Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah i hit a wrong button and deleted my whole thread yeah call me stupid but to answer a question that i read i though a gsxr 1000 was a stupid idea because there to damn fast for my skill lvl......and i lil more information about me im going to college for my associates in automotive and i have been around car and trucks most of my life. NOT bikes on the other hand thats why i have come here...so that some of the questions i might have could be answered and learn some ways not to kill my self ....question tho are you sure that a 600 is to big or should i just stick with my buddies little honda or buy a 500-1000 dollar bike :D my friend who has been riding his whole life who is now 35 says that a 600 would be ok to start on as long as its a used one that has some scratches already :p...

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
A 600 would be fine... as long as it is NOT a race rep (Supersport).

Damn, there was a shit load of info in that other thread, too.

I don't feel like typing any of it out again, so I'll tell you what.

Go here...

http://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66796

Read carefully, and try to be as absolutely nothing like him as possible.

K? K. :thumbs2:

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Ok, here goes. Spicersh (or other mods) is there any way we can sticky the thread ZX linked to (charlie500) as an example of how not to introduce yourself?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Ok, here goes. Spicersh (or other mods) is there any way we can sticky the thread ZX linked to (charlie500) as an example of how not to introduce yourself?

+1. Maybe even merge it with Herryde's thread. They are complete opposites, so it would make a good Do/Don't thread.

I'll even take the time to quote everything and type the "do" and "dont", then put it in a new thread, if we could get it stickied.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah my bad i did read alittle bit of it tho...oh yeah i read that one that guys kinda stupid to me wanting to beat some (red light to redlight contenders) thats my opinion tho i want to cruise have fun and be more informed and i have looked around already i have found MSF course in 3 places and found one that is completley free but i may take all 3 :D...and im not to on top of the gear stuff theres hardly ne one around here that u even see were a helmet sense there is no mandatory helmet law here but if i get a bike im going to were a helmet every where...and nething else that will be good to wear...

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Personally, I don't believe ANY 600 is a good starter bike, supersport or not.

A 500 is more than enough bike for a noob.
I can't say that, because I started on a 600 ('92 CBR F2). But if you're looking for something within the last 10 years, definitely a 500 or lower.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
yeah my bad i did read alittle bit of it tho...oh yeah i read that one that guys kinda stupid to me wanting to beat some (red light to redlight contenders) thats my opinion tho i want to cruise have fun and be more informed and i have looked around already i have found MSF course in 3 places and found one that is completley free but i may take all 3 :D...and im not to on top of the gear stuff theres hardly ne one around here that u even see were a helmet sense there is no mandatory helmet law here but if i get a bike im going to were a helmet every where...and nething else that will be good to wear...
Helmet law or not, wear one. Also a jacket, boots, gloves and riding pants.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes i know thats why im gonna were a helmet every where i go theres few bike shops around here that i can go and try out gear but...im not sure what im looking for i know a helmet should be DOT and SNELL approved i think i got that right... and i have been reading about jackets and pants with armor what do u mean is it like lined with abs plastic or somethn...

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
They usually have CE armor (basically foam padding) in the knees, shins, and thighs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so the best thing to do is just go and try a bunch on ...i have read a few things say that u dont want lose but dont want tight..which in my mind means that i need to take out a day and go try on all sorts of types and brands... :D

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
You want it to fit snug, but keep in mind that if you want to get the most out of your bike, you're going to be constantly shifting around on it, so the gear needs to move with you. Basically you want it as tight as can be without being restrictive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok cool thx ill keep that in mind....ok chain wax or chain oil i use chain wax on my 4 wheeler is there ne specific chain wax or chain oil i should use on the chain..

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
This can turn into a holy war, but I'll tell you what I do.

I spray some WD-40 on a rag, and wipe off the sides of my chain till they are clean and shiny, then I use Bel-Ray lube (has the consistency of wax) to lube the chain. But you'll find what works for you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
awsome ill keep that in mind and ill also try some others when i get my bike my be a lil while before i get it but i dont want to head first with out a helmet so to speak.. thanks guys you guys have been a big help so far if i need ne thing else answered when my purchasing day gets close i will ask...piece

1 - 17 of 17 Posts