Sportbike World banner

Newbie here, need advice

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  FZR400Tony 
#1 ·
Hey all, I've been lurking on the boards here for a while, checking things out. I'm going to get a bike in the next few months, and had a few questions. You guys all seem pretty helpful, so here goes..

My info:
I'm 26, 6'1", 160lbs. Live in LA. (feel like I'm placing a singles ad) I plan on taking things very slowly in terms of my riding abilities, and have no illusions about popping wheelies or doing 120mph anywhere. Very conservative stuff. I've been riding dirt bikes quite a bit, but never even sat on a sportbike.
I'd like to spend $2k - $3k on a new bike, plus gear.

Questions:
Size - I was looking at a Ninja 250, but this board convinced me to up to an EX500 or a 600 something. I'd like to eventually be able to take my girlfriend on the back of the bike and cruise around. Is a 250 out of the question?

Honda or Kawasaki - Give the size (250 - 600) and my $$, I'm looking at Ninjas and CBRs. Also, what about a Seca? They seem inexpensive, any thoughts?

Shipping - I might look in Phoenix too (I'm there alot). Anyone know what it takes to ship a bike between states? Cost, Time, etc.?

Miles - How many is too many? Most of the ads I've seen for used bikes are around 14k to 20k. Is this alot for a bike that's a few years old? For cars, people put on 10k to 14k miles a year, for bikes I really have no frame of reference.

Thanks in advance!

------------------

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, a 250 is way too small for you if you have been riding dirt bikes. At 6"1' it would be brutal and bore you too dead. Motorcyclist's october issue addresses this stuff. An EX500 or GS500 would work well for you for a year or 2. Some of the budget 600 would be a good bet, Kantana, Secca, Bandit, the old Ninja 600. These bikes are all good for well over 30,000 if well cared for.

Be careful to not get an abused starter bike. many people buy these bikes riden for a couple of years with little or no maintenance. All of them need regular maintenance to assure a long life. Check the chain and sprockets, tires and oil for signs of abuse. There are a lot of good buys out there for under 3K if you shop.

Good luck

------------------

#4 ·
Look for an older(mid-90s) Honda CBR600F3(F2), Yamaha YZF600R, FZR600, Suzuki Katana 600/750, or Kawasaki ZX-6D(or whatever that last letter is supposed to be). ;)

The mileage you mentioned is not bad for these bikes and all are capable of 2-up. These bikes are also pretty easy to learn on. :cool:

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

#6 ·
I agree with considering an EX/Ninja 500. It is a great bike to learn on. It's easy to ride, smooth power delivery, enough power to be interesting but not too much to get you in trouble too soon. And you can go two up on it, though it does tax the motor a bit. However as it is nearly bulletproof if taken care of that will work out.

You can find a pretty clean example for $2,500 or there abouts. Plenty of spare parts around, so look for a clean example.

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3

#7 ·
Just so you know, I had never ridden dirtbikes or anything before I got my bike. Two of my friends plus myself all bought 600's (my FZR, an F3, and a katana). All of us learned to ride them with nothing more major than a 2 mph fall over. I would think since you have ridden dirtbikes that you could get a 600 and learn to ride it pretty easily and still have the power under you to not be bored with it once you did learn. I LOVE my FZR, but looking back, I think it is a little high-strung to learn on. The katana and CBR seem much smoother and not as "jumpy". Not really a major concern, but just something to think about. I also think the Katana has a better seat for carrying a passenger compared to my FZR. I am sure most people wouldn't recommend the katana, but it has worked out well for my friend. As stated before, I would stay away from the 250.

------------------
97 FZR 600
D&D Carbon Fiber Pipe

1990 5.0 Mustang

#8 ·
2000-3000 for bike and gear, yikes!!!

okay, try a cbr600f1 (hurricane 600) with a lot of miles. should be around 2000.

next, get a good helmet, arai, shoei, agv, hjc, look at spend 300-600 depending on how styling you wanna be.

newenough.com should help you with the rest of your gear.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

#10 ·
I just bought a nice 1990 Kawasaki EX500(pre-Ninja) with only 1487 miles for $2000.00. It also has the Lockhart lower cowling(current list about $400.00).The bike is almost perfect.It redlines like at 11,000 rpm or something(which I don't plan to ever see).I haven't ridden it two-up yet, so I can't say anything on that subject.The bike is great fun to ride, and this from a guy with 36 years and 15 other motorcycles behind him.I wasn't even looking for a "sports bike" per se, but when I saw the add, I decided to go for a look.I fell in love with the bike during the road test, but I should say that I don't care about the latest, high tech, fastsest, etc. But from what I've heard, don't get the 250 Ninja if you are 6' tall and plan to ride two-up.
Birdmove

------------------

#11 ·
Ok, I'm looking at a '94 EX 500, with 16300 miles. It's in good shape, runs good.

Does this sound like a good deal? Seems like a lot of miles to me. What kind of tune-up should I have done on it, to make sure it's in top shape?

Also, I might pick it up tomorrow, but I'm can't take the MSF course until early October. Is this completely foolish?

Thanks for your help!

------------------

G
#12 ·
You seem to have some common sense!

Normally I would suggest keeping off the bike , and the roads until you take the course... but if
you live directly across the street from a mall, go putz around in the lot after hours.

You said you were 26, so I assume you have your car licence, You've driven a bike before(at least a dirt bike) so you understand a little more..... I would then suggest you find a friend and go with him...and be cautious. :)

Just my opinion

Oh I almost forgot.. Excellent pick!!! They are great bikes!!!

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

[This message has been edited by Squidwannabe (edited September 01, 2000).]

#13 ·
ex500 is a GREAT choice. the engine is bulletproof, it's fast enough and not too too fast.

but about this picking it up before msf. i'd say don't ride it on the street til you're liscensed. (damn spelling!)

if you're already licensed, then maybe consider proceeding cautiously. how far from where you're going to pick it up to home? better to get someone to ride it for you than run a buncha safety and legal risks...

my $.02

------------------

#14 ·
I'm in LA, but I'm driving back down to San Diego tomorrow to give it a final once over and hopefully pick it up. I'll load it in my truck and bring it home.

I live near a school so I'll play in the parking lot while I get used to the bike.

Like I said, I have no illusions about even going near a busy street until the MSF course, but it seems like a good deal, and an EX500 in my range goes quick, so I thought I'd get it.

I called my State Farm about adding the bike to my car and renters policy, it's only $18 a month with liability, uninsured, and collision. That was a lot less than I was expecting so that's cool.

------------------

#15 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pudding7:
Ok, I'm looking at a '94 EX 500, with 16300 miles. It's in good shape, runs good.

Also, I might pick it up tomorrow, but I'm can't take the MSF course until early October. Is this completely foolish?

Thanks for your help!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

first of all, that's about 2500 miles/yr. no big deal. as mentioned they are bullet-proof. i would never buy a bike that was 6 years old with like 2,000 miles. it likely sat ignored or the odo is wrong. just my opinion. sure there's the azscott's of the world with a sh!+ load of bikes and can only ride so many and likely still takes care of them, but that ain't the norm.

still not a bad idea to have a shop look at it first (you never know). they may find something to help you on the price a bit. offer to pay for the look-see and if you buy to have half taken off the price.

as for the msf course, it's great that they are filling up. did you try to take it earlier as an alternate? some instructors may let you go in.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.