Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think $3200 is too much for a 2001 500R with 9800 miles on it? I found one that I like, but I'm not sure if that is too much to be asking for it. Thanks.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Nada says you could knock off around 500 bucks from that price. Is it in mint condition, or has it has a few noob accidents, like tip-overs? Has it been maintained properly (ie. timely oil changes, chain-lube and adjustment, and other stuff the manual calls for)? If so, did the guy keep a maintinance log? There are plenty of reasons that I'm sure you can come up with as to why the seller should drop the price a bit. Also, it's still (kinda) winter, so you can work that to your advantage. The guy probably raised the price like that so he can have room to negotiate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It isn't from an owner, but rather from a business that sells used bikes. So does that make any difference? And what should I ask them about the bike? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Buisnesses aren't the easiest places to buy bikes from. They tend to overcharge for the bikes to cover their overhead. But $500 isn't out the question to get knocked off a bike cost. The winter angle might not play out well there though. If they have their own shop there you could go the route of free maintanence for a year or something like that (free oil changes, chain adjustments, carb cleaning? and stuff like that). You should still hit them up for the maintance log for the bike though. You should also bring a print out of the NADA quote as well as KBB just to use as a barganing chip, never hurts to be prepared. But you would probly be able to get a better deal from an individual. Also if you are a new rider, mint condition is not really a good thing, it just makes it hurt more when you drop it. Keep that in mind. Happy hunting.

Good Luck,
Sepias

1 - 4 of 4 Posts