Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you only had a choice between these two bikes which would you chose the yamaha r6 or the ninja zx6r

·
Registered
217 Posts
zx6r

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
conrice said:
+1

Sit on them with feet up at a minimum. There is a rather large difference in position.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I'd go with the kawi, but I'm abit biased. Seems like everyone's got an r6, but that can be a local phenomena.

Either way both are great bikes, so there is no wrong choice here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Depends on the year and looks:

2004 -> R6
2005 -> 6R (love the undertail exhaust and slipper clutch)
2006 -> R6 (except that it is higher now) a close call.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Good point. Slipper clutches rock. Once you try one, you will not go back

·
Registered
217 Posts
the reason i said zx6r is because of the slipper clutch, i love the feel (i feel like im glued to that thing), and i want to cream myself anytime i see one because they're so sexy looking.

but the R6 seems like its going to be one hell of a bike this year. 17,500 rpm redline. theres a link that i found on gsxr.com that has a clip of the R6 hitting the rev-limiter...and damn

go sit on them (once the R6 gets here) and pick im sure they'll both give eachother a run for the money. i doubt any 600 class bike will blow away the rest.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Talking about brand new bikes, I'd take the R6 I think. I like the shorty can on 'em, and they look agressive as hell. rear reduction kit required though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
+1 for the Kawi

I sat on both before i bought mine and was just more comfortable on the 6R. That and I liked the blue that it came in better than the blue the R6 came in.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Unas_the_Slayer said:
Don't tell me you still have the reflectors on! :laughing:
Yes i know. They are hideous. I have to get rid of them, and eliminate the "fender", and get flush mount turn signals, and a seat cowl and remove the rear pegs, and all that good stuff. I just have to find some time. I havent even had much time to ride it since I got it. I got it in the first week in september and it now has 195 miles on it and is now put away for the winter.once march rolls around ill have my liscence and ill be able to ride it more, and ill have time to do the mods that I want to do.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Loud412 said:
Yes i know. They are hideous. I have to get rid of them, and eliminate the "fender", and get flush mount turn signals, and a seat cowl and remove the rear pegs, and all that good stuff. I just have to find some time. I havent even had much time to ride it since I got it. I got it in the first week in september and it now has 195 miles on it and is now put away for the winter.once march rolls around ill have my liscence and ill be able to ride it more, and ill have time to do the mods that I want to do.
If you want to remove the fender here is an easy, and cheap way to do it. first get an intigrated tail lamp from clear alternatives (100) its brighter than the stock tail light, and it lights up half of it in yellow for the turn signal. Next remove the hedious rear fender. Take the stock liscence plate light, and the little liscence plate bracket. Drill two holes in the bottom of your tail, attach the bracket backwards, and attach the plate to it (this way the plate will have a better angle, and will be more visible from the rear). Drill 3 more holes (2 small, one big) and attach the stock liscence plate light. It will make your bike look slightly like a helicopter with that light shining on the tail.
If you want, I can take pictures of my setup (thats exactly what I did) but it will be a little while, all the plastics are in the shop.

·
Registered
351 Posts
leland said:
what about 03/04 because i might get get a used bike.
When did the 636 Debut? 04?

The pre- 636 Ninjas are pretty good bikes to transition to sport bikes on. Not too agressive riding pos, good power delivery, handle pretty well.

03-04 R6s are great bikes too in thier own right. They handle really well, and Yamaha had some pretty cool paint schemes for 04, like the factory flame job. Or was that 05?

I'd take the R6 personally. :thumb:

Good luck.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
'03's were 636's but different from current. More track like suspension, no undertail exhaust, and different plastics.. I think the engine is down a few horses from the current, but its still a fantastic motor.

Damn this advance in technology.. the pre 636 zx6 is a good way to transition to sportbikes? just a few years ago it was one of the fastest 600's on the market...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yeah, it was. But then Kawi fell behind. They caught up again with the intro of the 636.

Best transition Sportbike IMO is the F4i. Followed closely by the YZF 600.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I guess I dont quest understand the concept of transition bike.
If you mean transitioning from a car to a sportbike, even an F4i is abit too much if you ask me. Yes many people do it, and some dont crash ever, but I still think its too much. A season on something none sportbike is in order (a 599 perhaps? Z750?)

However if you are talking about transitioning from a cruiser to a sportbike, I dont think there is one. I trust most any good cruiser rider on a liter bike. Sure it will be a handfull, but they should be able to handle it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts