Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Tim, and I'm just getting into sportbikes. I'm buying a '05 R6 in a week or two. Any suggestions are welcome!
 

·
Resident Smart Ass!
Joined
·
3,933 Posts
Welcome! :hello:


Is this your first bike?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jester said:
Welcome! :hello:


Is this your first bike?
First sportbike, yes. I've gotten a little flack about getting the r6 as my first SB, so I know it's a serious machine. I'm also considering the Kawasaki z1000.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sidewaysducati said:
Welcome to the site!

If you haven't ridden any motorcycles before, give some thought to which bike should be your first.
:thumb:
Up until this point, I've only ridden cruisers. But for a mature adult rider, is the r6 really too much to start on, or is that just for irresponsible riders who will push it too hard, too fast? I have several friends who started on an r6, and they had no problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,173 Posts
IMO, with a consistent mature approach, the 600 is much less a safety risk than the literbike. IMO, no matter how mature one is, with the present day's literbikes being as powerful and responsive as they are, a literbike for one's first sportbike is really rolling the dice.

I'll just tell you my experience (which compared to MANY on here is VERY limited..)

I started with dirtbikes, riding off the roadways and got a general feel for bikes. Then I got a '79 Suzi GS850 (standard issue streetbike). I also rode an '82 Virago (the cc escapes me at the moment..) during this time.

Then I got a Duc '94 SS900, dyno'd at 72 rwhp. (I mention the hp just to make the point that a literbike in '94 was about half the bike that a literbike today is.) Because of the geometry of a sportbike and other 'learner' factors, I lowsided the bike 2 times at wayyy under 5mph. If it had been a brand new bike, the damage would have been upsetting, and I would have felt obligated to fix it. Not to mention that today's bikes have more bodywork, and it's more expensive to replace. If it were new, I'd have had to buy a brake lever, a clutch cover, a turn signal, and a few other nickel and dime items. As it was, I forgot all about the damage and continued to ride, losing no money.

So the way I see it, even with the most mature and adult non-squid approach, one's first sportbike is going down. It comes down to a monetary thing from my point of view. Everything I've said refers to a non-literbike. Literbikes are a different story altogether. IMO, these days with literbikes all having close to or more than 150rwhp, I would say that starting off on one of those is VERY risky. Then the worry goes from dollars to safety.:2cents:

EDIT: It's also worth noting that the Duc I got at 900cc, had less power than a new 600cc bike does. So even then, it's a very touchy bike, Especially considering how light ALL sportbikes are in recent years.

It would be easier on you and your wallet to get a feel for sportbikes on something older, less powerful and cheaper, IMO.:2cents:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sidewaysducati said:
IMO, with a consistent mature approach, the 600 is much less a safety risk than the literbike. IMO, no matter how mature one is, with the present day's literbikes being as powerful and responsive as they are, a literbike for one's first sportbike is really rolling the dice.

I'll just tell you my experience (which compared to MANY on here is VERY limited..)

I started with dirtbikes, riding off the roadways and got a general feel for bikes. Then I got a '79 Suzi GS850 (standard issue streetbike). I also rode an '82 Virago (the cc escapes me at the moment..) during this time.

Then I got a Duc '94 SS900, dyno'd at 72 rwhp. (I mention the hp just to make the point that a literbike in '94 was about half the bike that a literbike today is.) Because of the geometry of a sportbike and other 'learner' factors, I lowsided the bike 2 times at wayyy under 5mph. If it had been a brand new bike, the damage would have been upsetting, and I would have felt obligated to fix it. Not to mention that today's bikes have more bodywork, and it's more expensive to replace. If it were new, I'd have had to buy a brake lever, a clutch cover, a turn signal, and a few other nickel and dime items. As it was, I forgot all about the damage and continued to ride, losing no money.

So the way I see it, even with the most mature and adult non-squid approach, one's first sportbike is going down. It comes down to a monetary thing from my point of view. Everything I've said refers to a non-literbike. Literbikes are a different story altogether. IMO, these days with literbikes all having close to or more than 150rwhp, I would say that starting off on one of those is VERY risky. Then the worry goes from dollars to safety.:2cents:
Gotcha.....what about an older R6, say a '01 compared to a '05? The main thing that makes me like the R6 is the look. If there was an r6 with the performance of a 600, i would get it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,173 Posts
Ahh.

To me, comfort is more important than looks, so if you're going to tour on it, the 600R would be where I'd go.

Also, I saw 'R6' mentioned in the first post in this thread, and assumed (made an ass out of u and me) that you were kicking around the idea of race replicas, so all that talk of safety and such was aimed more at that.

I think the STs are a little more friendly, but I've never ridden one, so don't quote me on it.:p

Confused am I. Beer need now.:confused: :huh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sidewaysducati said:
Ahh.

To me, comfort is more important than looks, so if you're going to tour on it, the 600R would be where I'd go.

Also, I saw 'R6' mentioned in the first post in this thread, and assumed (made an ass out of u and me) that you were kicking around the idea of race replicas, so all that talk of safety and such was aimed more at that.

I think the STs are a little more friendly, but I've never ridden one, so don't quote me on it.:p

Confused am I. Beer need now.:confused: :huh:
That makes two of us!

Do you know anything about the Kawasaki ZZR 600? I think it's a really good looking bike for around 7 grand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
I realize I've changed my mind and tastes over the years (for those who've been with me all this time know this). But does anyone have any objections to me getting an '04 Yamaha FZ6? I mean, damn, I've been waiting a lonnnnnng time! Comments and criticisms are welcome, and always have been. I know ya'll'll take care of me, and tell me if you think it's a bad move.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,448 Posts
UndrTkrCd said:
...does anyone have any objections to me getting an '04 Yamaha FZ6?...
Mate, you're a big boy now. Whilst people on this site may offer their opinions (their :2cents: ), I don't think anyone's going to "object" to you buying whatever you want. I think the general consensus amongst most people on this site is "start smaller to live longer".

I started riding on a ZZR 250, mainly because my fiance was also a new rider. There are a lot of people here who started on 500 / 600's and it does have one big advantage, namely not having to upgrade your bike too quickly. We were always going to have two bikes, so that wasn't an issue for us.

Just use common sense, both when selecting your ride and when using it.:2cents:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Thanks, Cookee!

I appreciate your comments. I have, and will always value the advice, suggestions and opinions of all of my friends here.

I promise that common sense will always dictate; that's never been an issue. But, over my years here, the problem has always been: which bike? Every day and every year I see new and old bikes. But keep saying: Which would be best for me? Many factors go into a prospective ride, and I have a lot of things to consider. I know the bike could care less, because it's a machine. All it says is: Buy me! Ride me!

Ok..that's it! I'm gettin' an R-1!:D ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,849 Posts
UndrTkrCd said:
Thanks, Cookee!

I appreciate your comments. I have, and will always value the advice, suggestions and opinions of all of my friends here.

I promise that common sense will always dictate; that's never been an issue. But, over my years here, the problem has always been: which bike? Every day and every year I see new and old bikes. But keep saying: Which would be best for me? Many factors go into a prospective ride, and I have a lot of things to consider. I know the bike could care less, because it's a machine. All it says is: Buy me! Ride me!

Ok..that's it! I'm gettin' an R-1!:D ;)
:huh:

Im sending you a pm, i gots a question.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Ahhhhh. Those words of yours cookee are so refreshing. You see, I'm starting out on a 600 ('03 F4i) and all I ever heard, especially from this forum was, "you're gonna die", "it's the last bike you'll ever see unless you get really lucky" and other remarks of that nature. I've accomplished a full riding season without a single spill, crash, burn, or traffic violation. Why you ask? Because I made sure that I had control of the bike everytime I ride. To this point I'm still afraid to hit 10G's of revs on this bike. That's the kind of respect I have for it. Also, my riding was only to work and school which is about 10 miles roundtrip each. You see, different people have different situations, so don't cheat yourself out of a bike you don't really want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Is this something new?

Newbie or not, is having a little common sense and being in control of your machine something new? I thought that was a given:confused:

Waxmasterr, keep doing what you're doing, because you must be doing something right, no matter what you ride:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I've never been a fan of someone (anyone) getting a sport bike of any kind as their first street bike.

For some one that has been riding other street bikes I think the main concern is to get one that fits your hight and wieght. You should always feel comfurtable on it as well. I sat on one of the new Yamaha's(750 I think) and I felt like I was going over the handle bars just sitting there. I'll never ride one of them because of that. I liked the Honda 1200 till I leaned it to a 70% angle. It's just to heavy for me. I could barely hold it up at that angle. The first time I sat on the Triumph ST I felt like I hand just sliped on a nice leather glove. I could move it anywhere I wanted it. I didn't even bother to check out Ducati's S4 after that piont . Then I read all the reviews I could find and talked to anyone that was on one that I could find. They all said the same thing. "Hands down the best Sport Touring machine on the market. I was sold and so will it be in less then two more weeks now.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top