Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what our local board guys do to me.:( It wasn't enough just stealing the pic from the "Old Farts" thread and beating me up with that.:( :D

There are some funny bastards over there.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
mac020 said:
I meant Dads point. Guess ya slipped in there before me. I think he (Dad) and I are about the same age.
Haha, sorry about that. I kinda wondered who you were referring to, but just assumed it was me. :D

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Have they made any allusions to your eating earwax candy, you old timer?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hey Dad, You ever travel up to the Allegeny Forest? There's a road that runs through the National Park... Highway #666 from East hickory which I think turns into 948 which runs into Rigdway. I plan on making it part of my itinerary next spring. If you have, any tips? Thanx ahead.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Hold on guys to your young punk remarks. I was up at my usual lay around 8:00am, lined up all my gear for the gun range, pulled the jacket heat-up cord, fired up the old 4X4 for it was -4C with 1' of new snow, over whatever else we have now in ice, salt, sand, gravel. Could hear some cages failing to start due to weakened batteries. Mine did well so boosted two cages into life. Mind you many will not drive their cages in such conditions & wait for the Corp to plough & salt/sand the road before they will even try.

Now in & out with 4-wheel drive to arrive at the gun range before the rest, unlocked the gate & churned up like any 4X4 should. Opened the indoor range & up came the rest including the trap shooters ONLY they do not have the indoor range. ONLY avaliable by 4X4 as the road off hwy 97 up to the range is to steep, to narrow, turns to tight & only room for 1.5 cages so the Dept of Hwy will not plough & treat said road.

Some bitching about cold air coming in & I told them that when the fans go on the air must go out & COLD air comes in from outside other wise we will be blowing black snot out of our noses for a day or more.

Halted around 1:30pm only worked on some auto-door stops so no one can complain about said doors closing. We need them closed for all the heat goes upstairs YET we do not receive heat at the indoor range. Just the washroom down & upstairs & rest of the plumming systems upstairs. The cost of natural gas is like the cost of petrol being it is always going up in cost. Hey we are lucky to have natural gas as talked them into & payed the extra for them to tap into the high pressure line for our clubhouse & a caretaker's place.

Finally I am about to take off only up comes two RCMP Constables that are on the Emergency Response Team (what you call SWAT in the USA). Actually the RCMP, Sheriff's Dept, Conservation Dept & such phone me & I will agree on specific days for them to use the range & we will not interfere.

Thing is the Constable & the Cpl (actually the f/arms instructor) need to get prepared for a test. They know they are asking for time I have not given. Had they contacted me then what ever they did would be THEIR responsibility only I was the senior Range Officer & these were my responsible hrs, so we go down as they work out something on their 5.56mm semi-auto short bbled guns only they can use.

They did well & I got to fire around 12 rnds & felt even better for I scored well & have not used one of those, illegal (three shot burst or semi-auto) to us civies, in 12 or 14 yrs & yes I liked it--sort of like a kid with a candy bar. The time waiting was worth it.

Finally home by 4:00pm so the day was a bit long & I have a maze of 45ACP brass to be reloaded along with some 9mm & 38 Spl. I have to get at least half reloaded by Tuesday for I will open the range again that evening for a few. True I have lots of it reloaded, but do not like to get behind.

Okay so I am not whistling around on my m/cs, but at least I am reloading, shooting, & taking on VOLUNTEER jobs that no one else wants to be responsible for. After all it is better to let a 75+ year old do the WORK as they plunk in $2.00 each time & my big saveing is as the h/gun director-instructor I save $2.00--big deal.

Have fun you bums & I hope to gosh you to run into lousy weather in this winter be it in the States or down under Cookee.

Oh yes I do not have dentures & have a cavitie in ,my lower right, & the dentist has me booked for 8:20am to-morrow. Man those money making characters really do like strange hours to haul in their money no I do not have a dental insurance or whatever so many union people have---this comes out of my pocket book.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah, they're always giving me grief about being old.:) Fact is, I wouldn't want to be any other age than I am right now, 52.:eek: ;) I've already done those other ones, I want to see what's next.:D

Funny thing is, they're the ones who complain about the 550 mile day rides in the mountains. Meanwhile, I shortened it up to that to accomodate them.;) Is twue!:)

At twenty-five, 40 seems old. I think I help them to realize they've got a looong time to go having a BALL, as long as they don't crawl under a rock (or skirt), ;) get too many TV channels, or get a set of golf clubs. :D

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Dad said:

At twenty-five, 40 seems old. I think I help them to realize they've got a looong time to go having a BALL, as long as they don't crawl under a rock (or skirt), ;) get too many TV channels, or get a set of golf clubs. :D

I just found my new words to live by.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
My little "signature" came to me, along with how to ride more safetly from this OLD guy. A WWII vet & previously a rider that rode in the late 20s & 30s. I was an 18 yr old hot trotting comp rider in '48, still "Dear Hearts" (name we have him as he was always humming "Dear Hearts & Gentle People" western) was one of wisdom along with a safe ride with no accidents. He perked me up with "you are the best comp rider in this area" & then on to why I should NOT be having these close ones or prangs with cages that go through STOP signs---basically asking me if I was racing then what would I do if a competitor came out of the rhubarb at the right, & my answer was correct, then fired at me about a rider behind me, to the left or coming at me & I was simply befuddled as comp riders do not come from all directions BUT cage drives do. So a defensive form of riding & NOT trusting those others (basically cage drivers) to obey the laws of the road.

Believe me I soaked in his advise & always remember it. So pass it on to the rest of you even though it is the brief version.

Interesting thing is he was at every darn competition I was at (in our area) from '47 till I moved out of that area in '52. True he did miss one due to being ill & I felt lost in not seeing him with his bit of a cigar in his mouth or some words from him. He had never competed, but was still a rider.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts