they're full of :bs:.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,820 Posts
Re: Re: Noob with a question here

Unas_the_Slayer said:
And as for the people who say that you should get a used bike so you won't be as pissed when you go down..well they're full of :bs:.
It means that if you drop the bike because of your own mistake, the pain is much more bearable if the bike was worth $3K than $8K. For the fairings alone on a new bike is about $2K. Parts for the older bikes are much cheaper if you know where to look.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Noob with a question here

Z_Fanatic said:
It means that if you drop the bike because of your own mistake, the pain is much more bearable if the bike was worth $3K than $8K. For the fairings alone on a new bike is about $2K. Parts for the older bikes are much cheaper if you know where to look.
It still hurts pretty bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,173 Posts
Re: Re: Noob with a question here

Unas_the_Slayer said:
And as for the people who say that you should get a used bike so you won't be as pissed when you go down..well they're full of :bs:.
I lowsided my first sportbike twice within about two weeks.

Didn't really bother me, because it was worth about 2600 bucks.:2cents:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Noob with a question here

sidewaysducati said:
I lowsided my first sportbike twice within about two weeks.

Didn't really bother me, because it was worth about 2600 bucks.:2cents:
Maybe I'm just overprotective/loving. :dunno: :cussing;
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,400 Posts
We are always left wondering when someone comes on young, like yourself, wanting a sportbike & saying "--been riding dirt bikes for awhile --".

That could be occasionally in have a few short bits of fun with a frieinds bike or possibly an intensive rider in dirt thought not in competition.

You have the advantage of knowing how to use the clutch, gear change lever, along with balance. Brakes will not jive for as a competitive dirt bike rider for 42 yrs I knew all the time I was heavy on the rear brake. FORTUNATELY for me I was riding street/hwy at the same time.

So I would say line up a time you can take the MSF course, for while some will be familiar, some will NOT.

Also for your first bike I would aim at a 500cc vertical twin & you will find they are offered by both Suzy & Kwacker.

With one of the above you should get along well so that come next season you can go for your first sportbike & if you keep the 500 in good shape it will sell to other beginners at a decent price.

Remember either bike has a good regular riding position, good mid-range power-plant so not to peaky, decent brakes & suspension system. Then have enough go in them to be faster when the light turns green then most cages & can scoot you up to 100mph.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Smitty said:
We are always left wondering when someone comes on young, like yourself, wanting a sportbike & saying "--been riding dirt bikes for awhile --".
ive been riding dirt for years, not sure how many. 6 or so, and last year i started riding trails. so not just once in awhile.

thanks for the advice everyone, ive seen the msf thing mentioned alot, what exactly is that?

ill look into the bikes and everything mentioned. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
645 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Noob with a question here

Unas_the_Slayer said:
Maybe I'm just overprotective/loving. :dunno: :cussing;
I understand what your say'n... I'd be pritty pissed if I dropped an 8 year old bike.... the thing is... you buy used it's probably not gonna be scratch or dent free... so adding some doesn't hurt as bad... and well parts are cheeper... so mostly your dealing with your pride...and probably would take ya a week to get over... but with a brand new bike... making that first dent... well... every time you see it.... it's gonna bum ya out... as well as the fact that parts are more expensive...

see what I'm getting at?:dunno:

just my :2cents:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Noob with a question here

Ebbs15 said:
I understand what your say'n... I'd be pritty pissed if I dropped an 8 year old bike.... the thing is... you buy used it's probably not gonna be scratch or dent free... so adding some doesn't hurt as bad... and well parts are cheeper... so mostly your dealing with your pride...and probably would take ya a week to get over... but with a brand new bike... making that first dent... well... every time you see it.... it's gonna bum ya out... as well as the fact that parts are more expensive...

see what I'm getting at?:dunno:

just my :2cents:
Yea don't worry I see your point. My bike only had 5k miles on it when I bought it though, so it was in near mint condition.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top