Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have saved about 4gs for a down payment for my first bike .. i do alot of longer driving up to 3 hrs weekly ..the one i found that i like so far is the new 2008 suzuki gsx-600f but then again idk .. it will be brand new and the people at the dealer really talked it up .. said that the bike has higher bars so its more comphy but then again it has all the power compared to a gsxr 750?? lol i konw thats what i said .. no way it compare to a 750 lol .. but anyways make some sugggestions .. noting under a 600 .. another thought was the honda cbr 600fi but let me konw

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think since you are new to bikes that you should find a 1000cc bike. Don't matter if it's a Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, or whatever. But the GSXR1000 is a nice bike for a newbie.

We need a few less people in Ohio anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Why would you want to buy brand new for your first bike?

Why not get a used one so that WHEN you drop it or lay it down you didn't just scrape off $1000 or so off its value?

And if you end up buying it and finding out that kinda bike isn't really for you and resell it after one or two seasons you are going to eat a huge loss. Even more so cause it will have been dropped a few times, more likely than not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the thing about that is .. used bikes run for about the same as the new one .. the gsx650f is only 6999 new and a used cbr is around the same .. if you can find another bike for me that is comphy and an older moldel with the power im looking for than let me know .. i really wanted to get a used one but that sales man knew how to twist stuff ya know .. juss doing his job

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and whats the comment "there needs to be less of us in ohio" mean?? insult? i dont get it nash .. but a 1000 for a noob is not someing for me!!

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
The salesman wants to sell you a new bike because he gets more money that way, and he's banking on the fact that when (not if, mind you, but when) you wreck your bike (new or used) you're going to sustain enough injuries that you aren't a candidate for repeat sales.

Seriously, if you get a new bike to start on you are going to regret it. I know a chick that sells bikes at Competition Accessories (only about 40 minutes from the West side of Col's) I'll talk to her today and see what she's got in the used department. In the meantime, pick up a copy of Cycle Trader and start looking for Mid-90's CBR-600 F2/F3's, or basically any year of Ninja 250's or even 500's. The GS500F is a great starter bike, but as you are finding out they are a little too pricey to really attract new riders.

Out of curiousity, how much have you set aside for gear, or have you already bought it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats funny you say that .. i went to compition acessories and the girl is who i talked to .. tammy i think it was .. dont get me wrong they suggested plenty of used ones .. i just want something comfortable for my back.. how foward do you lean for cbr 600's?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I'm pretty sure you are referring to the new Suzuki GSX-650F. Powerwise, at 75 rear wheel horsepower, the bike would be suitable for a new rider. And as you noted, they do have a higher set handlebar and more roomy ergonomics. Really falls into the middleweight sport-tourer niche. At $6999 MSRP, it is also a pretty good buy, being $2000 cheaper than the 600 supersport class. The only downside to the GSX is that is is incredibly heavy for a 650 size bike-525 lbs wet weight. Which makes it a bit more of a challenge for a new rider to handle at low speeds.

Some other bikes in this category include:

The aforetmentioned CBR 600 F2's and F3's.
The Kawasaki Ninja 650R and 500R.
1993-2004 Kawasaki ZX-6E aka ZZR-600. (not the ZX-6R)
Suzuki SV-650
Yamaha YZF-600R. (not the R6)

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Not Tammy, she almost had me talked into buying a CBR600RR until I found the Gixxer for $1500 less...same year, both brand new. Since then I refuse to deal with her. Comp will take you for a ride unless you're tough with them. I kind of know the owner, which helps slightly but not as much as I'd like.

The older CBR's are a little more relaxed. I started on a '92 that had a Corbin Gunslinger seat...very comfy but not condusive to getting off in the turns. My buddy started on an F3 ('95-'96) that was a little more agressive, and handled like a dream in the corners, had tons of grunt for an older bike, yet not so much that a moment's inattention would put you in a ditch or on your back.

Seriously, Cycle Trader or other classifieds (or word of mouth) is the best way to get a used starter bike...who cares if it's scratched, you'll be adding to that. Get a year or 2 under your belt so that when you do get a new 600 you won't make an ass out of yourself by laying it down pulling out of the dealership.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
To someone totally new to the sport/hobby & everyone is suggesting he purchase a 600cc four sportbike. No one give any thought that he might take the MSF Course to learn something about riding?

How about advising him that there are the 500cc horisontal twins by Suzuki or Kawasaki that are less in price, NOT sportbikes nor will they be listed as sportbikes, & in what we call a regular position. Also not with such peaky engines so ideal for someone to LEARN on & still ride for a season or more also if kept in decent condition will resell a bit below one's cost. Tip on these bikes is they have a faster take-off then most cages have at the stop sigh along with they will scoot a rider up to around 90mph without any sweat.

So my advise is to do a few things like check up on when you can get on the MSF Course, for often what one has in mind for the first bike is changed during the three day course or learning how to ride & stay upright to also how to possibly avoid being hit by crazy cage drivers. Second is wander around this & other m/c boards to check up on what one should have in PROTECTIVE riding gear to THEN vist a few m/c shops to try different ones on PLUS noting the cost. Before he is about to by the bIg one is to check on the cost of Insurance for it you borrow on the bike you will be forced to buy FULL COVERAGE and if you have a true sportbike then you will pay far more PLUS if not 25 yrs of age then brother you will be baying through the nose.

So try to give him some decent tips rather then buying a sportbike of 1000cc or 750cc or 600cc, but something sensible for in the first place his first few months will be learning how to stay upright & NOT going on LONG runs which means more milage in the town/city streets.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Not sure what you're getting at smitty, because we were trying to get him to look at bikes that were more beginner-friendly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i dont want a cruiser .. i want a sport bike .. i dont need a fast one i just dont want one like your sugessting .. and as far as teh classes go .. im redgestering with one in bever creek ohio .. gear is taken care of .. i have about $500 set back just for protective gear.. now back to snkshot .. i picked up a motorcycle trader today .. the only problem im probibly going to run into is , what to look for.. say i find a bike im intrested in and i go check it out.. me being a noob i wouldnt know if the shits been ran out of it or if things have been altered that sould remanin stock .. one of the other sales men at compitition acessories told me that if one of the sprockets have been changed than dont buy it kuz that means they rode wheeleis with it and thats hard on an engine?? lol they were really pushing that new bike huh?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I'm pretty sure that somewhere on this forum there's a REALLY informative sticky that covers everything to look for when buying a used bike.

Another possible option is to pay for a pre-purchase inspection. For about $100, you can have a certified mechanic comb over your potential used purchase with a fine toothed comb.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow thanks i didnt know that they did that lol .. sounds good .. and i have decided on the used bike over the new one there CHEAP in this trader and im lovin it

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I still think you are aiming a bit to high. The MSF Course will give you a better idea though you will only be riding 125 to 250cc bikes & not up to top gear with 1/2 revs---all will be done in a small parking lot. After that you will have to get your own bike & PRACTICE like mad. If you have your eyes set of a gleaming looking sportbike, that was originally designed for racing, only you have a street version, what with lights, signal lights, mirrors & such YET still a very peaky engine (remember some will stall continually when you go to start riding for they need the throttle turned up more---since so many are PEAKY engines & have little torque or pull in them. That is the downfall of a sportbike.

If on OTHER m/c boards you will ALSO find many of the experienced riders will be suggesting a more sensible bike as your first step & NOT a sportbike as you have in mind.

I spent a number of years as part owner of several m/c shops, to managing one, to trouble shooting another. So I saw a maze of newbies coming in with damaged bikes, to many of the damaged bikes coming in less the rider as he was at the hospital with minor to serious injuries or later on it was a matter of death.

This was up to '98 so the maze of sportbikes had not become such a flock of bikes for regular riding bikes right up to 350 to 900cc were with regular rideing positions & yes the Cruisers were starting to perk up. Unfortunately a downed sportbike was often a small amount of money to the original owner to be used for PARTS ONLY & go be beyond reason of rebuilding. Paying out around $300.00 to $500.00 for a dinged in Sportbike & after two or three we had lots of good used parts & would buy no more. Of interest on some occasions the father or mother would come to us & plead with us to take the dinged up bike out of their yard. Sometime we would yet 75% of the time we would not since it was not the type of bike we sold or serviced

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
this is all very discouraging .. i just want to have a nice bike i can cruize and still go fast on but every one says its a bad idea ?? i dont get it i know im new with it but buying a bike that so small to "learn" on makes sense but its not practical .. i can have a nice 600 and take it slow suprisingly i dont need to drive fast even if what i have can.. im not a speed nut im a more responsable driver .. this site is reall confusing???????? i just want to ride and be free

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
It may not make sense to you, but do you seriously think that a bunch of people who absolutely love to ride would intentionally try to discourage someone else from getting into it?

The main problem is that the new 600's are so much more capable than you are, so instead of being able to pace yourself and learn the basics comfortably, you'll have your hands full just trying to reign in the bike. On the other hand, with a 500, you still have some grunt that'll get you moving when you want/need to, but it will be so much more forgiving to you until you learn throttle control/cornering/etc.

We also realize that a certain number of people will think we are insane for recommending this route, and will end up buying a brand new 600/1000 or whatever. If you are one of these people, I would highly recommend taking the MSF course before setting foot on your new bike. Then you'll at least have a (very very) slim chance of not dropping the bike.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
How about advising him that there are the 500cc horisontal twins by Suzuki or Kawasaki that are less in price, NOT sportbikes nor will they be listed as sportbikes, & in what we call a regular position.
I didn't bother responding because of this snippet in the OP
heraldj07 said:
not[h]ing under a 600

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
GSX-F? Is that a katana? Please, for god's sake do NOT buy that bike used, much less new. There are very few bad bikes out there, but thats one of them. In reality there is no reason to spend more than 5k on your first bike, and you should be able to get one for 4.
Here is what you are looking for: '98-'03 600, wrecked once or twice. Pay extra to someone who can inspect it for you and make sure nothing is bent out of place, Just get a side worth of road rash, and maybe a small dent in the tank. Dont worry about which brand it is, and dont worry about it looking bad. Learn to ride on it, enjoy it, and dont sweat dropping it once or twice (which you will do).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts