Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which bike is the next logical step up from a kawi ex500? I'm 6'1" and 180lbs so the ex500 feels a little cramped on longer rides. I love the twisties and can confidently use up most of the ex's tires in the turns (still in my first season of riding though). Is the SV650S a good choice or will the difference in performance between the two bikes not be noticed? A 600 supersport is out of the question since I'm under 25 and couldn't afford the insurance.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
+1 on Smitty's comment. I would first go an sit on the bike for awhile and see how it actually feels after sitting on it for maybe 30 minutes. There will definitely be a noticeable difference in the ride and power of the bike.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Get a used 600 at a price you can afford to pay cash or at least without a bank note. Then all you need is liability which should be ~150/year. That's one option.

The sv will have more performance but not much more. The newer ones are a little roomier too IMO, esp the S model with clip ons.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am seelling my cbr600 F3 1998 perfect step up for you, as comfortable as your ex and has way more power,and funner, but still very easy to ride, and power is very easy to handle.

selling mine for $4,500, 11,000 miles can get a nice one for around this price, or slightly banged up for around 3,500 or so

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
F3

I'd love to have that bike but insurance in Ontario must be more expensive than in the States. I'm paying $900/yr for just liability for my EX500! :confused: I'm sure it'll be over 2K for an F3

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Read my Post again. For Ontario Cdn (brief for Canada rather then CA for others would assume that to be California) has really been hit hard the last two yrs & much more so in '04.

In many parts of the States it is so much less in cost.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
SV

SV-650 wouldn't be THAT much of an upgrade over your EX-500in terms of performance. How about an SV-1000?

·
Registered
127 Posts
the sv650 is light years ahead chassis wise over the ex 500. personally if somehow ya could i`m thinkin the cbr, or a zx6, hmmmnn .... sv1000 you might wanna check rates on that.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Power plant as well in the SV-650 being a V-twin. After all the bike was built with the idea of it being FUN to ride.

Without question this is the ideal next step bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 650s is a nice bike, if your rates are not too high the 1000 would be good. Depending on your abilities it is a good bike upgrade, just not a starter. the nice thing about the big twin is the power and ability to make mistakes :)

Little things like being in too low of a gear are not a big issue as it will pull fine, and its power is nice and even so it should nto surprise you.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Rather then hiking up to a 1000 cdma2k is suggesting a bike equal to the Yamaha YZF600r.

Yet Franchise point out a 600 sportbike would be out of question due to the extreme costs of insurance in Ontario Cdn & remember Ontario Canada is not the personal State of many on this board nor is it part of the USA though some of you probably do feel Cdn is just like the USA or even part of it!!!!!

So dream on about 1000cc & whatever he knows financially there is a problem with the insurance in his Province of Ontario Canada & I think many of the above have lost track of what the Thread was originally about.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Smitty?

The ZZR600 is a sport-tourer, not a sportbike. Does cdn insurance not note the difference? Or did I misread your reply?

I have in my garage right now, next to the 10R, a 1994 6E, the bike that evolved into the ZZR-600, and was precursor to the 6R.

IMHO, it's a sport-tourer, and should not get anyone significantly higher insurance rates after an EX-500, but has good tractible power and a nice seating position, which is what Franchise was looking for, I think.

cdma2k

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Both the Kwacker ZZ-R600 & the Yamaha YZF600r have been looked upon as sometimes a sporttouring bike but then sometimes as a sportbike.

Each Province of Cdn is somewhat different & I think it is the same is many of the States in the USA.

So really I cannot judge how the Province of Ontario views a ZZ-R600 as compared to the ZX-R6 though good hunch it would be the same as in many Provinces like the Yamaha YZF600R the same as the YZF R6.

In fact in the February issue of Cycle Canade they did a compairson test & looked upon the ZZ-R600 as the better of the two.

Here in the Province of B.C., they judge the bikes on engine size only. Like from 0 to 100cc, 101cc to 400cc, 401cc to 750cc, 751c to 1000cc & I think it is 1001cc to 1300cc.

Also there is quite a difference between the compulsory insurance through the Insurance Corp of B.C., being Provincially run while Ontario automotive insurance has nothing to do with the Provincial Govt & the are out to the sharks, being the privately owned insurance companies in Ontario.

This is why I pointed out that Franchise stated "--A 600 supersport is out of the question since I'm under 25 and couldn't afford the insurance.--"

I think the under 25 bit is the killer to him. As of to date he has made no comment so in reality he has not come out with figures or what ever to prove his point.

Personally I feel either of those bikes to be ideal bikes as a sensible next step & feel your suggestion was good ONLY look back on his words.

Others were talking about 1000cc & lord knows what which was completely out of text like better insurance in their State, etc. I agree with you, but we have to go by his words & the fact that we Cdns know cage & m/c people were being hit overly hard by the private insurance firms in Ontario in last two yrs & especially in '04.

I hope you will not think that I used your name to gun you down only that I felt it correct to point out his bit "--A 600 supersport is out of the question--" .
& possibly the 650 SV would be the same!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ontario Rates

To put the Ontario insurance rates in perspective...these rates are liability coverage ONLY.

An '03 SV650S would cost $1608/yr
An '03 SV1000S would cost $3684/yr

and these are considered sport-touring bikes. I'm 22 with one speeding ticket and one not at fault accident.

They won't even quote me on a CBR600 (no matter how old). Once they hear under 25 years old and look in their book and discover that the bike I'm looking at is considered a sportbike they pretty much tell me not to bother. One insurance agent told me I'm probably looking at almost 6K! :finger:

It looks like the 650S might be the most feasible choice...or else I'll have to keep my EX500 for another 3 years till I'm 25

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Have you suggested the Kwacker ZZRR600 or the Yamaha YZF600R & pointed out this are a sport-touring bike with designs dating back to mid-90 & have not been altered.

Pointing out they are not like the up to date & modern designs of Yamaha YZF R6 or the Kawasaki ZX-R66.

Also the two bikes you mentioned are looked upon as bikes of the past, & so basically called SPORTS-TOURING by many m/c magazings. Also both are several thousand dollars lower in price then the normal sportbkes due to the mild HP & more of a comfortable riding position.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts