Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious.... Is the MSF course a place to start with 0 experience? Where else would I get experience? Someone who rides already, another class or course?

I also heard that people who take the MSF with zero experience have a chance of not completing it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
they will teach you from ground zero, all you need is the motorcycle gear and be willing to learn. After you have some riding time they have a advanced course, it's worth taking

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Show up with long sleeve shirt or jacket, boots that cover your ankles, gloves, and a good attitude. That's all you need. They provide helmets and motorcycles. If you have your own helmet bring it.

They teach you EVERYTHING, if you don't pass you either have no business on a motorcycle or didn't listen very well or try in the least. It is set up for you to succeed. They gain nothing by you failing and have no reason to fail you unless you MAKE them.

It's also a BLAST if you've never ridden.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Different One,

As everyone was recommending, the MSF is the place to start.
I never rode a motorcycle 'til the 2nd day at the MSF course. I figured the course would either reaffirm my desire to ride a bike or not. The instructors are confidence inspiring and do an excellent job instructing. Ultimately, you will have to pass a road and written exam when all is complete with the 21/2 day course. Trying to pass the road test on Sun. while all the instructors and students are watching can be some what nerve racking, but just do your best and all will run its course. I was lucky to have passed the first time. If you do pass the MSF course, you'll be given a certificate for waiver of the riding exam at the DMV. You still will need to pass the written motorcylce exam at the DMV. Have fun and enjoy getting up REAL early Sat. and Sun. morning. :) I'm glad that you had the good sense to at least entertain the idea of taking the MSF course.

Good luck!

p.s. Also, there's a practial reason for taking the MSF course: can be a discount criteria for insurance companies.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Actually...

apexismaximus said:
...if you don't pass you either have no business on a motorcycle or didn't listen very well or try in the least...
Not always true. My buddy dint pass his first time in the class (got nervous and there was a light rain), but he came back the next class (free re-test) and passed with flying colors. This may or may not be to the generous offer of letting him do some practice on my FJ :D (was I nervous? ya betcha...did he do good? ya betcha with a little coaching - helmet radios make that a cinch btw!).

So if you don't pass the first time - DON'T PANIC. Just think about what went wrong - try not to beat yourself up about it (too badly anyway :p ) and get back on that iron horse! Good luck bro!:D

BTW - def get yerself a nice used bike for your first. You sure don't want to learn how easily plastic scratches with your shiny new super-fast-whizbang!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Re: This may seem like a silly question...

Robski said:
...but what does MSF stand for?

I'm in the UK and we have mandatory bike tests and training before you can go on the road...now.
Motorcycle Safety Foundation

·
Registered
49 Posts
MSF Instructor

www.msf-usa.org

MSF is the best way to go, we teach you from the ground up. Its better if you never rode before, because you wont have any bad habits to un-break. The Basic Riders Course (BRC) is the newest course they offer. Here we supply you the motorcycle and the helmet. You must bring with you over-the-ankle boots, full fingered gloves, Long pants (jeans preferred), and a long sleeve shirt. Depending on the day, rain gear may come in handy. You will ride as long as there is no lightning in the sky. The new BRC is only a 15 hour course. The old Motorcycle rider course (MRC) was 20hrs. The course should be a blast. The Rider Coaches (a.k.a. Instructors) will make sure of that. As long as you listen to what they say and don't horse play, you shouldn't have a problem. Most people that fail either get nervous at the evaluation or just don't get the concept of riding a motorcycle. Not everyone was made to ride a motorcycle. The rider coach will give you all the knowledge needed to pass, but its up to you to pass the riding and written part of the course, which are done at the course, not the DMV. When you graduate you will get a completion card which you take to the DMV and they will issue you your endorsement, no questions asked. If you happened to fail either the written or riding part of the course, most schools will let you retake that part at the next available course. Well good luck to you

The more you know, the better it gets!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I took the course back in 1998 I think, the day we took the test it was raining and everyone there was really nervous, well even in the rain it was pretty easy, I think 2 people failed 1male 1 female, they both dropped the bikes. Just pay attention and you will do fine!

·
Registered
90 Posts
DifferentOne, I took the MSF in New Jersey last month... and it was the most fun I'd ever had! I was incredibly anxious becuase it was something I'd never done before but I had a blast! Could only have been better if there was a BBQ grill with burgers going! The instructors were fantastic. I'd also recommend you grab a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David Houg either before or after MSF.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i felt the same way

hey bro,

im a newbie too and im 15 and took the course like a month ago. i was sooo nervous because everyone had about 20 years of experience and i had about 25 miles lol. but i talked to my instructor and he told me that the newer the rider, the better. because there are no bad habits to try to get rid of. and dont worry about failing. just remember "look into the turn!!!" you'll get this joke when your in the class. good luck!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts