Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is the question.....i want to run my bike without the factory slip on for a school project using an decibel meter.....would it be bad for the motor if i ran her with out a muffler? when i say run i mean bring to redline in 1st gear...thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
AudioSolstice said:
im guess not a good idea....:eek:
Why would you file your plugs?

Revving the hell out of the bike when there is no load on it is not good. If you just bring it up to redline a FEW times (not keeping it there) you will be ok.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cbrbob said:
Why would you file your plugs?

Revving the hell out of the bike when there is no load on it is not good. If you just bring it up to redline a FEW times (not keeping it there) you will be ok.
what i meant was taking the bike out for a 5 minute ride after being warmed up with out the "slip-on" on the bike....i never goose it to red line in neutral

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nah, shouldn't hurt anything, cept your eardrums. Drag and GP bikes are run without mufflers all the time. Residents may complain cause it's gonna be loud as hell. The can pictured is half size and it's louuuuud.

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
ranger said:
Nah, shouldn't hurt anything, cept your eardrums. Drag and GP bikes are run without mufflers all the time. Residents may complain cause it's gonna be loud as hell. The can pictured is half size and it's louuuuud.
Yep, it's gonna be LOUD!

·
Registered
925 Posts
This might be helpful, this guy is a bike mechanic:

"Well on any motor there is a such thing as tunable exhaust. Basically meaning you can do whatever as long as the appropriate adjustments are made. The exhaust uses sound waves to cary the exhaust out of the chamber at the appropriate volume and the appropriate speed. That being said how far do you what to go/ willing to spend/ what do you whant out of it. Are you going to weld somthing up your self?

Now taking the mid pipe off and running strait headers can be done with proper adjustments to the intake and fuel track. I have actually seen this produce a lot of power if done right, but includes valve timing (cams), ign. timing, and alternative fuels to keep detination at bay. Without these mods the motor will fry valves in stock form. Not good!

Those moto and superbike exhausts are super flowing for huge air fuel numbers. The Turbo as you probably know is just a recycler thus builds top pressure. So no need for back pressure.

All in all just remember the length and width of that performance pipe is proven to work and any changes to that will affect the porformance of said motor.

Hope this helps, and let me know if you need anything else or don't understand me"

·
Registered
231 Posts
AudioSolstice said:
here is the question.....i want to run my bike without the factory slip on for a school project using an decibel meter.....would it be bad for the motor if i ran her with out a muffler? when i say run i mean bring to redline in 1st gear...thanks
What kind of project is this?? Who can flood their bike first while going deaf? I bet you must like expensive repairs:2cents:

·
Registered
352 Posts
This'll reduce backpressure, less backpressure leans or richens the mix? If it richens you'd be cool but have to clean the plugs right? And if it leans you might burn piston-heads?

·
Registered
386 Posts
On my first bike (a 95 cbr 900rr) I had a full vance and hines system, one day I knocked the bike over and it snapped the hanger, I took the hanger to be welded, and didn't pick it up for damn near 2 weeks, I ran that entire time (and we're talking probably 1400 miles) with no muffler, it was LOUD as hell and my neighbors complained (eventually why I ended up going and picking up the bracket) before I sold it I had it looked over by a mechanic and there were no problems with it, and I rode the hell out of that bike. I actually liked the sound, wish i could run my bike like that all the time :thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts