Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd try to introduce myself without sounding like a complete newbie. I'm from Lancaster, Pa and I have to say that I've learned a lot just from reading your threads. It took me a while to figure out what 'cager' meant, but I got it now...I definitely was a 'cager' and still am to some extent...what can I say, I like imports...I decided that this was the year for something more exciting though, so first I got a helmet cuz I thought it'd be cool...then I got a license...even cooler, then finally I couldn't wait any longer so I got a 2 wheeler...2k2 Kawi Ninja zx-6r...I know...there are a lot of you who dislike ninjas, but it's a great starter bike...I figured I'd at least live for a while on this one...I rode it off the lot on July 1st, (for the most part never rode a bike before)...was really impressed with my initial handling of the speed (a whopping 25mph...woohoo) and it's now a little over a month older and I've turned 1300 miles today...I pretty much parked my 'cager' and there's where it stays. I'm open to any suggestions as to not be an idiot on the bike, and I'm sooo happy with the comradery of other riders (yes...even the harley kind...since I do live in Harley country)...I thank you all ahead of time as I see everyone is really supportive to newbies...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Just use your brain and you'll be fine. Don't try to keep pace with riders more advanced with you, only ride at your comfort level.

the 6R is an excellent bike, and I'm sure you'll have lots of good times on it. :cool:

·
Registered
591 Posts
drluv318 said:
I know...there are a lot of you who dislike ninjas, but it's a great starter bike...
Starter bike? Now you're really starting to sound like a newbie! :D
Actually, those of us with more than a couple of brain cells (we don't buy our bikes based on what motomag writers preach) will tell ya there's a lot to like 'bout Kawasakis. True, they don't get any respect from press wonks and newbies, and mebbe it's just me, but I seem to notice many older riders opting for Kawasakis.
Mebbe they know something, or are just comfortable enough with themselves to not haff to stroke their ego with something a press wonk tells 'em is the greatest?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think you picked a great bike, but I'm biased :) My 6R is my first bike as well, and I admit I was real tentative on it at the beginning. Taking the MSF basic class really made a night and day difference in my confidence level and my general road awareness, so I'd recommend it wholeheartedly. I guess if I had to give one pointer, it would be "the bike will go where you look." Stay safe, and have fun on that bike!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Whatever happened to buying an $800 GS450 or CB500 for a first bike? I can't imagine myself at 19 with zero experience riding a ZX6R. Jesus. Be careful.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My first bike is a 2001 Kawasaki ZX-6R. I love it.

I rode my buddies 2001 R6 through some mountain twisties, and when I got off, my back hurt really bad from the crunched position. The Kawi's are very comfortable, and can still keep up with the best of them. Just look at the AMA races that Eric Bostrom wins. He's been winning all over the place on his Kawi 7R and 6R.

I've started to experiment with wheelies. So far I can only do 1st gear clutch wheelies, but i'm not standing up.. I'll try that a bit later, when I have on my Joe Rocket Highside suit just to be safe.

Oh, and whenever I drag race with my buddy when he's on his R6, I kick his butt. He's only beat me like 3 times.....

·
Registered
426 Posts
lord tim said:
Whatever happened to buying an $800 GS450 or CB500 for a first bike? I can't imagine myself at 19 with zero experience riding a ZX6R. Jesus. Be careful.
Where can I get one of these $800 GS450 or CB500? For that price, I'll take one! :D :drool:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
why spend money on somethign that I'd grow out of in a few months...I figured go with something a little bigger, and I'll grow into it...I'm sure you don't use your bathtub to see if you like to swim before you buy a pool...or paint one side of the house to see if you like it, then maybe a few months down the road you decide that this is the color you want for the whole house....ok so that one's sorta dumb..but you get the idea

·
Registered
426 Posts
get some frame sliders if you're starting wheelies.... fairings are expensive!

If I can have a second bike for $800 more.... why the hell not? :D

·
Registered
848 Posts
Hi there drluv318!!! Always good to see another PAer in here. :D The Pittsburghers meet up over in the "Local Rides" forum under "Northeast" and the thread entitled "Anyone in the Pgh area" or something like that.

As for those of you who recommended something smaller for a first bike: I started out on my dad's BMW F650GS Dakar, then took the MSF course, passed, and bought myself a 1991 GS500. I am bored. It really is lacking in terms of any sort of power. I have changed the plugs, but not cleared the carbs yet, so I'm hoping I'll find a little more excitement that way. And I like to think of myself as a very grounded rider... after riding for a total of about 1500 miles in 5-6 mos I have never tried a wheelie, whereas most newbs it seems try wheelies before riding. Anyhoo, I regret only getting a 500. Sure, it's a girlie bike, but I am really a bit too tall for it at only 5'9" and it doesn't keep up well with the rest of the riders I go around with...

Just thought I'd say hi and drop a few pennies on the table. :D

·
Registered
848 Posts
limegreen6R said:
I'll give you $800 for your bike.... :cool:
I'll give you a swift kick in the behind!!! :eek: Nah, I'm just a big joker... Don't mind me...

I wouldn't give up my baby that easily. I love my aftermarket fairing!!! :D How many GS500 owners can say that??? ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts