Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK....My rings and head are back on...LOTS of compression...I have power FROM the magneto, as MY headlight turns on and the horn works when The motor is kicked over...Problem is NO SPARK....I have continuity across the condensor to the points...I wondering if I installed the points incorrectly???It looks like they only go on one way.( slotted/keyed)..I did have weak/intermittant spark, before i changed out condensor/points...So I guess I'm up for suggestions ....I don't believe that the coil is bad..Any Help is appreciated...P.S this is for a 50cc moped which I am restoring for my wife...Thanks!!!!!Jimmy G.

------------------

·
Registered
987 Posts
Are the points gapped correctly? Outside of being miswired, which doesn't seem likely, that's the only thing I can think of, other than the coil. Good luck.

------------------

·
Registered
987 Posts
Let me climb in the Wayback Machine....
First, turn crankshaft until the cam is facing away from the points which you are adjusting. Loosen both screws and move point plate until they are lightly touching the cam. Rotate crank until cam opens points to their widest gap. Loosen screws, and adjust this gap until it is about 1.0 - 1.5mm. Use a feeler gauge if you have one, if not what you want is the thickness of about 8 - 9 sheets of paper. Tighten screws, being careful not to let the plate shift while tightening. Repeat for other points (If you have more than one set.) That should get you in the ballpark. You'll need a timing light for fine tuning. Hope this helps

------------------

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After EXTENSIVE troubleshooting, I think, that the condensor is shorted/defective..I get voltage TO the coil, but no spark, no matter WHERE the points are adjusted...Tonight, I'm going to check continuity of the pickup wire, with points open/closed, and see if it changes...Thanks Leon for ALL the input....I really appreciate it!!!!!!Jimmy G

------------------

·
Registered
987 Posts
Jimmy, you didn't get a new condenser with the new points? You used to. I thought more about it last night, and remembered that you loosen both screws to set the plates' position, and then you just loosen one screw to set the gap. Have you verified that the points are opening, and then closing completely? If they don't close completely, then voltage is never built up in the coil. If I remember, there should be voltage going to the coil only when the points are closed. When they open, and cut the circuit, the collapse of the magnetic field generates the spark. The condenser merely stores voltage during the time the points are open to prevent arcing across the points. Be sure that no voltage is going to the coil when the points are open. Do you know the coil is good? If voltage goes to the coil when points are closed, and does not go there when the points are open, and you still dont get a spark, the coil is almost certainly at fault. Hope this helps.......

------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts