Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,
Tomorrow morning I'm taking out the Road King for my last ride. A fellow called me from Sacramento and has bought the bike, so I'm delivering it in the morning. At least I'll enjoy a nice couple hour ride through the mountains.

Now I have to actually decide on a new bike!

I'll be at Laguna, looking around for a deal, although I'm leaning pretty heavily towards an Aprilia RSV R. I found a pretty good deal on a year-old one with under 1,000 miles, for a bunch less $$$ than a new one. Heli-bars and I'll be a happy lad.

So no more "token Harley Boy" :D

Look forward to seeing a bunch of you at Laguna next week!

Cheers,
Kev

·
Registered
85 Posts
Congrats and sorry for the loss

I also sold my harely that I had for 6 years. I bought a 748 ducati (yellow). However the maintenance on the italian bikes is too much - duc every 6000 miles need to spend 450 + for scheduled maintenance. I have since traded that in on a
2000 R-1 and let me tell you there is a huge difference in maintenance, performance, and handling. My friend that I ride with also has a 2000 748 Ducati and is trading it in tomarrow for a 2002 R-1.. He rode mine twice and fell in love. Look carefully at the maintenance schedule for the aprilia. The maintenance on an R-1 is at 24-26 thousand miles and cost around under 200. I recommend looking at the yamaha's and ride both. I was also looking at buying an aprilia, but the maintenance is too much. I want to ride not have the bike in the shop. If you look at some of the forums - you will see that the yamaha R-1 is a very well built bike with little or no maintenance.
Jim out

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i didn't really see the aprilia as maintenance intensive. fun bike to ride. i don't like the slipper clutch, but my mille-r owning friend says it's easy to get used to. i found the bike a real joy to ride. surprisingly comfortable, well manored in the city. great on the backroads, pick a gear and you can ride in it all day.

i would miss the roadking if i were in your shoes. but a new bike is new experience.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i would miss the roadking if i were in your shoes.
Everything has a life. While the road king was a comfortable cruise/touring bike, the handling shortcomings were a constant reminder. The Harley was also somewhat akin to wearing a Raider's jacket (sorry raiders fans) but it projects an attitude that isn't me. I don't need a harley to show people I'm a badass (or wannabe) and I'm not suffering from some mid-life crisis either.

If I ever get another Harley, it will likely be an antique, like a Flathead or Knuckle that I can tool around town on at a nice sedate pace. In the mean time, I'm looking forward to light, quick-handling, responsive machines for these lovely roads around here.

Happy trails.
Kev

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Re: Congrats and sorry for the loss

Jims748Duc said:
I also sold my harely that I had for 6 years. I bought a 748 ducati (yellow). However the maintenance on the italian bikes is too much - duc every 6000 miles need to spend 450 + for scheduled maintenance... blah blah blah ;)
Aprilias and Ducatis do not have the same maintenance requirements.

Tahoe, congratulations! Now I know where to look for you this weekend: camped in the Aprilia tent! :drool: ;) :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Maintenance for aprilia mille

I don't want you to get the wrong impression - I like ducati's and aprilia's - I just think that a consideration should be the maintenance schedule. I called a local dealer and he said for an aprilia mille, it's first valve adjustment is at 9600 miles which is a lot better than a ducati - every 6000. The engine on the aprilia is a rotax which is a really good engine. Anyway whatever bike you decide on is one of personal preference and I am sure that you will be really happy with whatever choice.
Jim out

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: Maintenance for aprilia mille

Jims748Duc said:
I don't want you to get the wrong impression - I like ducati's and aprilia's - I just think that a consideration should be the maintenance schedule. I called a local dealer and he said for an aprilia mille, it's first valve adjustment is at 9600 miles which is a lot better than a ducati - every 6000. The engine on the aprilia is a rotax which is a really good engine. Anyway whatever bike you decide on is one of personal preference and I am sure that you will be really happy with whatever choice.
Jim out
the other important distinction is that the Aprilia does not have fancy desmo valves, so you do not need to be at an Aprilia dealership to get them adjusted, just a competend mechanic.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bought my new bike

At Laguna Seca this weekend, I was able to demo the fleet of Aprilias. While I had located a superb deal on a slightly used RSV-R, I found the ergos and lack of 2-up ability to be too much. I also have concerns about my driving record with a machine like that.

After doing the 20 mile loop on the Futura, Falco and Mille, I found the Futura to have the all-around ticket for fun. An ash-gray version will be in my garage in a couple weeks.

After 4 years of 750 pounds with 75 HP, a 500 LBS 100+ HP bike with Brembos and top flight suspenders is going to be a real pleasure!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Congrats.

I can't say much about the Aprilla 'cause they're not found up here. but I hear they're great.

It's gonna suck to be bikeless for awhile.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts